Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Jho
Jho began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking for a specific reader

I've always been resentful in choosing a reader because I've never liked the options and they're very questionable to me

I'm looking for a reader that has absolutely the greatest accessibility of all others
Jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jho View Post
I've always been resentful in choosing a reader because I've never liked the options and they're very questionable to me

I'm looking for a reader that has absolutely the greatest accessibility of all others
Accessibility in what way? Do you have a visual disability? Do you mean "accessible" in terms of ease of use? Do you mean "accessible" in terms of availability for you where you live?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Jho

accessibility in terms which reader has the greatest access to book formats
Old 11-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The most flexible would be either an Android device or an iPad; either case you can take advantage of their stores to install readers for whatever formats you want.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Jho

is there no reader that has the best access to all book formats?
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
accessibility in terms which reader has the greatest access to book formats
Here are the two that do the best
PDF, ePub, DjVu, TXT, FB2, FB2.zip, CBR, CBZ, HTML, CHM, MOBI for any PocketBook

ePub, MOBI, PDF, TXT, HTML, CHM, PDB, FB2, DJVU, RTF, DOC, ZIP for any BOOX, Onyx

There is also
Icarus does ePub, PDF, FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM plus it uses Android so apps will work for additional formats.

Look in our wiki for the models.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Pocketbook readers read a lot of formats: EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF DRM, PDF, FB2, FB2.ZIP, TXT, DJVU, HTML, DOC, DOCX, RTF, CHM, TCR, PRC (MOBI)

Or an Android based reader on which you could install your desired apps for reading.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Jho

in your sincere opinions, which of both are superior in regard to accessibility of book formats
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Are any of these formats not readily convertible by Calibre?
Do any other features matter to you?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
Jho

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Are any of these formats not readily convertible by Calibre?
Do any other features matter to you?
I do not know, I've never had a Reader to say

and another question
Which of the Readers has access to Largest amount of books?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do not know, I've never had a Reader to say

and another question
Which of the Readers has access to Largest amount of books?
No one reader has access to the largest amount of books, if you're prepared to put in a touch of work learning to use Calibre.

As a bit of a starting point to trying to point you in the right direction, what sort of books do you like to read? Classics, bestseller fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, academic papers, other? Is there a particular reason you're concerned about formats - what have you heard about ereaders and formats? Will you want to borrow library ebooks? What country are you in?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
Jho

What is the purpose of having a reader when you are limited to what you read?
I read about everything and alot
and I just want a reader who is able to do the same
Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is the purpose of having a reader when you are limited to what you read?
I read about everything and alot
and I just want a reader who is able to do the same
The primary purpose of the ereader makes a big difference. Reading complex full-size graphic novels or scientific PDFs on a six inch screeen is not an exercise in fun. But not everyone can drop many hundreds of dollars on an ereader, or wants to lug around a huge device.

But ok, if you're not planning on answering my questions or volunteering any further information at all, and since you're clearly not interested in tailored advice, other than "the most formats": get a tablet such as an iPad, the biggest you can afford. *shrug* It may well not be suited to your actual needs, but there's no way for me to tell.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #14
Jho

my concerned about formats is the more formats the reader can support, the more it can read,right?

but I still find it questionable because I still want to know which reader can still access the largest possible amount of books
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
In general an ereader is sold by the store to sell you ebooks so the reader you get will determine which store you can buy from most easily. The usual favorites are Kindle and Kobo and if you're in the USA there's also the Nook. All three have huge libraries and there aren't many books that aren't in all three, although there are some.

The country you live in also affects which books you can buy because not every book is published in every country.

Calibre is a program for your computer that can convert books to different formats. I have a Kindle and I buy my books from Amazon. I also have a Kobo and a Nook but I don't buy books from them. I use Calibre with a plugin from Apprentice Alf to convert books from Kindle format so I can read them on the other devices.

Calibre is a free program, as is the Apprentice Alf plugin. Google can help you find them. I'm not sure I'm allowed, in this forum, to tell you where to get the plugin since they can be misused.

My usual procedure is to buy a book on Amazon, download it to my PC, convert it to the epub format if I want to read it on my Nook or Kobo and then transfer the book to that device. Typically from the time I decide to buy the book to the time I have it on my Kobo is about 2 minutes. Often less. The process is trivial.

Given that you might do better to focus on the features of the various devices and on the stores and their policies and decide which device you like best, which store you like best, etc.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote