Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
mtck
mtck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub to Word template (Amazon print on demand)

Hi,

I’ve prepared my ePub in Sigil and readying to get it onto the Kindle store.

I also want to make it available for Print on Demand.

From what I understand, for the cover, in order to calculate the width of the spine, I need to know the number of pages. And in order to calculate the number of pages I’ll need to get the ePub into one of Amazon’s Word print on demand templates.

My question is, is there a recommended way to get the ePub into a word doc?

Any tips or pointing in the right direction much appreciated.

MTCK
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
mtck
mtck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Think I've found the answer here.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Regardless ... it's certainly not a Sigil question at all.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtck View Post
Think I've found the answer here.
It's not Sigil-centric, that's absolutely true.

You can, of course, merge all the HTML files; save the ePUB. Then unzip the resulting ePUB, grab the HTML file and simply open it in Word.

There's no need to use a KDP template, really. You can format the file any way that you prefer; templates are absolutely not required.

Hitch
Old 08-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To be even less Sigil-centric:

(I expect this thread will be moved to a more appropriate forum soon. But have your answer anyway. We're here to help.)

Use Calibre to convert your EPUB to DOCX. One click. Done. (Not the complicated method suggested in the link you quoted in the second message in this thread.)

Now you can (and should) adjust your thinking to a page-based world. You DO now have absolute control over where pages break, where lines end. Your Table of Contents and Index can now use page number references rather than hyperlinks.

And there's the practical stuff. Bleeds for the cover image. Gutters - the extra margin required on the right hand side of even-numbered pages, the left of odd-numbered ones to accommodate the binding. The whole 'look' of the book - printed books tend to make much more use of white space than is appropriate in an eBook.

Much of these issues can be bypassed by using a template. But if you prefer to keep full control and submit a final PDF version (easily exported from Word) don't panic! The process leads you through a whole system of online proofing where problems will be detected and reported for your correction.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-12-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Removed tasteless reference
Closed Thread

Tags
print on demand, word