Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video: Onyx Boox X60, new drop-proof design

In this video, you can see the insides of the new Onyx e-reader, how they designed it in a way to be drop proof, also using more optimized electronics to be able to lower the cost.

Source: http://armdevices.net/2010/09/06/onyx-boox-x60/
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
and not only that new 6 inch model for throwing about but (grabbing from the video) also a 9.7"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boox90.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	57882  

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 09-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
My heart leaped when she dropped that. Very impressive. I am guessing the last model shown without wifi ect is the new BeBook Club.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The screen is horribly grey.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
another home run video by Charbax...

Thing I see though is Amazon has touted their device the same way but dropped it on it's edge as well...thing is the better framing shown in this video does not look like there is an improved crush protection. Which as long as glass is used is going to be a point of weakness/failure in these devices.

I do love they are so happy to just toss it on the floor for a demo though. I would like to see if they are just as happy to drop it face down or in a tumbling fashion. Hey if it's safe to drop that implies in any fashion. Not knocking the Onyx device, they seem to make wonderful stuff, but rather that it's all about what they don't say. And they never mention twisting or limits (or lack of limits) on drops.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
The screen is horribly grey.
I don't see whatever you are seeing...no different from any other Eink Vizplex panels...in fact in some shots it looked like a Pearl panel.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I don't see whatever you are seeing...no different from any other Eink Vizplex panels...in fact in some shots it looked like a Pearl panel.
I always hated my Vizplex-equipped reader.
In many lighting conditions it was unreadable while a paper book was perfectly readable.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
In many lighting conditions it was unreadable while a paper book was perfectly readable.
OK...while I am not a fan of current eink brand panels, I have never found a lighting condition where it was any more difficult to read than a dead tree book.

Still, for people who need higher contrast, and there are LOTS of them, nothing is going to beat a a backlit LCD panel for a long time to come. I have long posted here that I prefer LCD panels but also can use my K2 without issue...then again I also love reading on my Sony Clie nx73v PDA vintage 2004 as it too can be read in full sunlight thanks to being transflective.

But, in the video, I just don't see the degree of issue you imply from your previous comment. And no I am not saying you are wrong for not being on the EPD bandwagon because I am not either...but still my Vizplex 2 based K2i is an excellent reading device...I can even read it in movie theater lighting while waiting for a movie to begin and I never would have tried that with my K1. Pearl has to be even better...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Looks kinda ugly and the screen is too grey, agree.
First Onyx looks much better.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Hard to tell on the screen, they didn't show much and Charbax was bouncing around.

But it kind of seemed like normal Viziplex.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Perhaps that's why you think it's no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I agree. It looks darker than my screen. And darker that the other screens that they show.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
and not only that new 6 inch model for throwing about but (grabbing from the video) also a 9.7"
Com'on.
Shouldn't you know better than judging by pictures only?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote