Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
kytrid
kytrid began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Mars, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Any way to turn off auto-hyphenation?

I like a lot about my new Likebook Mars, don't get me wrong. Just finished my fifth book on it.

There's one thing, though, that drives me a little crazy-- The auto-hyphenation. Though it's a relatively minor dislike, it's one that is continually plucked like an out-of-tune guitar string, since it happens so much.

I've looked through all the settings that I can find on my Mars, and I can't locate any setting that will disable the device's desire to chop words up in ways that make me continually look back at the last line to figure out what single or double dangling letter(s) signify.

I don't really expect that there's a way to fix it, but has anyone come up with a workaround, by any chance?

Thanks!
kytrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
raygj
Connoisseur
raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: likebook mars
check for latest WiFi updates and install.
1 open a book to read.
2 the first time you tap in centre of screen
3 on bottom right-hand side tap on 'A' .
4 on the lower right hand side of the Typesetting line tap on 3 vertical dots.
5 try adjusting the various settings.
if you change font size(number of words per line), is the hyphenation still at the end of the line or has the hyphenation moved with the word to the body of the line?
if not still at end of line and has moved with the word to the body of the line then it's the formatting that is inside the individual eBook file causing your problem..
Years ago ,I had problems with displaying some of my purchased eBook titles(similarly to you).I now always run my ebooks through the Calibre 'convert eBook' menu item.This is normally used to change the ebooks format(file type)E.G.from .pdf to .epub or from .awz3 to .epub but you can just use it to convert eBook from .awz3 to .awz3 or convert eBook from .epub to .epub .As it does the conversion it usually corrects/fixes any non-conforming formatting to the industry standard formatting .If this conversion process errors and halts conversion then I select the book in calibre and mouse right click and select edit book then I select tools/check ebook and select the autocorrect option. Try this link for more information <https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166>
If it is text formatting errors (words joined or permanently containing hyphenation regardless of their position in the line) then these errors are in the original authors text file.
I fix these by using Calibre option to convert the file to docx file.
right click on book in calibre library listing and select convert books/convert individually
top right hand corner change Output format box to DOCX
bottom right hand corner click OK
right click on book in calibre library listing and select Open containing folder
then 'right click/open with' and open the .docx file with LibreOffice Writer and use the main menu/Tools/spell check,word search & replace and the main menu/Format options to correct book.
use LibreOffice Writer main menu/File/Export As/Export as EPUB to save the corrected eBook.

Last edited by raygj; 09-19-2020 at 11:43 PM.
raygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #3
raygj
Connoisseur
raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.

i have edited above because you only have to do item 3 (if you want to change the Typesetting ) the first time in each reading book session
in the same reading session the following times (if you want to change the Typesetting ) you do item 2 the likebook will jump past item 3 and go directly to item 4

Last edited by raygj; 09-20-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:37 AM   #4
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
When I first used my Alita there were a lot of issues with words running together and trying to fix stuff like that becomes very time consuming and aggravating. raygi mentions running the file through Calibre and yes that approach worked for me. The business is just too much bother though. What I did was abandon the native Boyue reading app and try some of the free reading apps that are readily available. That meant that note taking went out of the window which seemed to me very poorly implemented anyway. It was one of the reasons I bought the device in the first place. Have a look at Librera which works well enough. Setting up dictionaries was the biggest issue for me as I wanted to read books in a foreign language. I did get there eventually but now I just use it to read thrillers in English.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
raygj
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=bazz2004;4036672]When I first used my Alita there were a lot of issues with words running together and trying to fix stuff like that becomes very time consuming and aggravating. raygi mentions running the file through Calibre and yes that approach worked for me. The business is just too much bother though. /QUOTE]
It's not a bother for me,as I store all my eBooks on my PC in the 'Calibre Library' anyway.
When I buy a new book I very quickly run it through the calibre 'convert file' and then load it into my kobo and likebook. The calibre 'convert file' process take normally .5 to 2 minutes to complete.Also it very very very never errors.
Since I normally use Calibre to transfer my eBooks to my eBook readers, it is not aggravating or time consuming for me.
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 02:47 AM   #6
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Maybe kytrid will agree or not. It beats me how some on here manage to find time to read any books. They must spend an enormous amount of time messing around with files and tweaking their devices, choosing wallpapers, selecting fonts and font sizes, screen brightness controls, selecting the best e-reader apps etc. Tech is supposed to make things easier not make us into slaves.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:10 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bigme 3/3, Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Ki/Ko 0/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Maybe kytrid will agree or not. It beats me how some on here manage to find time to read any books. They must spend an enormous amount of time messing around with files and tweaking their devices, choosing wallpapers, selecting fonts and font sizes, screen brightness controls, selecting the best e-reader apps etc. Tech is supposed to make things easier not make us into slaves.
But that's not true - it requires a one-time setting.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie

