Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
curiosity
Enthusiast
curiosity doesn't littercuriosity doesn't litter

Device: prs600
Save Template Query - Multiple Authors to Single Directory (for Series)

G'day all,

I've been searching for a while now and can't seem to find the solution. I've tried to come up with a solution myself and still cannot seem to get it, so some help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm having a problem when there are multiple authors in a series. For example, David Gemmell has his Troy series. His third book was co-written by Stella Gemmell (as he died before he finished).

Saving to disk, I get David Gemmell with his multiple books/series and of course, David Gemmell & Stella Gemmell with the one book (Troy #3).

Which in itself isn't so bad when you look at the directories and David Gemmell alphabetically being first the second directory created its fairly obvious. David Gemmell followed by David Gemmell & Stella Gemmell.

Where the issue is lets say A Clarke and David Gemmell were co authors of a book, looking at the directory's on your H/d they would be well separated and not obvious.

Is there a save template where I can have this third book in his own directory? I don't care if it doubles up under both authors name.

So: David Gemmell / Troy 03 - Fall of Kings - David Gemmell.ext where Stella is ignored.

Or: David Gemmell / Troy 03 - Fall of Kings - David Gemmell & Stella Gemmell.ext where she's ignored in the directory name but included in the file.

Or: David Gemmell / Troy 03 - Fall of Kings - David Gemmell.ext
Stelle Gemmell / Troy 03 - Fall of Kings - Stella Gemmell.ext

Don't care how it's done, so long as I can have at least one directory which will have the entire series (obviously so long as one author was involved in all the books).

Cheers.

Just as an FYI currently my save template is:
{authors}/{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {authors} - {isbn}

I do not have an issue having multiple doubles of a book on my physical H/d space is not a premium nowadays.
curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I suspect automatic PATH shortening is taking place. count the characters in the whole path.

First of all, decide if Authors or Series is your sort choice. You can't really have it both ways when a Series has more than a single (overall) Author.
Do you really need ISBN as the file name? ISBN is in the metadata
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect automatic PATH shortening is taking place. count the characters in the whole path.

First of all, decide if Authors or Series is your sort choice. You can't really have it both ways when a Series has more than a single (overall) Author.
Do you really need ISBN as the file name? ISBN is in the metadata
Hey G'day,

Thank you for the courtesy of a reply. You've misunderstood what I'm asking for totally..

Firstly I want the ISBN because its right there in my face when I look at the file name, I don't particularly want to open Calibre every time I want to see quick information.

It has nothing to do with path shortening, we are allowed 260 characters in a file name nowadays.
The DOS days are long gone when we were limited to 8 characters only for a file name.
So I'm making full use of file names for as much information to be displayed as is practicable all well under the 260 character limit.

Secondly you may have answered my question already that you can't have Authors and their full series in a Save To Directory in the one directory or can you?

Which to me is a little crazy and not good house keeping.

David Gemmel as per my example died halfway through writing the third book in the series, his Wife finished it. So if I ask Calibre or any other database to write to disk I would like David Gemmel and what he has written to be place in One directory not multiple directories.

eg I don't give a toss if his wife co authored the third and final book, she doesn't deserve a directory of her own ..

The only exception I make to this rule is the Star Trek Star Wars etc genre where you have many books many authors. And they are exceptions everyone knows Star Trek / Star Wars etc very few who their authors are.

As for the main stream people will talk about author and not particularly series, or if series is mentioned who was the author, I would eat my hat if anyone bothers to even think of the possibility that a co author may exist.

There are titles where even the Editor/Publisher gets a mention and a separate directory which is even more annoying.

The database does its work ok but then when placing the hard copy it would like you to throw a book in several directions.

So if I want to see what a particular Author has written as far as series is concerned I need to use a database/Calibre!?.. to find out what all the books are.

Saving to disk as series makes no sense at all, if you have to open the directory to find out who the author is.

I will have to look at an alternative way to save the files so I can have Author/co author book name series name.

