Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Please post links to files and characters that you want tested and I'll post back screenshots.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
http://www.justmathsets.com/files/

There is one epub and one mobi file. See if you have any luck. Thanks.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 AM   #18
w126
w126 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2013), Onyx Boox M92, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Please post links to files and characters that you want tested and I'll post back screenshots.
Could you please test this file http://bookini.pl/filestat.php?file=...157.prc&id=184 ? I am very much interested in how the title of the book is displayed by Kindle 3 in the list of books and when the book is opened. The text of the book should be OK, like it is with Kindle 2. It is only the titles where Kindle 2 has problems with displaying some native characters.
w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G

As you can see there are some Chinese glyphs that didn't display. Other than that unicode seems to be OK.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
That to me implies that they are user generated characters. Ideographs that are so rare that they aren't included in the character set defined by Unicode.
Someone who reads Chinese is better equipped to make an educated guess as to what character might fit the empty square, and if that would be covered by a user defined Hanzhi.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Thanks for testing.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
w126
w126 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2013), Onyx Boox M92, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Other than that unicode seems to be OK.
Thanks a lot for the the test. It's nice to see the part I was interested in fixed in Kindle 3.
w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #23
rdhoore108
Ronny D'Hoore
rdhoore108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 wifi
I would really like to convert files with transliterated Sanskrit to Kindle, and so far it wasn't possible, but now I see a bright future, at least for Kindle 3.

Amazon should also fix it for Kindle 2, at least the one they call "International"... It can't be that hard.

UPDATE:

I just found out it actually works already both on Kindle 2 and 3!!!
The problem was simply that Calibre apparently is not converting my RTF file to MOBI properly. When I use Mobibook Creator instead, and throw in a file I made in wordpad, the Kindle shows ā, ṛ, ś, ṇ etc. properly.

Kindle 2 even supports more Latin unicode characters than Windows XP's fonts. But unfortunately no Devanagari अणऊ, neither on Kindle 2 nor 3.

Last edited by rdhoore108; 09-03-2010 at 02:30 AM.
rdhoore108 is offline   Reply With Quote