Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #46
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And I really also have no interest is copying gui elements from Calibre. I am trying to find something simpler and unique, not just duplicate what anyone else has done.
Why try to completely reinvent the wheel when it's already a "solved problem"?

Why mess with near-perfection?

The Language column is simple, understandable, human-readable, and most importantly, works the exact same way as the Spellcheck List works now. It's a straight enhancement.

Trying to overload the Words column with "lang-goop: word" makes the actual purpose of the column—displaying the word—more obtuse, and puts the lang front-and-center.

Calibre duplicated Sigil's Spellcheck Lists + added enhancements (like Multi-Language spellchecking)...

So can Sigil copy back from Calibre + make enhancements (like being able to search within a language).

Anyway, since I'm one of the more bigger users/proponents of multi-language spellchecking, I'm making myself available for a video chat if you want to discuss this stuff.

Probably easier to iron out a lot of use-cases + potential usability issues and pitfalls over video/audio.

And I'd love to help make Sigil the best it can be.

I'll send you a PM later today.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I do not consider a 2 or 4 character prefix offset from the word as "lang-goop". And how does it take any focus away from the word itself, anymore than an entire separate column would?

Nor would I be overloading the word column as language determines the meaning and use of the word.

You also did not address my comment that if a user feels that a language code is too technical, they would be unable to set or edit the lang attributes needed to properly support things. So assuming people understand that de is German, es is Spanish, and en is English is not beyond most users of Sigil.

So I'll wait to hear from other interested parties first before making any decisions.

If there really is only a small handful of users for this feature, then perhaps it would be better as a plugin (edit plugin with a gui) than part of Sigil itself.

The nice thing about this approach is it can all just go away/be hidden when only a single language is used.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #48
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do the language markup in the original manuscript, mainly that's Word.

When I am using the spell checker I want to focus on the content not on the markup. I go back to my original suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Kevin, I'd prefer to only have red squiggly's under the primary language errors, and a sortable language column in spell checker.

A spell checker bonus would be a list selector of languages found in the book (default would be 'All') so that I could focus on a particular language.

BR
And, I would like to see misspelt word highlighted in Preview as well as codeview - irrespective of multi-language considerations. I like to read the text without the distraction of typographical markup, that would be easier if the misspelling was also highlighted in Preview.

BTW Sigil's spell checker already has a unique feature that I value. Calibre checks spelling in DC elements, such as description and subjects, in the .opf file, and for some reason it also marks override_css as an error in the following:

Code:
        <style type="text/css" title="override_css">
            @page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
        </style>
Both irritate me; Sigil doesn't do either

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-13-2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ALSO highlighted
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We are only discussing the SpellcheckEditor Dialog here. Not real-time (red squiggley) syntax highlighting which you gave a preference for earlier. Preview will not be highlighting misspelled words. Preview is just that ... Preview. Spellchecking is the domain of CodeView where the editing can be done. Either that or use PageEdit for that purpose.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:35 AM   #50
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Quote:
What do people think of the following as a multi-language interface to SpellCheck?.
Not sure what you're discussing here. For my purposes (long books coming from OCR with many interspersed foreign words) this is completely useless, BC I can't manually add language tags around the words. What I'd like to have is a way to spellcheck, in the word-list, against the sum of a user-determined set of languages. I hope that makes sense, and I hope I'm not OT.

All the best
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #51
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Not sure what you're discussing here. [...] I hope that makes sense, and I hope I'm not OT.
Please read the rest of the thread. Multi-Language checking was thoroughly discussed in previous posts.

But here's another overview:

Red Squigglies in Code View

KevinH already implemented 2 dictionary support, so now instead of only handling a single language, you can specify 2:

English + Spanish

That would take care of most misspellings (red squigglies).

(Vast majority of books only have 1/2 languages, 3+ is much more rare, especially with proper lang markup [which is extremely rare already].)

Spellcheck List Enhancement

Making (Tools > Spellcheck > Spellcheck) better in order to be able to handle language.

So let's say there's:

Code:
<p lang="en">I like tacos.</p>
<p lang="es">Me gustan los tacos.</p>
If you go into the Sigil's spellcheck list currently, you'll see:

Code:
Word  | Count
______|______
tacos | 2
Even though 1 "tacos" is English, and 1 "tacos" is Spanish.

What this would do is then more accurately report words, and use the dictionaries in order to check if words are spelled correctly.

(A correct word in Spanish may be completely wrong in English.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
For my purposes (long books coming from OCR with many interspersed foreign words) this is completely useless, BC I can't manually add language tags around the words.
Do you recall Post #31 (and my Post #32)?

Getting amnesia? It was only a few weeks ago!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #52
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
We are only discussing the SpellcheckEditor Dialog here. Not real-time (red squiggley) syntax highlighting which you gave a preference for earlier. Preview will not be highlighting misspelled words. Preview is just that ... Preview. Spellchecking is the domain of CodeView where the editing can be done. Either that or use PageEdit for that purpose.
@Kevin - I'll revert to where I was on this: I'll look at the changes when they're released, if I find them useful I'll use them, if not I won't.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Here are some other questions related to spellchecking:

1. Should UserDictionaries be specific to a language or not?

If so, should the UserDictionary name then have to start with a language/region code just like hunspell dictionaries do? How else would the language of the UserDictionary be determined?

2. Should using Ignore on a word be treated universally so it is ignored in all used languages? I assume this is what users would think when hitting ignore on a word but ... wanted to check.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, I took a look at how Kovid/Calibre handles real-time red squiggleys for multiple languages and he needed to create his own SyntaxHighlighter (not use QSyntaxHighlighter), that basically constantly runs in its own thread and does the equivalent of a full QuickParser run. It the uses QTextDocument BlockUserData to store parsed state and his own User Defined QTextCharFormat property to store the locale of every character in the file (and therefore lang). These formats are used for local spell check syntax highlighting and since they are associated with each character of the file, as editing is done, the locale info follows the editing just like other character formatting like bold or italic.

