Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
alex3137
alex3137 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Advice for a reader with warm frontlight

Hello

I plan to buy a reader. My wife owns a Kobo Aura (1st edition) which is nice except:

1) the frontlight, even set at the minimum, is too bright when reading in complete dark
2) I would prefer a warmer color than the blue frontlight of her Aura

Do you have a model to recommend with a better frontlight (less bright and warmer compared to the Aura 1st gen) ? I know there is the Aura One but I think it is too large and expensive.

Thank you very much
alex3137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo Aura H2O has a very nice front light. It can be set too low to read by and much too bright to read by. 15% (IMHO) is the brightest I would go. I usually read at 4 or 5%.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
alex3137

Thanks JSWolf

Do you know how the frontlight compares to the Kobo Glo HD ?

I don't really care about the waterproof / dustproof aspect of H2O.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3137 View Post
Thanks JSWolf

I don't really care about the waterproof / dustproof aspect of H2O.
I've not see the light on the Glo HD. But I do think the H2O's light is better than the PW3. I don't find the light of the H2O to be harsh. It's not warm like a 2700k light bulb, but it's not harsh or too blue.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
alex3137

Reading here and there, I think indeed the H2O is what I am looking after.

Thank you so much !
Advert
Old 10-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Reading here and there, I think indeed the H2O is what I am looking after.

Thank you so much !
You are very welcome. I think you will really like the H2O.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have both the Glo HD and the Aura H2O and I think the light on them are about the same. I also have a Glo. When I was using it, I used the minimum light level in a dark room. This was OK for me, but, as it didn't go lower, I had no choice. For both the Glo HD and the Aura H2O, it is between 5% 10% in the dark.

They are both very even. Colour is about the same, but it isn't something I've thought about.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
alex3137

By any chance do you know if the Kobo Aura 2nd edition has the same frontlight than the H2O ?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I don't really know. I've only seen the Aura Edition 2 in a shop in conditions not great for testing the light. About the only thing I can say is that it worked. The main impression I had for the device is that if felt to really good to hold and that it was a shame it didn't have the higher resolution screen. And a little bit glad that it didn't as I wasn't tempted by it when compared to my Aura H2O or Glo HD.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
teotjunk
Connoisseur
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
I have the same question for the 10 inch ebook readers like Hanvon and Onyx. Wonder which one has the warmer front light?
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
alex3137

So I tried the Aura H2O and the Aura Edition 2:

- the screen of the Aura H2O is really great
- both have similar frontlights and warmer than the Aura Edition 1

But I found the Aura H2O too big and switched back to the Aura. The screen definition is not as good but that's not a big deal. Really happy with it !