Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's a very good point. Being able to tether to your cell phone mean why pay the extra for cell when it's not needed? I see no need for cell on a Kindle that has WiFi.
My phone service is provided free by Safelink, paid for by either Social Security or Medicare, I forget which. It doesn't include a hotspot and there are a lot of older people in the same boat. So it's 3G or read on the phone. I do most of my reading at home but lately I have been reading on my phone more and more when I'm not home. I used to just take my Kindle with me but this is easier.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #17
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I probably use the cellular feature on my Voyage (previously on my KK) about twice a year, but I love it! It's my security blanket. I excuse this by not paying to turn off the ads, even though that is trivial compared to the price of cellular.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #18
LosrDeluxEdition
LosrDeluxEdition began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
"Unlimited" 3g KOA2, blocked even from opening basic sites in explorer, wtf only limited to downloading from Kindle store. Even more reason to buy only wifi model. Is there by chance any hack/mod which allows us to browse freely? Just unlimited unlimited basic browsing would be good.
LosrDeluxEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosrDeluxEdition View Post
"Unlimited" 3g KOA2, blocked even from opening basic sites in explorer, wtf only limited to downloading from Kindle store. Even more reason to buy only wifi model. Is there by chance any hack/mod which allows us to browse freely? Just unlimited unlimited basic browsing would be good.
Why should Amazon pay for your browsing? Most sites don't work on the sluggish "experimental" browser anyway.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's because of people who previously hacked/modded 3G Kindles to allow unlimited usage that Amazon has done what they have done with 3G. And the answer to your question is you won't find any help here to steal 3G from Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Why should Amazon pay for your browsing? Most sites don't work on the sluggish "experimental" browser anyway.
Maybe to hack the 3G to allow unlimited tethering. But even still, that is not allow here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It was a great feature back in 2009 when I had my first Kindle, a 2nd gen. We didn't have smart phones yet, and during my MIL's lengthy hospital stay, it allowed me to look up medicines and medical terms, and keep Facebook updated for out of state Family.

But wow, was it sluggish. Last time I tried using the experimental browser on a Paperwhite, it wouldn't load any page I tried.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #23
LosrDeluxEdition
LosrDeluxEdition began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I paid 457 US dollars for this "privilege", Amazon is not paying me anything they advertise unlimited 3g atleast browsing should be allowed freely. I don't need this connection to steal/download I already have 200 up/down connection with 2TB cap. I am a non native speaker, this model was chosen specifically so I could look up topics/words/references which could not fully grapsed with the inbuilt dictionary and to avoid the additional irration of everytime using phone/laptop for the aforementioned case.
LosrDeluxEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #24
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Having a 3G Kindle also lets you use the translation feature and access Wikipedia while you're away from Wifi. Wikipedia is the reason I buy 3G.

Barry
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
barryem
Wizard

I just looked on Amazon's Oasis page and I couldn't find anything about unlimited 3G. They said it's used to download books from anywhere.

And you didn't really pay $457 for the 3G. That was only $70 extra. The rest was for the Oasis. According to Amazon you pay $70 to be able to download books. They throw in Wikipedia and translation because they're saints.

Barry