Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 10:59 PM   #1
davegetz
davegetz began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
hello?????

I hope this is the right place to talk. I have questions about epub to kindle conversions. I am an old luddite with a capitol L and I won't see 80 again. My theory is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there a dummies guide to forums? I have no idea what I am doing right or wrong or how to receive any ideas that you guys can give me.

What I have is a desktop, a laptop and an old very slow Fire tablet. I live in rural Oregon and my internet and cloud stability is questionable even with a 2 gig modem. Constantly buffering. I am looking for information on how to convert the epub books from bookfunnel to Kindle. I downloaded Calibre yesterday and then deleated it when I found it won't work when there is more than one reader trying to connect as when my desktop is on and I want to read on the laptop. I don't want to say who my provider is but I am Astounded If the day goes by with out buffering issues. The whole system was out for 30 some hours the first of the year.
davegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:22 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

Calibre works just fine with several different readers, you just don't connect them simultaneously.

If you want to convert the books on your desktop and read them on your laptop, and your internet connection is not stellar, the simplest way is to use a USB stick. Convert the books, copy the files to the USB stick (using the Save to Disk feature in Calibre), then plug the stick in your laptop and copy the files there.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 10:25 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could use the calibre server to read books on your laptop using a web browser to connect to calibre on your desktop.

However, since you mentioned not being able to use calibre on your desktop and your laptop simultaneously, one caution is that using a networked copy of your calibre library is not a good idea. It's not a question of if your library will get corrupted, it's when it will get corrupted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote