Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 07:11 AM   #1
Boilerplate4U
Enthusiast
Boilerplate4U began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question 7.xx on macOS Big Sur?

Is there any specific reason why support for macOS "Big Sur" has been skipped and is it possible to compile v7.x oneself on Big Sur?
Boilerplate4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Big Sur isnt supported anymore even by Apple. I lack the resources to test qt on macos releases it doesnt officially support. As for building calibre yourself, feel free if you have the know how, calibre has approximately 100 dependencies you will need to build as well. Instructions for building calibre and all its dependencies in VMs are in the bypy folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
svintuss
svintuss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Big Sur isnt supported anymore even by Apple. I lack the resources to test qt on macos releases it doesnt officially support. As for building calibre yourself, feel free if you have the know how, calibre has approximately 100 dependencies you will need to build as well. Instructions for building calibre and all its dependencies in VMs are in the bypy folder.
Hi!
May I join this plea and kindly ask to bring back support for macOS 11 and 12 in Calibre 7?

I'm able to run Calibre 7 on MacOS 12.7.3 Monterey by running calibre from terminal. I don't experience any issues at all.
Code:
calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre
However changing 'LSMinimumSystemVersion' in app's 'Info.plist' won't allow to run calibre from Finder. Looks like it needs to be recompiled with XCode with a different tag ('-mmacosx-version-min=11.0.0' I presume).

App contents show that calibre 7 uses Qt 6.5. Qt's manual says that version 6.5 LTS supports macOS 11 and newer (https://doc.qt.io/qt-6.5/macos.html).
There should be no issues with drawing the line from macOS 11 and up instead of 13. Maybe you could build a beta for us to test?
svintuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:10 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
He can't test it because Apple doesn't support it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:31 AM   #5
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
An alternative is to update your Mac to a newer version OS. There are loads of videos on YouTube showing how to do this. I am happily running Sonoma on officially unsupported iMac and Calibre still works fine on my machine.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:59 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by svintuss View Post
Maybe you could build a beta for us to test?
Or maybe you could? This was asked and answered.

You could also ask for information on how to get your machine running as up to date an OS as possible.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:10 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
An alternative is to update your Mac to a newer version OS. There are loads of videos on YouTube showing how to do this. I am happily running Sonoma on officially unsupported iMac and Calibre still works fine on my machine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-23-2024 at 06:20 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:31 PM   #8
svintuss
svintuss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth
He can't test it because Apple doesn't support it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Or maybe you could? This was asked and answered.

You could also ask for information on how to get your machine running as up to date an OS as possible.
I didn't mean to offend. All I meant was macOS 12 is still supported by Apple and macOS ver. 11, 12 and 13 are officially supported by Qt 6.5 LTS. Calibre should work fine on these systems with just one change in compile argument.
svintuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 7, macos big sur