Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #31
Haugor
Enthusiast
Haugor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch C、KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Hi Haugor! It should be fairly easy. As you can see my Linux image had some kind of boot menu (Linux works in chroot environment so the kernel is shared), but has old Kobo software.

After upgrading Kobo software the only thing that doesn't work is this boot menu. It's because it's written in Python and python binaries used are not compatible with newer kobo software. Hence this thread - it's about how to make Python working with newer software.

But you can search the forum for alternative kobo menu apps. There a few developed here. Apps that allow you to choose if you want to boot to nickel or koreader should work for you.

All you need to have the Linux working is:
- my kernel (changed for screen updates)
- copy of the folder with linux

And the way to start the chroot env:
- my changes in init (startup) rc.d script
- some menu run on startup to choose if you want to start nickel or chroot
Thanks very much, MarekGibek. I will try it~~
Haugor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #32
labero
labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello!

Does any one have this python+pygame armhf package? copy.com seems to be closed down for good so the link doesn't work unfortunately.
labero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #33
pipcat
Connoisseur
pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pipcat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo Hd
You can try at Niluje Kobo Tools:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254214
pipcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that my build is CLI only, no PyGTK or PyQt stuff or PyGame or SDL.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #35
labero
labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.labero is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the quick reply! I have downloaded Niluje package and I'm sure it works great! Thanks Niluje! However I cant seem to find pygame in it and I need some kind of library that can draw stuff on the e-ink screen. Any ideas?
labero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #36
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
I am sorry to bump again such an old thread but the link is down and Niluje's build doesn't include the necessary stuff to run the kobo weather forecast app...

Does someone have a working link or a tutorial to add the necessary stuff to Niluje's build?
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I vaguely looked into it and IIRC some of it (PyGame, maybe?) depends on SDL-1, and I so very much don't want to build such an outdated thing .

SDL-2, on the other hand, why not, but it possibly dropped the only video driver that handled the Kobo fb, so, meh.

If someone cares enough to check, it's probably trivial to build (SDL2, I mean. Python extensions are a bit of a nightmare to cross-compile).

Having basics understanding of how Linux stuff builds (i.e., being vaguely familiar with autotools should cover most of it) helps.
My toolchains should now also be fairly trivial to build, someone asked something of the sort recently in the Kindle dev forum and was successful without too much trouble.

As for the Python thing, my build-script has extensive comments about that, so I won't repeat myself .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: xref the thread in question, should cover the rest of the basics.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #38
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I vaguely looked into it and IIRC some of it (PyGame, maybe?) depends on SDL-1, and I so very much don't want to build such an outdated thing .
SDL-2, on the other hand, why not, but it possibly dropped the only video driver that handled the Kobo fb, so, meh.
If someone cares enough to check, it's probably trivial to build (SDL2, I mean. Python extensions are a bit of a nightmare to cross-compile).
Having basics understanding of how Linux stuff builds (i.e., being vaguely familiar with autotools should cover most of it) helps.
My toolchains should now also be fairly trivial to build, someone asked something of the sort recently in the Kindle dev forum and was successful without too much trouble.
As for the Python thing, my build-script has extensive comments about that, so I won't repeat myself .
I am going to try as I have some experience in building android I may be able to build SDL2 etc...

Thanks for your reply!
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you hit a snag along the way, I'll be happy to steer you in the right direction .
Old 12-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #40
Hexalyse
Hexalyse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini / Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy Download link no longer available

Hello,

I have a Kobo Mini with 3.4.1 firmware. I guess your version of python would work but... the download link given in the first post is dead.

Could someone upload it somewhere else ?
Hexalyse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armhf, kobo, python