Needless to say, I really do not think this way for Sigil to go at all. I would rather allow the user to specify a Primary Language Dictionary (as now) and add a Secondary Language Dictionary controllable in Preferences.

If no secondary language dictionary is set by the user, it is just like real time red sqiggley spellchecking now.

If a secondary language dictionary is set by the user, the word is checked in both to determine the state of red squiggleys now.

Using the SpellCheckEditor will always properly handle spellchecking by lang or xml:lang attribute in as many languages that are used that have associated dictionaries installed.

This way in Sigil, real-time red sqiggley spellcheck highlighting will serve a slightly different functionality (as determined by the user preferences) for up to 2 languages for use cases with no or improper use of lang or xml:lang attributes. While the full SpellCheckEditor will handle the use cases of proper use of language tags.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #55
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
1. Should UserDictionaries be specific to a language or not?
IMHO, yes.

Quote:
If so, should the UserDictionary name then have to start with a language/region code just like hunspell dictionaries do?
To simplify the conversion of Sigil Hunspell dictionaries to the .bdic format with qwebengine_convert_dict, my recommendation would be to use the same name as the dictionary and the extension .dic_delta, because qwebengine_convert_dict will merge this file into to the .bdic file, if it's present.
This also the default naming convention of the Chromium dictionary website. For example:
Code:
en_US.aff
en_US.dic
en_US.dic_delta
Quote:
2. Should using Ignore on a word be treated universally so it is ignored in all used languages?
IMHO, this should be a user setting. For example,

Code:
Add ignored words to:
�� The primary user dictionary
�� ALL user dictionaries
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Are these .dic_delta files pure text lists of words one per line like our UserDictionaries or do they have a specific format?

What if the existing UserDictionary file name does not include the language and region? For example, how would your naming convention work with the "default" user dictionary Sigil sets normally?

I guess we could assume that the default dictionary to always be the same language and locale as the Primary Dictionary setting, whatever the user sets for that.

The same question holds for all people's existing UserDictionaries. I guess we could again assume all existing UserDictionaries are in the Primary Dictionary language and region and copy and rename them in the next release to the form (replacing the en_US with whatever the primary dictionary is):

en_US_previousname.dic_delta

Then all future releases could use that approach. Or maybe better yet, we could provide an official Sigil plugin to convert all existing UserDictionaries to the new naming format?

I wonder how many users of Sigil make extensive use of its UserDictionaries feature? I do not.

If we decide to use language specific ignore lists, we can follow along in the same fashion.

All feedback welcome.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-15-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #57
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Are these .dic_delta files pure text lists of words one per line like our UserDictionaries or do they have a specific format?.
They have exactly the same format as the current user dictionaries.

Quote:
What if the existing UserDictionary file name does not include the language and region? For example, how would your naming convention work with the "default" user dictionary Sigil sets normally?
That part of the code would need to be changed so that only language-specific user dictionaries with fixed names can be created.
IMHO, this would also have the advantage that Sigil would automatically select the correct user dictionary for each language.

Quote:
I guess we could assume that the default dictionary to always be the same language and locale as the Primary Dictionary setting, whatever the user sets for that.
IMHO, that's a safe assumption.

Quote:
The same question holds for all people's existing UserDictionaries. I guess we could again assume all existing UserDictionaries are in the Primary Dictionary language and region and copy and rename them in the next release to the form (replacing the en_US with whatever the primary dictionary is):
IMHO, that's also a safe assumption.

Quote:
I wonder how many users of Sigil make extensive use of its UserDictionaries feature? I do not.
I use one user dictionary per language, but there might be Sigil users out there who're simultaneously working on multiple books and use multiple user dictionaries for a single language.

Hopefully, we'll hear from them. Otherwise they'll have to live with the fact that they can only create one user dictionary per language.

Besides, if they really need more user dictionaries, they could simply create copies of the existing dictionaries. For example, users who created three en_us user dictionaries for would need to create two copies of the en_us dictionary:

Code:
en_US1.aff
en_US1.dic
en_US1.dic_delta

en_US2.aff
en_US2.dic
en_US2.dic_delta
As for the existing user dictionaries, we could provide a simple plugin that automatically renames them, and, if necessary, creates copies of the existing Hunspell dictionaries, if there are multiple user dictionaries for a single language.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Actually, for Sigil, using multiple UserDictionaries is possible since for each word in the UserDictionary is simply added to the open Hunspell dictionary using hunspell add. These are just temporary so many lists could be added.

Unfortunately, we do the same with Ignore which should always be kept in a separate hash or set and ignored words should never be added to the dictionary itself p, even just temporarily.

I will look into changing that.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #59
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Interestingly, Ignored words in Sigil in macOS is a bit broken (although no one has ever complained). Ignored words should be associated with a single book/MainWindow. But Sigil on macOS can have multiple MainWindows open within the same instance of Sigil.

So the list of ignored words should be associated with either a MainWindow or a Book object and not the single instance of the SpellCheck object as is done currently, at least on macOS.

That will take some work to keep and pass in an ignored word hash to be used by spellchecking from the book invoking the spellcheck.

This is the second reason that ignored words should never be added to a dictionary itself even if temporarily.

More work to do here ...
Old 08-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Given the above, I think the Ignore list must be language independent. Using Ignore on a a set of characters (potential word that is not recognized by a dictionary) will ignore that same set of characters in any language for spellcheck purposes. Each book should not have to keep and pass around separate temporary ignore lists just to spell a single word in more than one language.