With all those devices you have listed it must take you quite a while ottischwenk. How do you decide which one to use?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bigme 3/3, Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Ki/Ko 0/8
Quote:
With all those devices you have listed it must take you quite a while ottischwenk.
Oh no - it is mostly just a copy of the configuration files.
Quote:
How do you decide which one to use?
Likebook Alita for music notes and garden computing at home.
Likebook Ares, same mission but on the go.
Boox Nova2 for notes and comments in non epub files.
Boox Poke2 to read on the go.
Boxx Poke Pro for car navigation (setup app 15 minutes).
Tolino Epos2 for reading in bed.
Tolino Shine3 as a travel reader equipped with 128 GB SD card and Wikipedia.
That was time-consuming (about an hour) - open the device, copy the SD card, close the device, free Android, install applications.
The data (approx. 80 GB) could then be copied to the device in the background
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #10
raygj
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=raygj;4036927]
Quote:
When I first used my Alita there were a lot of issues with words running together and trying to fix stuff like that becomes very time consuming and aggravating. raygi mentions running the file through Calibre and yes that approach worked for me. The business is just too much bother though. /QUOTE]
It's not a bother for me,as I store all my eBooks on my PC in the 'Calibre Library' anyway.
When I buy a new book I very quickly run it through the calibre 'convert file' and then load it into my kobo and likebook. The calibre 'convert file' process take normally .5 to 2 minutes to complete.Also it very very very never errors.
Since I normally use Calibre to transfer my eBooks to my eBook readers, it is not aggravating or time consuming for me.
Make sure that you are using the selected eBook title internal fonts that the author originally supplied with the eBook.

1 open a book to read.
2 the first time you tap in centre of screen
3 on bottom right-hand side tap on 'A' .
4 on the lower right hand side of the 'Font' line tap on 3 vertical dots.
5 tap on 'English Fonts'
6 tap on 'same as Chinese Font'
7 tap on 'Default Font'
8 tap on "use the font specified in the book'
9. exit(use back-arrow to go back to reading page)
10. exit book(close current eBook title)
11. reopen your current eBook title to read

there are three type of fonts 1. fixed width 2. semi variable width 3. variable width.

Note that some of the fonts that are not included in the individual eBook title,by the author,can cause text word splitting or joining together.I tried my downloaded 'Bookerly' font(a semi variable width font).
1A.Bookerly font(a semi variable width font)=
(" Yeah, you' re right," Nancy sighed."I tell myself the same thing,but just can' t help wishing there was something better.")
2A.the 'Default Font' set as 'Use the font specified in the book'=
(" Yeah, you're right," Nancy sighed."I tell myself the same thing,but just can't help wishing there was something better.")
3A.the 'Default Font' set as 'Use the font specified in the book' + 'English Font' set as 'same as Chinese Font'=
("Yeah, you're right," Nancy sighed."I tell myself the same thing, but just can't help wishing there was something better.")
4A. CourierStd font=
(" Yeah, you' re right," Nancy sighed."I tell myself the same thing,but just can' t help wishing there was something better.")
the www.mobileread.com/forums/ auto corrects my post by cutting out extra spaces from my post!!!!!!!
note
the item 1A. has 2 spaces between " and Yeah + 2 spaces between can' and t
the item 2A. has 1 space between " and Yeah + 1 space between can' and t
the item 3A. has 0 space between " and Yeah + 0 space between can' and t

Last edited by raygj; 09-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.