Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Kobo Touch is stuck on one page

I was gifted a Kobo Touch that worked fine for about 5 days and then got stuck on one page. It's been there ever since.

What I've tried in vain so far:

Holding the slide button to the right on top which should start up the device.

Holding the slide button to the right while simultaneously keeping the home button on front of the device pressed down which should factory reset the device.

Reset the device with reset button/hole at the back of the device.

Connect the device to my computer with a USB cable.

None of these actions have worked.

The screen does not appear to be damaged though ( see photo), so now I'm waiting until the device's battery is fully discharged hopefully the device will reboot then.

Ideas are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Touch stuck.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	753.4 KB
ID:	161729  
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Your Kobo may actually already be fully discharged--it is just displaying the last screen it showed before being depleted of power.

I suggest plugging it in to a wall outlet and charging it overnight.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
eshajan
Enthusiast

When I hold the slide button to the right the blue light on the reader still turns on so the battery is not fully discharged. It was on 74% prior to the reader getting stuck.
I think that waiting until the battery is fully discharged is still my best bet.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Connect the device to PC and touch where the "Connect" button supposed to be, if the computer detect the device, the screen is not responsive.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshajan View Post
Holding the slide button to the right while simultaneously keeping the home button on front of the device pressed down which should factory reset the device.
Not quite the full manual reset procedure.
  1. Slide and hold the power switch to the right for 30 seconds to force a power off.
  2. Release the power switch.
  3. Press and hold the home button then slide the power switch to the right.
  4. When the LED lights up, release the power switch while continuing to hold the home button. You may have to slide the power switch a couple of times.
  5. Continue to hold the home button until the LED starts to rapidly flash.
  6. Release the home button.

Your Touch should now go into it's restoring routine. An alternative is to hold the home button while using the pinhole reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
eshajan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not quite the full manual reset procedure.
  1. Slide and hold the power switch to the right for 30 seconds to force a power off.
  2. Release the power switch.
  3. Press and hold the home button then slide the power switch to the right.
  4. When the LED lights up, release the power switch while continuing to hold the home button. You may have to slide the power switch a couple of times.
  5. Continue to hold the home button until the LED starts to rapidly flash.
  6. Release the home button.

Your Touch should now go into it's restoring routine. An alternative is to hold the home button while using the pinhole reset.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried both procedures, the device is still stuck on the same page, unfortunately.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshajan View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried both procedures, the device is still stuck on the same page, unfortunately.
I suspect a broken screen. Haven't had any bumps or drops?

Broken e-ink screens manifest in different ways: my son's Touch screen still changes (black/grey/white) but doesn't display anything anymore; I have a dead Glo which displays half of a book cover and then some stuff that looks like blotches and diagonal lines, and my first broken Aura (yeah I've been around) manifested like what you describe (text remained on screen, but nothing I did made it change).
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
eshajan
Enthusiast

You may be right, the device did fall off the bed to the floor (not even a heavy fall) prior to getting stuck.
If they're that fragile then this will have been my first and last E-ink device.

I've been using AI reader for android for some time now and the software is far superior to the Kobo's software, both in smoothness of operation and actual options. Best of all, it's free.

Thanks for the input, everybody.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They are extremely fragile, due to the glass substrate. There are flexible e-Ink screens but you don't find them in consumer devices. ( http://www.eink.com/flexible-technology.html ). It's probably fair to say it's the biggest weakness of this technology.

Amazon countered this weakness by having a very generous replacement policy. It resulted in blog posts like this one and in turn a huge advertizement for their eReaders.

Quote:
I've been using AI reader for android for some time now and the software is far superior to the Kobo's software, both in smoothness of operation and actual options.
Android offers a very nice environment for all sorts of apps but they all rely on displays that update in real time. There have been eInk devices using Android in the past and they pretty much all sucked, so unfortunately moving to the Android platform does not solve software issues at all. All those smooth animations, color highlights and subtle hints that android does on smartphones - would kill the experience completely on eInk.

Slow response time of the display is the second biggest weakness of the technology. No matter which software, with an eInk display it will just feel sluggish to the extreme. Acceptable when you're just flipping pages, but going through interactive menus, and PDF panning/zooming etc. is a chore.

For reading with an Android device, my favorite is the AMOLED display you find in Samsung and other devices. If you can get used to nightmode reading (white text, black background), this is great on OLEDs because black pixels are really off so - just like eInk, there is no backlight. And the brightness of the text can be adjusted (reducing overall display brightness, and by using some shade of grey color instead of fullbright white).

The only thing that doesn't work and remains eInk territory is reading outdoors / sunlight on the beach.

Now, smartphones and tablets are also fragile but it's more obvious so as the glass is in the front, not hidden inside the device, and for some models in the event of breakage, it can be replaced independent of the display unit itself.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I am using EBookDroid app on 10 inch Android nextbook. Had to lower screen brightness a lot to read in bed. Use same setting in everywhere in house. Don't use it outside in bright light. The app doesn't do page turns only scroll up/down.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you Touch fell on the floor, did it have a case on it?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezes, frozen, kobo, stuck