Cheers and thanks again for the reply,
Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No filenames cannot be 260 characters, the total path length (of which the filename is only a part) can be 260 characters. And use cases like yours are the whole reason people use databases rather than the filesystem to store data. Finally if you want to have all books in a series in one folder use a template of

{series}/{title}
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Assuming David Gemmell is listed as the first author:

Code:
{authors:sublist(0,1,&)||/}{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {authors} - {isbn}
P.S. I'm not actually sure what the separator is for multiple authors (although I remember it being &). I don't really have books with multiple authors. Neither have I added any series info yet. I just use the sublist function for tags (comma separator) so my Save to Disk looks like this for now:

Code:
{tags:sublist(0,1,\,)||/}{authors:'re(transliterate($),"[^A-Za-z0-9&-_ ]","")'|| - }{title:'re(transliterate($),"[^A-Za-z0-9&-_ ]","")'}

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-02-2018 at 10:11 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No filenames cannot be 260 characters, the total path length (of which the filename is only a part) can be 260 characters. And use cases like yours are the whole reason people use databases rather than the filesystem to store data. Finally if you want to have all books in a series in one folder use a template of

{series}/{title}
Hey G'day,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.. I know I can do series in a folder but that doesnt resolve the problem with having the Author listed first. Author name (book title) (everything that author wrote series wise).. as per my David Gemmel example.

Just as a by the by if you didnt know already..

by Stephen WallaceMay 29, 2016 at 13:20 GMT
windows-10

The maximum length for a path (file name and its directory route) — also known as MAX_PATH — has been defined by 260 characters. But with the latest Windows 10 Insider preview, Microsoft is giving users the ability to increase the limit.

The recent most Windows 10 preview is enabling users to change the 260 characters limit. As mentioned in the description, “Enabling NTFS long paths will allow manifested win32 applications and Windows Store applications to access paths beyond the normal 260 char limit per node.”

https://mspoweruser.com/ntfs-260-character-windows-10/

Some interesting things can be done with Windows file naming and directory structures.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Code:
{authors:sublist(0,1,&)||/}{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {authors} - {isbn}
P.S. I'm not actually sure what the separator is for multiple authors (although I remember it being &). I don't really have books with multiple authors. Neither have I added any series info yet. I just use the sublist function for tags (comma separator) so my Save to Disk looks like this for now:

Code:
{tags:sublist(0,1,\,)||/}{authors:'re(transliterate($),"[^A-Za-z0-9&-_ ]","")'|| - }{title:'re(transliterate($),"[^A-Za-z0-9&-_ ]","")'}
Hey G'day,

Ohh I apologise I'm just editing what I wrote, I should open my eyes a bit more and read what you put down properly.

Fantastic I will give that a try and let you know how it went.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by curiosity; 02-02-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:

Code:

Code:
Just to let you know, that worked BEAUTIFULLY !!!!!! thank you ever so much...

That gave me exactly what I wanted. The last 3 books written by Gemmel and finished by his wife are in the David Gemmel directory FANTASTIC!!!!

I am excited and beyond happy,

Thank you for the rest of the building blocks...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
You're very welcome.

I actually only started playing with Calibre again. I've been revamping my entire library 2-3 times a week as I try to figure how best to arrange it (for easy browsing with Dropbox) while still providing good organization with my current ebook reader app (no support for custom columns so everything has to be in tags). The sublist thing, I just played around with last weekend.

Calibre templates are quite robust and there's a very good tutorial/manual here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html

and a list of available functions:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...plate_ref.html

If you click on the Template Editor button while on Save to Disk, you can even see a preview of the template's output, see the various available functions and test them out.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #10
curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
You're very welcome.

I actually only started playing with Calibre again. I've been revamping my entire library 2-3 times a week as I try to figure how best to arrange it (for easy browsing with Dropbox) while still providing good organization with my current ebook reader app (no support for custom columns so everything has to be in tags). The sublist thing, I just played around with last weekend.

Calibre templates are quite robust and there's a very good tutorial/manual here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html

and a list of available functions:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...plate_ref.html

If you click on the Template Editor button while on Save to Disk, you can even see a preview of the template's output, see the various available functions and test them out.

With thanks for the links,

You have no idea how happy I am and I'm rather glad you took up playing with Calibre again.

The exercise for me has been frustrating for quite a while, not being able to convey what I was looking for. So hats off to you and ty again for understanding what I was chasing, have redone my whole library its perfect this time around..

Have also saved to disk with Genre as well.. again awesome..

Avagreatday from the colonies downunder,

Cheers,
Steve