Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #151
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I got it from GoodyStore on eBay for about $39 with shipping. Extremely lucky, but (at the time) they had two or three of them sell at about that price (this was before the Vision 4 was replaced with the Vision 5 (Libra H2O hardware clone)). GoodyStore is weird in that, whatever Tolino they get in stock, it usually sells for about $30 to $40, despite the fact that the Vision 4 HD should have sold for about $70 at the time.
Wow you got a deal! At that price, I woulda snatched one up. The only one for sale on US eBay now is $160 and ships from... Estonia, I think?

Quote:
As for comparing it to the Glowlight 3, it's more of an amber light (less orange), but very nice an even. The Shine 3 (Clara hardware clone) screen is oranger and looks a lot more like the Glowlight 3. I like both, but I like the amber of the Vision 4 more. (I'll see if I can find a camera that will actually not try to adjust out the orange or amber — it's frustrating not to be able to show it. BTW, I always read with the amber (warm) light on. I just adjusted it to the cold side of the lighting in an attempt to match the Voyage.
Mostly I just wanted to know if it had the range of the Glowlight 3. The Clara just doesn't turn orange enough, in my opinion.

Since Kobo makes both Kobos and Tolinos, I wonder why the Kobo orange light is relatively so weak?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've got a real digital camera somewhere. I'll have to dig it up and charge the battery. But even if I took pictures on my phone with more light they would have looked better than what they did.

I hardly ever don't use the Tolino 4 in non-warm mode, so I didn't realize how well it compared to the Voyage until yesterday evening. It was a comment by ZodWallop that made me look into that a little closer. Honestly I expected the Voyage to look significantly better than the Vision 4. It didn't turn out that way.
I would love to see how the original Aura H2O compares to the Voyage. I know the H2O is not 300DPI, but it is an IR touch and the screen is quite clear. I can get a photo of the H2O next to the PW3 with the same eBook and same font.

I'll have to dig out the camera (not my iPhone) for the photo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #153
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does the warm mode make the Tolino look bad? If anything it should make it look better. So a warm Tolino should look better than a Voyage if the non warm does. Or am I missing something?
No, it doesn't make it look bad, just different. Unfortunately it's hard to take a picture that properly shows the warm "mode," my cameras always want to "adjust" the light. Maybe the camera I'm charging now has a manual mode. (I think it might.) If it does than the only thing that stands in my way is ignorance of digital cameras.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #154
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wow you got a deal! At that price, I woulda snatched one up. The only one for sale on US eBay now is $160 and ships from... Estonia, I think?
I know. And I actually had the gall to make an offer that he accepted instead of paying $5 more. I can't believe I was that cheap. But, as mentioned, at the time they were coming up fairly often.

Quote:
Mostly I just wanted to know if it had the range of the Glowlight 3. The Clara just doesn't turn orange enough, in my opinion.
Then you probably wouldn't like the Vision 4. It doesn't go dark orange, it's a lighter amber color (hopefully I can an get accurate picture). It looks more like the Oasis 3. The Shine 3 (Clara clone) goes to a much darker orange, but it's screen is not as white on the cold end. I'll try to take some pictures of it as well. Personally I like the amber over the orange, but they're really two different colors. The Shine 3's screen looks quite a bit like the Glowlight 3.

Quote:
Since Kobo makes both Kobos and Tolinos, I wonder why the Kobo orange light is relatively so weak?
The Vision 4 HD was pre-Kobo. The Epos came out shortly after Kobo bought – or merged or joined or whatever it is they did – with Tolino. I'm pretty sure the Epos was probably already developed pre-Kobo. The Shine 3 (Clara hardware clone) was – I'm guessing – the first Tolino device Kobo designed. If you like the darker orange, I think you would like this one. Much darker than the Vision 4.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #155
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Vision 4 HD was pre-Kobo... The Shine 3 (Clara hardware clone)... I think you would like this one. Much darker than the Vision 4.
Right. I was just saying that if the same hardware could adjust to darker orange, it would be nic if Kobo updated the Clara. The Clara (at least mine) doesn't go orange or amber. To me it is peach.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #156
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Right. I was just saying that if the same hardware could adjust to darker orange, it would be nic if Kobo updated the Clara. The Clara (at least mine) doesn't go orange or amber. To me it is peach.
Mine looks peach also, but only if I'm at about half way between cold and warm.

