Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura H20,Kindle PW1
Calibre Syncing Same Library DB on two different computers

Just curious if there is something in calibre or a plugin that will syncing the same library database on two different computers.

I am constantly adding cleaning maintaining my library on my laptop and I was wondering if there is a possibility that any of my changes can be reflected via a sync on my husband computer so that he can browse and add books to his reader from his computer using my library without having to go to my laptop to do this.

crissman
crissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Stick the library in Dropbox, but make sure Dropbox is not running while calibre is. Also, changes must propagate through Dropbox before and after using calibre, or you will get edit clashes.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-06-2015 at 05:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alternatively use something like BitTorrent Sync to share a folder read-only with another computer. Benefits include no size caps, and keeping a master copy (husband can change things but they will be overwritten from your copy on next sync)... but both computers must be connected at the same time to do the sync.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
crissman
Connoisseur
crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.crissman could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I was currently playing around with Google drive with it but already noticed some issues when adding the library for example, missing books, missing book formats etc. even after running library maintenance I am assuming that it would be the same with dropbox?

BitTorrent Sync might be a better option, I will look into that because my husband would only be browsing and sending to device.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Sticky: WARNING - Google Drive Incompatible with Calibre!

tl;dr
Google Drive is a special snowflake.
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
crissman
Connoisseur

Ahh that explains alot.. glad I keep several backups
Old 01-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Personally I fancy BitTorrent Sync just because it is the cool and elegant way to do it.

Dropbox works fine, but sharing read-only is an awesome feature.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
crissman
Connoisseur

I am copying my library from the google drive folder, then will try out the Bittorrent Sync with the two computers.. I am thinking for me this is going to be the best option since I am using crashplan and manual backups to an external drive already, no need for it to be on google drive as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You're welcome.