Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
[Solved] Multiple authors not shown

I just noticed (on Kobo Glo) that only the name of the first author is being displayed for books that have multiple authors.

For example Higher Education by Charles Sheffield and Jerry Pournelle: The Kobo only shows Charles Sheffield as author.

In Calibre the author name is listed as Charles Sheffield & Jerry Pournelle, so I tried changing "&" to "and" but Calibre immediately changed it back to "&".

I'm not sure if this is a Kobo problem or a Calibre one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I'm using firmware 2.3.2, Calibre 0.9.14.

Edit: See post #7 for solution

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-30-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Mark as solved.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Geoff are you aware if Kepubs are handled the same way; that is one author only showing?

Also, does the book have 2 entries - one for Sheffield and one for Purnelle, or just one copy of it shows on the Glo under Sheffield?

Another question: what format have you got your books listed under - title or author?

PS I'll tell you up front that I don't have any answers for you, but these are questions that came to mind when reading your post - the answer to some of which may help to identify what's going on.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Geoff are you aware if Kepubs are handled the same way; that is one author only showing?

Also, does the book have 2 entries - one for Sheffield and one for Purnelle, or just one copy of it shows on the Glo under Sheffield?

Another question: what format have you got your books listed under - title or author?
I have one kepub with multiple authors (editors actually), and all are shown correctly in the format Author1, Author2 and Author3. I haven't found one that uses an ampersand instead of "and", which makes me wonder if the ampersand is the problem.

There is only one copy of the epubs, and it makes no difference whether they are listed by author or by title, they only show the first author.

However if I edit the metedata in Calibre so that the author names are separated by commas (Charles Sheffield, Jerry Pournelle) then the Glo shows both names in the book listings. So that is a work-around, but it would be nice to be able to use "&" or "and" to seperate the authors.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You could try
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Charles Sheffield</dc:creator>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Jerry Pournelle</dc:creator>
or better

Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Sheffield, Charles">Charles Sheffield</dc:creator>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Pournelle, Jerry">Jerry Pournelle</dc:creator>
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I had a look at this a while ago, but I have just done a bit more to refresh my memory.

It looks like it is both calibre and Kobo. It might also be the ePub standard, and one or both of these are following the rules.

The author that is displayed on the Kobo devices is a simple string. Whatever is in the epub as the author will be display.

After sending a book with to authors to my Touch, the following is in the file:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:file-as="Niven, Larry &amp; Pournelle, Jerry" opf:role="aut">Larry Niven</dc:creator>
The Touch reads the first one of these lines, and uses "Larry Niven" as the author.

If I change this to:

Code:
<dc:creator opf:file-as="Niven, Larry &amp; Pournelle, Jerry" opf:role="aut">Larry Niven &amp; Jerry Pournelle</dc:creator>
The Touch uses "Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle" as the author. Based on the sorting it is using "Pournelle" as the surname.

I have a kepub by "Stephen Goldin, Mary Mason". That is what is in the database and the kepub has:
Code:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Stephen Goldin, Mary Mason</dc:creator>
The author sort puts this under "Goldin".

I had a play with the metadata plugboards in calibre and I can't convince it to write the full authors string into the appropriate place. My knowledge of the calibre template language isn't great, so I might have missed something.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard

Thanks tshering and davidfor, I am hoping to be able to do something from Calibre rather than edit each book's metadata directly.

I found how to stop Calibre splitting the authors when using the word "and" as a seperator (Preferences-->Tweaks-->SplittingMultipleAuthorsNames, I changed the regex to 'NeverMatch').

So now I can edit metadata and enter the author(s) as "Charles Sheffield and Jerry Pournelle" and the author_sort as "Sheffield, Charles & Pournelle, Jerry". Kobo displays the names correctly and both the Kobo and Calibre sort by author correctly.

It would probably be much better to let Calibre split the names as it wants and then create a plugboard to transform the names when sent to the Kobo, but I haven't figured out how to do that either.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard

Calibre plugboard solution

I asked in the Calibre forum and found a plugboard solution, many thanks chaley: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202802

In Calibre go to Preferences-->Metadata plugboards and add a new plugboard:
Format: any format
Device: KOBOTOUCH
Source template: {authors:'re(re($, '(.*) & ', '\1 and '), ' & ', ', ')'}
Destination field: authors

Then just enter all authors as normal, seperated by ampersands in the author(s) field, and the Kobo will display them in the same way it does for kepubs:

i.e. In calibre enter: Walter Jon Williams & Steven R. Boyett & Conrad Williams
Kobo will display: Walter Jon Williams, Steven R. Boyett and Conrad Williams
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

[Deleted]

(I thought there was a change to the way multiple authors were handled in firmware 2.8.1, but on second thought I was mistaken.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-30-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: delete