Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 04-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Haggard, H. Rider: Haggard Anthology Vol 9. v2, 4 Apr 2008

The 9th volume in my H. Rider Haggard Anthology, containing the following books:

1. The Witch's Head

A supernatural tale of the evil influence of a witch-doctor's severed head. Spooky stuff!

2. Jess

An African tale of adventure and romance.

3. Mr. Meeson's Will

A crime/adventure story.

Colonel Quaritch, V.C.

A story of the "goings-on" in a quiet English country village.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 4 Apr 08

Recreated the book to improve the formatting, preserve dashes, etc. Uploaded v2.

Previous download count: 188
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Haggard Anthology Vol 9.lrf (1.35 MB, 2052 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I do not remember ever reading anything by Haggard. However, given your liking of Burroughs, Doyle, and Verne it seems logical that I should give them a read. The worst that could happen is that I want to read every word of each volume. There are worse fates. Thanks Harry.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd suggest you read the first ones in order - ie starting with my Vol 1, with "King Solomon's Mines". These first few really should be read in the order I've done them, for maximum enjoyment.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I had also never read Haggard and had never even heard of the Quartermain character until the semi-recent movie "The League of Extraordinary Gentleman". Thanks to your work here Harry, I downloaded your volume 1 and last night finished the first book, King Solomon's Mine. It was a good adventure story and the "old english" setting really came across in the writing. I plan to start book 2 later this week.

Are all the Haggard books around Quartermain?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Certainly not all, not, but there are about a dozen novels, and a few short stories that are. You'll find all the novels in the first few volumes of my "anthology"; the short stories I've yet to do.

It's interesting - he was immensely popular in the late 19th and early 20th century, but today he's one of those fictional characters who has almost vanished from people's memory. Largely, I suspect, because many of Haggard's novels - and especially the African ones with Allan Quatermain - are quite monstrously "un-P.C." by today's standards .
Advert
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
That is true, but different times, it lent authenticity.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Same sort of hyper-sensitivity that gets some of Mark Twain's work ... quietly set aside.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Same sort of hyper-sensitivity that gets some of Mark Twain's work ... quietly set aside.
They have tried to ban one of Twain's books or another since he first wrote them. Sort of like the old joke that the required reading in the schools was banned from the local library.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, I suppose if nobody cared about it enough to ban it, a book wouldn't qualify as "literature."

During my school days I defined a "Classic" as something that kept coming back no matter how bad it was. Of course I had a bad attitude about pretty much everything they made us read -- partly because I didn't like the idea of being told what to read when I was perfectly capable of choosing my own reading list, but I think it mostly had to do with their making ninth-graders read Lord of the Flies -- ninth-graders are messed up enough without doing that to them, at least, I was.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

One certainly has to read Haggard as a product of his own time - ie the height of the British Empire when nobody questioned the "rightness" of European colonialism.

Haggard was, in fact, considered quite a "radical" author for his time, in that he was firmly in favour of native African peoples ruling themselves, with minimal interference from colonial authorities - a view which certainly didn't fit in with the generally accepted attitudes of the time.

One of the reasons I so much enjoy reading Haggard is that he does give one a view of a world that's now completely vanished.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Recreated the book to improve the formatting, preserve dashes, etc. Uploaded v2.