Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Audio books - info?

I couldn't figure out where to put these questions, so Mods please move it if necessary. Can someone explain audiobooks basics to me? My library has MP3 audiobooks, I know these can be downloaded on the Kindle. But I have an iPhone that I want to use for audiobooks. What are WMA audiobooks? They can't be played on the iPhone? What device do you have to have to download WMA audiobooks? I belong to 2 libraries and most of their audiobooks are WMA and they have not so many choices in MP3.

Thanks so much!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I don't know if I can help or not. Your library may be different. I check out eAudio from my public library to my iPod. When it first got eAudio, my library only had eAudio in WMA and it couldn't be played on an iPod. Then, they had MP3 as well as WMA and the MP3 could be played on the iPod but not the WMA. Now that they have gone over to the Overdrive system instead of Netlibrary, both the MP3 and the vast majority of the WMA eAudio can be played on an iPod. The WMA takes longer to transfer to the iPod than the MP3 because it converts (I don't convert it, you understand, I believe Overdrive does it automatically, except for the eAudios that don't allow it).
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iTunes can convert DRM-free WMA files to MP3 format, but I would guess that library WMA files would have DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
iTunes can convert DRM-free WMA files to MP3 format, but I would guess that library WMA files would have DRM.
Right. Most of the WMA at my library appear to be DRM free but, like I said, there are a few with DRM. I've only come across 1 eAudio I was interested in that they had that had that issue.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I couldn't figure out where to put these questions, so Mods please move it if necessary. Can someone explain audiobooks basics to me? My library has MP3 audiobooks, I know these can be downloaded on the Kindle. But I have an iPhone that I want to use for audiobooks. What are WMA audiobooks? They can't be played on the iPhone? What device do you have to have to download WMA audiobooks? I belong to 2 libraries and most of their audiobooks are WMA and they have not so many choices in MP3.

Thanks so much!
Unfortunately, most library audiobooks are WMA and that definitely restricts your options. None of the eInk devices support WMA. Quite a few MP3 players natively support WMA. Apple devices will support WMA (where permitted by publisher) after a conversion through OverDrive Media Console.

Here's a link from OverDrive listing which devices support which formats. You pick and choose. It's very handy.Next are a couple of links from one of my libraries with detailed info on how to download various formats. All libraries that lend ebooks have such help sections.Can I transfer OverDrive WMA Audiobook titles to Apple® devices?

Most OverDrive WMA Audiobooks can be transferred to Apple devices (where permitted by the publisher) using OverDrive Media Console v3.2.0.5 (or newer). During the process of transferring OverDrive WMA Audiobooks to Apple devices, OverDrive Media Console converts the OverDrive WMA Audiobook files to DRM-protected AAC files.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
The WMA takes longer to transfer to the iPod than the MP3 because it converts (I don't convert it, you understand, I believe Overdrive does it automatically, except for the eAudios that don't allow it).
Yes, OverDrive is the one converting it and only if permitted by the publisher.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also to address one other part of your post, Patricia,

Your Kindle can, as you know, play mp3 audio, and so can your iPhone.
Kindle can play protected audio books in a special format from Audible.com, and the iPhone can play protected audio books in an another format as mentioned above, which Overdrive will convert to when permitted.

Neither device can directly handle protected WMA files in any official way.
Those WMA audio books can be played directly on a computer, or on any of a number or portable devices, like, for example, the Microsoft Zune.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, the keywords here seem to be "if permitted by the publisher." Does that mean only if they are DRM free? How do you know if it's permitted by the publisher. I was browsing on my iPhone through the Free Library of Philadelphia because I have a non-resident membership there, and when I tried to choose a WMA Overdrive audiobook it told me that format is not supported by my device.

So somebody has to be checking out all of these WMA Overdrive audiobooks because they all have a wait list. What are they using to listen to them???
Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Also to address one other part of your post, Patricia,

Your Kindle can, as you know, play mp3 audio, and so can your iPhone.
Kindle can play protected audio books in a special format from Audible.com, and the iPhone can play protected audio books in an another format as mentioned above, which Overdrive will convert to when permitted.

Neither device can directly handle protected WMA files in any official way.
Those WMA audio books can be played directly on a computer, or on any of a number or portable devices, like, for example, the Microsoft Zune.
Who would want to sit in front of their computer or laptop and listen to a book? The main reason I want to even listen to a book as opposed to reading it on my Kindle, is so that I can do other things while I'm listening.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, the keywords here seem to be "if permitted by the publisher." Does that mean only if they are DRM free? How do you know if it's permitted by the publisher. I was browsing on my iPhone through the Free Library of Philadelphia because I have a non-resident membership there, and when I tried to choose a WMA Overdrive audiobook it told me that format is not supported by my device.

So somebody has to be checking out all of these WMA Overdrive audiobooks because they all have a wait list. What are they using to listen to them???
The FLP not only has an "iPod compatible audio book" section, but every Overdrive book they list has a "Plays on" graphic near the bottom of the book page that shows if works with an iPod or not.

I don't know if this is technically directly related to DRM presence or not, but suffice to say, it's theoretically possible for them to allow it either way. If there is no DRM, there is no technological measure stopping iTunes from converting it for your iPod whether the library says it's allowed or not.

There are lots of devices capable of playing protected WMA directly. If you're interested in Yet Another Device, I could probably find a list for you.

There are also unofficial, legally ambiguous ways of playing those audiobooks on any device you want.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
PG4003
Addict

ApK, thank you for your help, and please excuse my ignorance, but I have an iPhone 3, my son got a new iPhone 4 and I'm using his iPhone 3 that can't make phone calls but does everything else, so isn't it pretty much an iPod??? The WMA Overdrive books at FLP say they are compatible with an iPod, so shouldn't I be able to download them on it?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
ApK

Yes, as I understand it, all iPhones should work with books that say they are iPod compatible.
Compatible devices:
http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...ledevices.aspx

Presumably, all of them that show WMA audio book support OTHER THAN APPLE DEVICES will work with ALL Overdrive WMA audiobooks. Apple devices work only if specifically allowed by the publisher.

Last edited by ApK; 05-04-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The main reason I want to even listen to a book as opposed to reading it on my Kindle, is so that I can do other things while I'm listening.
By far, my favorite device for listening to audiobooks is my Sansa Clip+. It's one of the best MP3 players on the market and also very inexpensive. It'll play audiobooks in MP3, WMA, and Audible formats without having to convert them. The player is very small and has a built-in clip to attach to clothing and straps. It also has a microSD card slot for more storage and a built-in FM radio. Very versatile indeed. I always carry my Clip+ with me.

I also listen to audiobooks on my iPod touch, but only do so at home. I rarely carry this device because it's too big. I have speaker docks scattered about the house and all I have to do is move the touch to the next room and dock it when I'm doing chores and such.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

Each audiobook on your library's website tells you which devices you can play it on. For example, WMA audiobooks for the Millennium Series by Larsson can be played on PC's, WMA supported MP3 players, and iPods.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
By far, my favorite device for listening to audiobooks is my Sansa Clip+. It's one of the best MP3 players on the market and also very inexpensive.
I like Sansa players. My family has several Sansa E200 series players...very nice.

But in our case, I run Rockbox open firmware on them.