Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
samonakuba
samonakuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Page-turn button noise: Click or no click?

I bought a graphite Kindle 3 from Target in the US recently, and I've noticed that the sound and feel of the page-turn buttons is highly inconsistent. The first machine I got had three "soft" page-turn buttons and one loud clicky one (the lower right down button.) The main difference between the two types is that the "soft" ones feel cushioned, such that if you press them down slowly enough they will not make any noise at all.

That's actually how I thought they were supposed to feel: soft and silent, so I took it back to the store for an exchange due to the clickiness of the fourth button. However, in the replacement machine ALL the buttons are of the "clicky" variety! That is to say, no matter how softly you press down on them they make an unmuffled click; Ironically enough, the left page-down button, which had been completely silent in the first model, is now the loudest.

Maybe I will get used to this, but I would really have loved it all four buttons were as cushy and quiet as they were on the original I brought home. It is distracting while reading at night, especially to other people who happen to be around.

Were those cushy buttons a fluke? What are everybody else's page-turn buttons like?
samonakuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
To tell you the truth, I haven't really paid that much attention to the sounds that the buttons make. But then I don't have the luxury of replacing my devices so easily if there's something I don't like about them so little details like this have gone unnoticed.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
My wi-fi K3 is essentially silent on all four buttons. (I can hear it if I press briskly.) I thought this was a great improvement over the K2, the noise on which was actually rather distracting in a quiet room.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
samonakuba
samonakuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
That's what I've heard! I'm actually not sure how loud the Kindle 2 was so I can't compare it, but the buttons on this model sound almost exactly like mouse clicks.
samonakuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by samonakuba View Post
That's what I've heard! I'm actually not sure how loud the Kindle 2 was so I can't compare it, but the buttons on this model sound almost exactly like mouse clicks.
I think your description in your first post is very accurate:
The buttons feel "cushioned", all 4 equally.
I'm not able to avoid some noise entirely. But I've never actually registered it before.
In comparison, Kindle 2 is way more of a "clicking" sound.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I don't really notice any noise when I turn pages on my K3. My K2 on the other hand had a rather loud noise.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My page forward buttons click...but I only notice it when I want them to be quiet
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Very difficult to confirm or deny your sound description, of course we are not able to hear it via Internet. But Kindle 3 makes a very soft sound every time you press the button to change pages. I cannot compare to Kindle 2, but to a Kindle DXG, and the DXG is louder and not so soft on that matter, in my opinion.

I would say it's not normal to hear a lousy click. My wife never notices when I am turning pages or I am not able to hear such click when I see people around a bookstore and they have a Kindle 3 too.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Great. I wasn't aware of my K2 buttons making any noises whatsoever. But now that you've put the suggestion in my head, I'm sure they will start to sound and feel like typewriter key clunks. Thanks a bunch.

Actually, I have heard the buttons when I consciously focus my attention on them. But I'm a firm believer that if what you're reading is interesting enough... you'll never hear them. So if you do hear them while reading: a) your book sucks, or b) you're skimming and not properly allowing yourself to become immersed, or c) perhaps your toy is still too "shiny-new" and has yet to become invisible (as it eventually will).

It's just like moving into a new house and getting used to all the new creaks and groans when you're lying in bed that first night... they eventually go away.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Great. I wasn't aware of my K2 buttons making any noises whatsoever. But now that you've put the suggestion in my head, I'm sure they will start to sound and feel like typewriter key clunks. Thanks a bunch.
Thats what we are here for. Let us know if we can do anything else for ya.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Mechanical buttons always make a sound, and it can certainly vary from unit to unit. Some people will be more sensitive to it than others.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But I'm a firm believer that if what you're reading is interesting enough... you'll never hear them. So if you do hear them while reading: a) your book sucks, or b) you're skimming and not properly allowing yourself to become immersed, or c) perhaps your toy is still too "shiny-new" and has yet to become invisible (as it eventually will).

It's just like moving into a new house and getting used to all the new creaks and groans when you're lying in bed that first night... they eventually go away.
Actually, you are totally right about "a" and "b".

If the book really catches my attention, my wife can even watch TV (or talk to me, lol) and I don't notice it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
csmint
csmint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
I think I know what the OP is talking about. I had it happen on my first Kindle 3 and went to exchange it with no problem at Best Buy. Recently on the new Kindle 3, I get the clicking sound depending where I click on the right hand side page forward button. I found that if I click lower it won't make the sound at all.
csmint is offline   Reply With Quote