Here's a slightly better picture comparing the Tolino and Voyage at the light daylight levels I normally use for each. The amber screen is actually a little darker than what is shown. If you look at the very top (where the case shadows the sunlight) that's closer to actual darkness of the Tolino. The Voyage is slightly more "washed out" in the picture than it actually is. I've got a few other pictures, but I'm not too happy with their quality. I used a different phone for the pictures as I'm still having trouble understanding the SLR digital camera. (And to think, when I was kid, I used to develop my own 35 mm pictures... long time ago now.)

Looking at these two screens, I'm beginning to understand what JSWolf is talking about when he mentions the superiority of ePub typography over AZW3.

(I couldn't get the picture to attach here (too big?) so I uploaded it to Google and have provided the link. I tried to attach the file four times. No luck.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13y3...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Mine looks peach also, but only if I'm at about half way between cold and warm.

Here's a slightly better picture comparing the Tolino and Voyage at the light daylight levels I normally use for each. The amber screen is actually a little darker than what is shown. If you look at the very top (where the case shadows the sunlight) that's closer to actual darkness of the Tolino. The Voyage is slightly more "washed out" in the picture than it actually is. I've got a few other pictures, but I'm not too happy with their quality. I used a different phone for the pictures as I'm still having trouble understanding the SLR digital camera. (And to think, when I was kid, I used to develop my own 35 mm pictures... long time ago now.)

Looking at these two screens, I'm beginning to understand what JSWolf is talking about when he mentions the superiority of ePub typography over AZW3.

(I couldn't get the picture to attach here (too big?) so I uploaded it to Google and have provided the link. I tried to attach the file four times. No luck.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13y3...ew?usp=sharing
Excellent photo. The Tolino does look comparable to the Voyage and the orange light is rather nice. It's not too orange.

When you look at the second paragraph, you'll notice that synchronized text changes because the Tolino is able to reduce the size of the spaces as needed and that allows another word to fit on the line. The gaps are wider on the Voyage. However, there is a way to fix some of the problem on Kindles. Use the Hyphenate This! plugin or from Polish, use the Hyphenate option. That will add soft hyphens to the KF8 eBook and at least allow Kindles to hyphenate with KF8. You still won't get ligatures, kerning, or variable space, but it's still better then without hyphens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #158
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
I think the Vision 4 was not yet made by Kobo. It was released in 2016, Kobo took over tolino’s technology division in 2017.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:48 PM   #159
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I think the Vision 4 was not yet made by Kobo. It was released in 2016, Kobo took over tolino’s technology division in 2017.
I am talking about current devices made with the same hardware but different software. Not their older devices.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:01 AM   #160
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
I am talking about current devices made with the same hardware but different software. Not their older devices.
Oh ok, true the Vision 4 didn't have that all orange light.

I remember though that Aura One had heavy orange light at its maximum setting. Maybe they toned it down for their market after receiving negative feedback, while in the Tolino market, orange light is something that more customers actually want. Tolino also offers a very convenient cloud feature which Kobo is still lacking.

The differences may be due to the fact that Kobo has not taken over tolino entirely but only the subsidiary responsible for the technological. Final decisions for Kobo devices are made by Kobo, but I would thinkt that final decisions for Tolino are still made by the entire organisation, including not only Kobo but a large group of book vendors across the entire Tolino region.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:14 AM   #161
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I started my ereader journey on the Kindle years ago. I thought about replacing my PW with a Voyage back when it first came out, but decided against it. I absolutely love the page turn buttons on the device, but prefer not to deal with Amazon again. Still, if the Voyage was re-released (product page lists it as currently unavailable for me) I'd be very tempted.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #162
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heim View Post
...if the Voyage was re-released (product page lists it as currently unavailable for me) I'd be very tempted.
Watch this thread. They pop up on Amazon's Woot! site from time-to-time, sometimes for very cheap.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #163
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heim View Post
Still, if the Voyage was re-released (product page lists it as currently unavailable for me) I'd be very tempted.
Amazon won't re-release it. Any found for sale will be old original stock, or refurbished, or second-hand.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote