Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Voting with Wallets?
No. If the offending viewpoint isn't reflected in the work in question, to NOT buy it would be censorship. 3 3.13%
Maybe. If the offending viewpoint is reflected in the work in question, I don't have to buy and read it. 15 15.63%
Yes. Why support an author with whom I disagree? There are lots of other authors out there who need my money. 61 63.54%
None. Your poll options are too long and do not accurately reflect my opinions. Even this option is not accurate. 17 17.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Is there a difference between boycotting Clooney movies because of his personal opinions and boycotting Clooney movies because they are dreadful?

I kid, I kid. Please don't kill me with sheep.
Can we do it with a wet Kobo? Please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #62
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So without bringing up He Who Must Not Be Named
Is this like not saying Sauron's name or something? Who is this curious soul?

I found @kiwipippa's post interesting. I guess in her example I still don't see any issue (similar to @anamardoll) with the stores not selling it. These days you can sell direct or publish your own ebooks etc. If the stores didn't wish to sell I don't see any reason they should feel compelled to.

Anyway I definately don't feel a need to buy things I don't wish to read, that doesn't mean I have any issue with people writing them.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #63
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Oh, for goodness sake people, it's Orson Scott Card with a side serving of Larry Niven. Just please don't let's get into their actual ideals because that way lies derails and locked threads.

Google them if you're not sure what they espouse.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #64
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, for goodness sake people, it's Orson Scott Card with a side serving of Larry Niven. Just please don't let's get into their actual ideals because that way lies derails and locked threads.

Google them if you're not sure what they espouse.
Sorry honestly didn't know who you were referring to and/or that it was such a touchy subject. You'd probably have been better saying nothing in the original post as it does make the unknowing curious as to what you may be referring to (actually thought it may have been some other forum member).
Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #65
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problems. The "goodness sake" was because it's been asked and answered already in this thread. More than once.
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #66
molman
Evangelist

Quote:
No problems. The "goodness sake" was because it's been asked and answered already in this thread. More than once.
Sorry I did skim/cheat and read begining and end
Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #67
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

S'alright.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #68
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i sometimes willingly buy books with controversial opinions just to see what the hubub was about. i own mein kampf and the turner diaries for example. i think controversy actually sells more books. i didn't know about this o.s.c book and i probably wouldnt go out of my way for it but if it should cross my path i'd probably take a look at it.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #69
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
The old saying "There's none so blind as those that will not see." fits that scenario quite nicely... yes? The whole thing is quite humorous though. Just think of how riveted people were to their news casts and papers through the entire affair. Did they think the Television stations, newspapers and tabloids were just reporting it for free? Just doing it to 'Get the News out' ? Nope, they were doing it to make a profit and the people now protesting were the ones gobbling up all the gruesome details as quickly as they came on-air or off the presses.
Agree, some great comments there.

If Gadaffi ever wrote an autobiography, would people refuse to buy it? Somehow I think it would be near the top of the best seller list.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #70
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I went with the final option.

I buy books I disagree with by authors I disagree with, and I do so frequently. I do this in order to grow as a person, to develop a deeper understanding of views contrary to my own, and to generally support the free exchange of ideas.

That said, I find certain views reprehensible and unworthy of my investigation, and I won't purchase books promoting those views. For instance, I will not buy Tim Allen's Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man, because it assumes that Tim Allen exists and is funny. This notion disgusts me.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #71
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Is this like not saying Sauron's name or something?
Great, now we have to worry about the Eye of Sauron focused on this thread!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #72
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
For instance, I will not buy Tim Allen's Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man, because it assumes that Tim Allen exists and is funny. This notion disgusts me.
LOL

You, sir, win 10 internets.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #73
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Is this like not saying Sauron's name or something?
I think you mean Voldemort.

I don't remember there being any reluctance to saying Sauron's name in LotR.

That's right! You've just been schooled, geek style!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #74
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
I look at that my money contributes to the writers who I enjoy; so that they can continue writing more books I will enjoy. By doing so I also am contributing to the general concept of keeping reading alive and more specifically keeping certain genres alive. For example I enjoy stories related to Troy. So buying a book by a writer doing this topic supports him and the genre. This is how I see it.
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #75
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Paradox - If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cat's back (butter facing up), and then drop the cat... How will it land? Cat on its feet, or buttered side down?
I once owned a cat. That cat would have eaten the toast and landed on the dog.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote