Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-27-2021, 03:12 AM   #1
aschiller
aschiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ebook-convert with recipe not respecting chapter-mark option

Hi everybody,

First of all, I want to thank all developers of calibre and the whole community for maintaining this forum. Thank you!

I noticed that when I use ebook-convert together with the recipe the various articles are always separated by pagebreaks from each other. The "--chapter-mark none" option does not have any effect on the conversion. Is that correct?

Would it be possible if you could give me a hint, where precisely in the code the pagebreaks are added.

Best regards
Andy
aschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are not page breaks. They appear because every article is in its own htm file internally.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #3
aschiller

Thank you very much for your reply. But I inspected the resulting mobi file and discovered that before and after each article mbp_pagebreak elements are inserted.

If not via the recipe, how is the insertion of these mbp_pagebreak triggered. There are no corresponding elements in the original html file.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The MOBI format does not support multiple individual files. Therefore when converting to mobi files are merged and separated by page breaks. This behavior cannot be controlled by anything.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #5
aschiller

Thank you for your reply. Is there really no way to prevent those mbp_pagebreak in the resulting document?

I have already tried to use regex patterns via search&replace, but it seems that the scope of search&replace does not cover the mbp_pagebreaks. Is there maybe a way via custom css?

The last way I can think of is removing the last page of the resulting mobi. Is this possible via calire? I know that this would only remove the very last mbp_pagebreak but this is the most position I care about.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, there isn't. You cant edit mobi files.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Start with an epub version; open it in the editor.

Select all the text files in the file browser, right-click on the selection, and merge all the files together.

In the code view pane, you can search and replace all the pagebreak codes, and/or you can edit them in the css file to get rid of any pagebreak commands.

Save that, and then convert to mobi (if you really must use mobi).

Now it should all run together as you want it to.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code hints, ebook-convert, pagebreak, recipe