Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
tarq
Enthusiast
tarq began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E, Sony 700
http pages and cybook

DAK if I have an SD card full of downloaded pages (like this one) for instance, would I be able to put the card into a 'cybook' and read the pages/files individually, or would I have to fiddle with them first?

I'm thinking of finally pushing the boat out and purchasing an ereader. I've narrowed the selection to a cybook, bebook or sony505, but still unsure which to buy. There doesn't seem much choice in UK.

I don't expect to download 'real 'books to read as I prefer to browse web pages with reading content, including pdf files.

Any suggestions as to which is the best for this type of reading?

TIA
tarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
AFAIK, although the Cybook supports HTML natively, its a one-file-at-a-time deal with no external linking, not to other HTML files or even images.

My rec would be to get a Sony Reader and use EPUB, which is basically "HTML in a ZIP file" and which calibre will generate for you.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Correct: one html file, no outside connection (to other pages) functionality and no images recognition.

If you go with the Cybook you can easy convert your html files to prc with Mobipocket Creator, who it's free.
Or.. do it with Calibre, who will be having the prc creation option very soon.

Best shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Or.. do it with Calibre, who will be having the prc creation option very soon.
"Soon" being "now" -- just only from the command-line while the bugs shake out.

But despite that I still recommend the Reader especially if you mostly have HTML. HTML->EPUB involves no content conversion, and thus is most likely to render as expected, especially given that AdobeDE is the most advanced on-e-ink-device renderer currently available.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
AFAIK, although the Cybook supports HTML natively, its a one-file-at-a-time deal with no external linking, not to other HTML files or even images.

My rec would be to get a Sony Reader and use EPUB, which is basically "HTML in a ZIP file" and which calibre will generate for you.
Not even any internal links, let alone external .

However, it's trivial to convert HTML to Mobi using Mobi Creator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
tarq
Enthusiast
tarq began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E, Sony 700
Thanks for all the info.

I basically just read http pages then delete them.

IE: forum pages and wiki pages etc.

It would be nice to have somewhere to dump the pages so I could read them on an ereader, when the computer is being used by someone else.

But if each page has to be run through a converter first, it's not so useful, unless it can be done 'en masse'.

I really don't understand all the various formats and terms used so it has to very simple.
tarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think the BeBook offers better HTML support than the CyBook. That might be worth a look.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look for the BookIt firefox extension
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi llasram

You are completely correct of course and now it’s possible to create prc files from the command line.
I have just not put it so, as I think people will find it really full implemented when it appears as an option from Calibre graphical interface.

BTW: thank you for the hard work you have put in this forum’s projects and this one in special.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 01-21-2009 at 10:53 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote