Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2024, 02:16 PM   #1
reo
reo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sending to Kindle without non-English symbol conversion

Hello!

Is it possible to send books from Calibre to Kindle without converting non-English characters to English equivalents?
I have some books in Ukrainian, Russian, French, German. So I want Kindle to store it with original names etc.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Hello!

Is it possible to send books from Calibre to Kindle without converting non-English characters to English equivalents?
I have some books in Ukrainian, Russian, French, German. So I want Kindle to store it with original names etc.
Yes, Kindle supports Cyrillic. I'm using original UA books in MOBI (and converted by Calibre from ePub) with no issues. I guess the same is applicable for FR and DE.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:32 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No its not possible. The kindle will anyway use the proper non english title fro the file metadata, so filenames are not important.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 PM   #4
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
I guess I didn't get @reo in a right way ?
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:13 AM   #5
reo
reo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No its not possible. The kindle will anyway use the proper non english title fro the file metadata, so filenames are not important.
@kovidgoyal and what about PDF?
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:34 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
@kovidgoyal and what about PDF?
What about it? PDFs have internal metadata too that the Kindle is free to use.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote