Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Another stupid computer question

I'm finally fed up with Windows Media Player 11. It's no longer fetching metadata on CD's that I'm trying to rip. I don't know if it has anything to do with my disabling "autoplay" (so the d*mn Sony Library wouldn't open whenever I plugged it in) or not. It won't do it manually, either. I click on "update album info" and it does zilch.

Can anybody suggest a program a la calibre for music? I'm sure there are scads out there. Free would be nice. I really am not looking for much, actually calibre for music would probably be overkill. I just want to be able to rip my CD's onto a hard drive and have them sorted by album and artist, and to be able to transfer them to a Sansa mp3 player. I don't need to be able to manipulate anything other than maybe file size so I can get lots of tunes on my player (I'm keeping the CD's as their own backups), I don't need to be able to make playlists, or give star ratings, or any of that stuff.

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Winamp? http://www.winamp.com/

Amarok? http://amarok.kde.org/

I use the paid version (not expensive, I donated more to Calibre) of Winamp so I can rip to flac. I use Amarok on Ubuntu and haven't actually tried it on Windows.

I'm sure you can Google lots more ripping tools.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My favourite is iTunes. A great free program even if you don't have an iPod. You'd have to copy the files to your player manually, but that's no big deal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'd recommend MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/). Great all-around music management program that works well with my Sony player (an NWZ-A818) and should work just as well with your Sansa player.

There's both a free version and a paid version of the program (the paid version has features not available with the free version). Based on your post, one feature of the paid version that you might be interested in is auto conversion. You can set MediaMonkey to automatically convert some or all files as they are loaded on your player (it doesn't affect the files on your hard drive).

As an example, my player doesn't support MP3s with a bitrate lower than 32kbps. Since some files, such as podcasts, have a low bitrate, I have it autoconvert any MP3 with a bitrate lower than 64kbps to 64kbps (I prefer that as a minimum bitrate for audio regardless of the type of program).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote