Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #406
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
AFAIK columns built from other columns using a template have never appeared as Fields in the Import List plugin. It wouldn't make sense if they did.

@ChrisMillward: when posting an issue about a particular plugin please post it in the relevant plugin thread. There's an sticky index with links at the top of plugins sub-forum.

BR
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Makes total sense. You need to be a regular field (type) to be abme to place data. From other columns COMPUTES data
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #407
ChrisMillward
Enthusiast
ChrisMillward began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Import list: Title commas treated as delimiters

The contents of a book title, (or any other string), enclosed within quote text qualifiers are being scanned for delimiters.
For example, when the delimiter is a comma, commas within the book title are being treated as delimiters.
The same is true for a space delimiter etc.
Everything inside the string of text should be treated as part of a string.
ChrisMillward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #408
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMillward View Post
The contents of a book title, (or any other string), enclosed within quote text qualifiers are being scanned for delimiters.
For example, when the delimiter is a comma, commas within the book title are being treated as delimiters.
The same is true for a space delimiter etc.
Everything inside the string of text should be treated as part of a string.

You apparently are having major problems with the generic Import List that is no longer supported by its original developer. See the attached for an alternative that has a single purpose: import CSV files. If you have a problem with it, the developer will often fix it within hours (assuming you also attach a sample CSV file that is exhibiting your issues with it).

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_import_csv_to_update_metadata_20191023.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	176593  

Last edited by DaltonST; 01-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #409
ChrisMillward
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information I have loaded the plugin.
However what I want to do is create empty books from the CSV file not update certain columns
Old 01-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #410
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC you must use straight quotes when enclosing text containing spaces or other delimiters.

BR

Moderator Notice
another reminder - please post queries about a particular plugin in the relevant plugin thread - next time I might move the post out of sight.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #411
ChrisMillward
Enthusiast

I would love to post into the relevant plugin thread but (I know I am getting old) I cannot find a 'post' option ( other than new reply) at that level. At the plugin level there is 'Forum Tools' which gives 'Post a Thread', nothing so obvious anywhere else. The posting guide explains what should be done and what shouldn't be done but doesn't actually tell you how to post. If any further posts will be moved out of sight perhaps it would be better if I didn't try anymore.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #412
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would love to post into the relevant plugin thread but (I know I am getting old) I cannot find a 'post' option ( other than new reply) at that level. At the plugin level there is 'Forum Tools' which gives 'Post a Thread', nothing so obvious anywhere else. The posting guide explains what should be done and what shouldn't be done but doesn't actually tell you how to post. If any further posts will be moved out of sight perhaps it would be better if I didn't try anymore.
Top Left in any forum Section TOPIC LIST is how you create A NEW POST..

but THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO for an existing Plugin (those have dedicated threads) In those, go to the top or bottom of the messages, there will be a button New Reply (also on the Left)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #413
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All posts after the first post in a thread are replies to the first post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-23 103629.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	176596

BTW I'm already old :lol:

BR
Old 01-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #414
ChrisMillward
Enthusiast

Single quotes or double quotes the effect is the same for Import List. Obviously I can get round that by editing out a couple of hundred commas from my titles, one at a time as there is no facility for bulk editing available in my book collector library. Sadly its not the only editing needed.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #415
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Are your double quotes straight or curly/smart quotes- i.e "blah, blah, blah" or “blah, blah, blah” - see Quotation mark - Wikipedia.

Pretty sure they have to be straight, maybe the CSV create tool in CLZ is too clever by half

BR
Old 01-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #416
ChrisMillward
Enthusiast

BASIC uses double quotes, PASCAL single, COBOL double etc. CLZ offers both but actually gets the single quote export CSV wrong - the text is between single quotes but the null fields are two double quotes.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #417
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BASIC uses double quotes, PASCAL single, COBOL double etc.
Irrelevant

Quote:
CLZ offers both but actually gets the single quote export CSV wrong - the text is between single quotes but the null fields are two double quotes.
Please copy and paste a few lines from your CSV into a post, then we can see what you actually have, rather than conjecturing what you might have

This shouldn't be this hard.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #418
Wharton
Wharton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am a new Calibre user and installed the Import File Plugin. I have looked all over but cannot locate where it is on the Calibre tool bar. Help!!
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #419
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
I am a new Calibre user and installed the Import File Plugin. I have looked all over but cannot locate where it is on the Calibre tool bar. Help!!
Remember the menus change when a device is connected. Disconnect.
when you (first) installed, you were given the choices where to place.
In any case: Preferences: Tools & Menus: <select which toolbar>
: <choose icon (PI) from Left> click arrow pointing right
Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #420
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

You must have clicked Cancel when it offered to put the icon on the toolbar.

No matter, go to Preferences_Toolbars & menus, select The main toolbar, and select Import List from the left list and add it to the right list with the blue right arrow.

BR

Tags
column types