Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #76
icemudder
icemudder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Question how long does Restore Process take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireland View Post
Ross,

I had the same problem, until I figured out that "force quit" means turn off the device. When I did that and restarted, all was fine.

Yet another senior moment.
Hoping someone can tell me how long the transfer from old to new Marvin app takes. I have followed the instructions given...forced the restart...and ....I wait. New universal app would open prior to the backup process started. Since I have started the restore backup process, I can't get the universal one to open...I try to open..it flips up for a second with the a message that says 'restore in process. Please wait' (I think it says this) and then closes immediately...
I have a fairly large, extensive library...anybody have a time frame or how do I check to see if anything happening?

Thanks in advance
PS: I have been 'waiting' for a day now

Last edited by icemudder; 11-23-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: additional info
icemudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #77
Lancer_325
Lancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blueLancer_325 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPhone
How long did the backup of your prior Marvin version take? If it was large file (it would have told you how many MB's it was going to be) that should give you some estimation of how long restoring to the new Marvin version ought to take. Waiting a day most probably means there is something wrong. To make sure you have the correct Marvin version have a look at Philanthrops post at # 36 as it helped me find the correct version I should have had. Hope that helps.
Lancer_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #78
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemudder View Post
Hoping someone can tell me how long the transfer from old to new Marvin app takes. I have followed the instructions given...forced the restart...and ....I wait. New universal app would open prior to the backup process started. Since I have started the restore backup process, I can't get the universal one to open...I try to open..it flips up for a second with the a message that says 'restore in process. Please wait' (I think it says this) and then closes immediately...
I have a fairly large, extensive library...anybody have a time frame or how do I check to see if anything happening?

Thanks in advance
PS: I have been 'waiting' for a day now
Please go through the steps you've taken one by one. Then I think someone can help you with the step you seem to be stuck on. It should definitely not be taking a whole day to backup and restore.

To start, when you first backup your old Marvin, what size does it say the backup will be?
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #79
icemudder

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Please go through the steps you've taken one by one. Then I think someone can help you with the step you seem to be stuck on. It should definitely not be taking a whole day to backup and restore.

To start, when you first backup your old Marvin, what size does it say the backup will be?
I am using an Apple mini Ipad...32 Gb Wireless with 18 Gb available. Using iOS 6.1.3 version
1. downloaded universal version.(2.4)..which opened just fine
2. proceeded to ipad version of Marvin...settings...services...backup.
3. started backup...takes approx 45 minutes...
4. finishes backup...send to Marvin...Will take 3Gbs of space...proceed
5. 'Sending' message
6. Please force restart message
7. Force restart
8. try to open universal Marvin...opens for a second with a flash of 'Restoring...please wait until finished" I think it closes so fast that I have trouble reading it all.
9. still waiting 2 days

I have repeated this several times. Decided I would wait for awhile because it is a large library..I don't know if anything is happening.
Should I start again...? keeping waiting.??? Or should I just do it the old fashioned way?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #80
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I have repeated this several times. Decided I would wait for awhile because it is a large library..I don't know if anything is happening.
Should I start again...? keeping waiting.??? Or should I just do it the old fashioned way?
Certainly your marvin crashed (you may find a crash report under diagnostic settings), so its no use waiting any longer.
The same thing happened to me; it could be a matter of size. My library is about 2.8GB. I reported this to marvin's support, Kris requested traces files and seems to be working on it.
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #81
Kovututo Tywudaq
Kovututo Tywudaq began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I’ve been using Marvin on my iPad, and now I see in the updates that I should be using the universal version from now on. The universal version is supposed to be free for a limited time. In the App Store, I see that the universal version is $2.99. Is the limited time over? (I also see a free universal version, but that seems to be a reduced functionality version of the real universal version.)
Kovututo Tywudaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #82
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
Quote:
I am using an Apple mini Ipad...32 Gb Wireless with 18 Gb available. Using iOS 6.1.3 version
5. 'Sending' message
7. Force restart
8. try to open universal Marvin...opens for a second with a flash of 'Restoring...please wait until finished" I think it closes so fast that I have trouble reading it all.
9. still waiting 2 days

If forced to guess, I would say it's an issue with handling such a large file for transfer between apps. Could be a Marvin issue or an iOS issue.

You should send the backup through iTunes and then reload the backup in the universal app through iTunes. Should better handle the large file size.
RONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #83
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I'm disappointed in the IOS 6 requirement since my Ipod touch 3rd Gen won't run it. Rats.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #84
icemudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
If forced to guess, I would say it's an issue with handling such a large file for transfer between apps. Could be a Marvin issue or an iOS issue.

You should send the backup through iTunes and then reload the backup in the universal app through iTunes. Should better handle the large file size.
Well I gave up.. I attempted to backup etc a couple of more times with same results. So I bit the bullet, deleted the ipad version , hooked up the calibre connect with the new version .... transfer smooth. All up to date....sigh..
Thanks to those who tried to help
Happy reading
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #85
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Some changes for Marvin

Quote:
5. 'Sending' message
7. Force restart
9. still waiting 2 days

I'm guessing that the size of your library is causing issues with the sending of the data. I believe iOS has an unwritten limit on how long it will take to send data to another app. I used to have issues when trying to send large video files back and forth to different video player apps. Sometimes it would work, but more often than not it wouldn't. I think you may have to pare down your library to make it work, unfortunately. Or install fresh without a restore, which it looks like you ended up doing. Sorry you couldn't restore more easily, but iOS just doesn't handle passing extremely large files around between apps very well.

Last edited by JTravers; 11-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #86
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Yep, just bought it for $2.99 myself - i'm assuming this is the universal version.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #87
Ross Smith
Ross Smith began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air + iPhone 5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireland View Post
Ross,

I had the same problem, until I figured out that "force quit" means turn off the device. When I did that and restarted, all was fine.

Yet another senior moment.
How on earth was anyone supposed to know to do that? The instructions say nothing about force quitting anything.

So I tried rebooting the iPad just now, because I was worried that the backup might still be sitting around waiting to be restored, and I might end up with duplicate books or something. It turned out to be even worse: the phantom backup was restored and my existing library was thrown away without so much as an "are you sure?", so all the books I had loaded since installing the new version vanished into thin air and I had to reload them from Calibre.

Let's just say I'm not going to be recommending Marvin to anybody.
Ross Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #88
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Smith View Post
How on earth was anyone supposed to know to do that? The instructions say nothing about force quitting anything.
Actually, there's a pop-up in Marvin when you restore that tells you the following:

"Please force-quit Marvin and restart to restore the backup."

Quote:
So I tried rebooting the iPad just now, because I was worried that the backup might still be sitting around waiting to be restored, and I might end up with duplicate books or something.
Well, rebooting is something different (force-quitting is double-clicking the home button and swiping the app away from the screen). Nevertheless, rebooting works, too, as I just verified.

Quote:
It turned out to be even worse: the phantom backup was restored and my existing library was thrown away without so much as an "are you sure?", so all the books I had loaded since installing the new version vanished into thin air and I had to reload them from Calibre.
Sorry to hear that but that's what restoring does - it replaces everything with your backup. There's no such thing as a "phantom backup" but things can go wrong, of course. Having used Marvin's backup & restore process extensively, though, I don't think the problem is within Marvin.

Quote:
Let's just say I'm not going to be recommending Marvin to anybody.
Because a migration went wrong? A migration that's not likely to occur again in the forseeable future? A migration failure that can be fixed by just reloading your books? Oh, well...
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #89
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@icemudder - I'm sorry for the late reply. I was away with a spotty connection.

@Kovututo Tywudaq - Yes. The Universal version was free for three days from launch to help existing iPad users migrate.

@banjomike - The iPhone/iPod version was always iOS 6+.

@harriska2 - Yes, if you paid for it, then it's definitely the Universal version. Thanks for your support.

@Ross Smith - Marvin should have told you that you need to force-quit (restart) after the backup transfer is complete. What happened was that the transfer did happen successfully, you inadvertently missed the popup message and when you restarted (by restarting the device) Marvin restored the backup. I'm sorry you had a bad experience migrating. I'll look into ways to improve it.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #90
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Kevin - I am a bit late to the party, as I was traveling and did not see these changes and migration thing.

I had one last question and request.

Quote:
@Kovututo Tywudaq - Yes. The Universal version was free for three days from launch to help existing iPad users migrate.
Had no idea about this.

Quote:
Will it remain available?

Existing users can continue using Marvin for iPad indefinitely but it will not be available for new users. You’ll find it in your “Purchased” section in the App Store. Marvin for iPad is fully compatible with iOS 7 so, even if you choose not to switch to the new version, I expect you’ll be able to continue using it for a long time.

Since Marvin will no longer be available on the App Store, there will be no new updates. However, I’m more than happy to help with any support questions you may have.
This is my main contention. Can you atleast please allow existing supporters/ users from the forum to "upgrade" to the last and latest of the pre-UNIVERSAL Marvin for iPad.

To avoid New users getting it free, put some crazy price and say "DO NOT BUY" or some marker and it will allow existing users to update to the LAST RELEASE of Marvin for iPad.

Then you may happily remove it. I just feel not all existing users are going to be aware of this or jumping on mavin updates given that it is around thanksgiving/ winter season.

PS: Also, Please give us a bit of warning with major changes.

Quote:
Why?

Marvin for iPad was originally built with iOS 5 in mind. This backwards compatibility is now starting to limit my ability to work on many cool features you’re requesting (e.g. grid view in library).
Dealing with multiple variations of the same app introduces bloat, and makes support and testing much more complex. This way Marvin will be more robust and I can focus more on improvements rather than the plumbing.

Keeping Marvin for iPad would result in 3 versions in the App Store (Universal, iPad-only and Free). Many people will find this confusing.

Each time I submit an update, everyone has to wait for all versions of Marvin to be approved for release by Apple. This streamlining will make the approval process simpler so you can get updates sooner.
I can see and agree with all the above points except one - not completely.
Yes, people may find it confusing but for some not being able to atleast get update to the last & latest Marvin for iPad is a bit of a 'shock'.

Existing users not having some advance notice / breathing room. Even if people used it for free, it just shocks users. Just the way when Google or Facebook make changes without due notice and shock the comfort people had.

Last edited by crashnburn; 12-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote