Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Lillie55
Lillie55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Problem with downloading new Kindle books

Hello,

I have used Calibre for converting kindle-files to epub or PDF for a long time and it had been working fine.

However, today when I purchased new digital books on Amazon and tried to download them firstly on my Kindle 4 PC, as I have always done, nothing happened and couldn't download the new books on my PC.

Maybe it's because I am using an older version of Kindle 4 PC (so that it still can convert Kindle-files) and the device couldn't synchronize with my account at Amazon.

I don't have Kindle-device and therefore need to convert those books to epub or PDF format, but how can I do in such a situation?

I know that I need to add book-files to Calibre in order to convert them, but in this case, how can I add them?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Lillie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie55 View Post
...nothing happened and couldn't download the new books on my PC.
Some more detail would help us help you.

Do the new books show up in your Kindle for PC Library under "All"?
What happens when you right-click one and select Download? (Normally there is a progress bar for the download operation.)
Have you tired restarting your PC?

Last edited by jhowell; 06-12-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Lillie55
Lillie55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi jhowell,

Thank you for your kind reply, it solved at last!

By your reply I got a hint and tried with first unregister and then registered again, then it began working properly!

Thank you so much for your help!!
Lillie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to hear it!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
VHales
VHales began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Cannot download ebook I purchased from amazon

Hello,

I have similar problem although not exactly the same. I purchased an ebook at amazon.com. I opened Calibre, clicked get books, found the book I was looking for, and righted clicked on the book. However, the download button that appears with right click is grayed out (means inactive). This is with me logged in at amazon.com.

I tried to solve it by logging out and then back into amazon.com, restarted Calibre, and also restarted the computer itself. Still nothing. I am using Debian Jessie with XFCE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
VHales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect that book (format) is not available for side loading OR you might be (your PC) in a Geo-restricted country for that title
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHales View Post
I have similar problem although not exactly the same. I purchased an ebook at amazon.com. I opened Calibre, clicked get books, found the book I was looking for, and righted clicked on the book. However, the download button that appears with right click is grayed out (means inactive). This is with me logged in at amazon.com.
The "Download" option within calibre's Get Books is meant for sites that make books available for free, such as public domain books from Archive.org. It cannot download your purchased books from Amazon.

Getting your purchased books into calibre from Amazon requires a different process. If you don't own a Kindle device you will need to install Kindle for PC. See the thread: Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre
Old 06-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
VHales
VHales began at the beginning.

Device: pc
theducks:
It's not geo-restricted problem. By the way, I live in USA.

jhowell:
That will work if I use windows. Unfortunately, I use Linux.

Because of that, I tried to just read from https://read.amazon.com/ , but for whatever reason, if I click right button, page skips like eight pages, instead of one. If I try to use slider, that didn't work, that skips pages as well.

I called amazon and chat with an amazon associate with this problem for 2 hours, but they couldn't provide any solution, other then it's probably because I use Linux. But I am using cloud reader, namely, just reading from web https://read.amazon.com/

Anyone have any ideas?
VHales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

You may be able to run Kindle for PC under Linux using Wine.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Another Linux user here, you can get a version of the Kindle for PC app running in Wine under Linux. I've only purchased 4 books from Amazon's store (my devices are mostly Nook and Kobo), but I was able to retrieve all 4 of them using the app in Wine then performing the appropriate actions to get them into Calibre.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, epub, kindle