Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Reader and RSS

Just a random question, does the reader have capability to deal with RSS feeds in any form? When I was a palm pilot user, I would download five or six feeds that I'd read on a daily basis.

Thanks!
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
AdamT
AdamT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Not natively. I did hack something together a while back to create a bunch of Reader-formatted PDFs (with hyperlinked table of contents) for BBC and CNN feeds but I haven't touched it in ages. If there's interest I can dig it out again, though it's a bit fiddly to setup.

I'm sure someone else did something better.

Actually they did: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7946

Last edited by AdamT; 08-29-2007 at 12:44 PM.
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Still a work in progress but Feedbooks can turn RSS feeds into PDF formatted for the Reader (with TOC, hyphenation etc...): http://www.feedbooks.com/news
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I thought that PDF documents are quite lack-lustre on the Reader?

This is a point of clarification, not complaining about what the Reader does/does not.

I think RSS would be a really neat function for the Reader, and would lend it a good deal of street cred against all the naysayers of a single function device (but boy how the kids love those iPods).
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
AdamT
AdamT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Certainly the LRF/BBeB format is preferable as it supports features that a PDF cannot: auto-layout of pages for example. However, a PDF which is designed to fit the reader screen looks just as good, in my opinion.
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I thought that PDF documents are quite lack-lustre on the Reader?

This is a point of clarification, not complaining about what the Reader does/does not.
PDFs formatted for the screen size of the Reader are just fine; the problem only occurs when you have a PDF that's been formatted for a much larger page size (eg US Letter or A4) and you try to read it on the Reader's much smaller screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yes, RSS feeds on the reader would be great. It's the one feature I really, really want. As well as better PDF support. But that would lead to another discussion of which features one would like in future readers/updates.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
RSS support is independent from the Reader itself, you don't need any update for it. I do read RSS feeds every day on my Reader: it's already possible.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Thanks, I'll give it a spin.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote