Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
New Oasis - still not even light?

Sigh. My "waterproof" Kobo Aura One took a dunk in the bath just past it's one year birthday and the perfectly uniform light was no more. Now I have dark spots all over the screen.

So I saw reviews of the new Oasis boasting even light and thought I would try a Kindle again. This is what I have. Is this even light and I'm beyond picky, or do people have more even lighting than this? I like the Oasis just fine otherwise, so just curious. And no, I never have been able to adjust to uneven light like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapturFiles_39.png
Views:	1058
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	160165  
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, of course it's not even. There are different degrees of gradient on different devices. Some are more even, some less. Going by your photo I'd say mine is a bit more even, but far from uniform; of course it's all very subjective and things don't look exactly the same way in real life as they do on photos. If even the slightest gradient bothers you, then the Oasis 2 is probably not for you.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Mine doesn't look like that at all. Even the "color" overall is not anything what mine looks like. I don't have a brown/yellow screen.
I guess its hard to take pics of the screens.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Mine doesn't look like that at all. Even the "color" overall is not anything what mine looks like. I don't have a brown/yellow screen.
Yes, it is.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Well, that color is almost certainly not life-like. But clearly the OP has a rather strong gradient.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, that color is almost certainly not life-like. But clearly the OP has a rather strong gradient.
Yeah, no kidding. If mine had looked like that, it would have gone back. Heck, my first unit which did have some gradient didn't even look close to being that bad. My replacement has no noticeable gradient. So very slight that I don't see it in my normal light conditions.

That picture is glaring. For how the "color looks and how different the left from the right looks. Was that photo manipulated or is that how it actually looks in real life. I am not talking about the flipped part, I can see that of course.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #7
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding. If mine had looked like that, it would have gone back. Heck, my first unit which did have some gradient didn't even look close to being that bad. My replacement has no noticeable gradient. So very slight that I don't see it in my normal light conditions.

That picture is glaring. For how the "color looks and how different the left from the right looks. Was that photo manipulated or is that how it actually looks in real life. I am not talking about the flipped part, I can see that of course.
So, this is the age old question on these boards about color reproduction on photos. I can't know what it looks like on your screen. The screen is very very brown. I thought that was intentional and supposedly the "warm" light Amazon was going for. But thank you for the feedback - I'll be taking it back and might play the roulette game and try one more time.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampmiller View Post
Sigh. My "waterproof" Kobo Aura One took a dunk in the bath just past it's one year birthday and the perfectly uniform light was no more. Now I have dark spots all over the screen.

So I saw reviews of the new Oasis boasting even light and thought I would try a Kindle again. This is what I have. Is this even light and I'm beyond picky, or do people have more even lighting than this? I like the Oasis just fine otherwise, so just curious. And no, I never have been able to adjust to uneven light like this.
That looks terrible. Definitely NOT what an Oasis at Best Buy looked like. I would return that Oasis for an exchange in about half a nano-second.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If it was me, I'd call Kobo and see what they are prepared to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
That's not just a shadow blocking ambient light? Or a reflection off the glass?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
vampmiller
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
That's not just a shadow blocking ambient light? Or a reflection off the glass?
Nope. Pic taken in a dark room.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Oh God. The same discussion with every new Kindle.

I am glad I don't enable the front light.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

That is by far the worst gradient I have ever seen.

Would you please also attach the same image showing the full screen and no flipping?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
vampmiller
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is by far the worst gradient I have ever seen.

Would you please also attach the same image showing the full screen and no flipping?
Here you go. Thanks for validating I'm not insane. Photo taken with an iPhone X and on my screen it's a perfect representation of what the Kindle screen looks like. I'm almost tempted to try and get it replaced based on your feedback and hope the next one is okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapturFiles_43.png
Views:	828
Size:	907.0 KB
ID:	160170  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:

I know pics don't look the same as real life, but that's a bad screen. I could see the dark gradient all over the screen even before I enlarged it. I'd return it for another one.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote