Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Great work! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarter View Post
[CENTER]writing a Kindle GUI for the Kindle but this will require more work
do you consider using the Qt platform for that? I can agree that it is slightly overstuffed,
but the good side of it is that it is already ported to kindle environment.
Currently it comes as a part of FBReader/fbKindle package, but could be distilled into a
separate entity in no time. This way we could start building the Qt-based SW suite for kindle...
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This is great!
Thanks for the explanation in the reddit post.

However after I've installed launchpad and mplayer, today , 10 hours after I set my Kindle3 to sleep I've got a notification about the battery being low (first time I get this).

Could mplayer be still active in the background draining the battery?
When you put the Kindle to sleep does the mplayer process is put to "sleep" as well?
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Smarter
Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 3 with 3G, UK version
Quote:
do you consider using the Qt platform for that?
I'd love to, since I'm a KDE developer, I'm just worried about the memory and CPU usage, I'll try fbkindle to see how it holds up.
Edit: Wow, the fbkindle source package is a real mess, I managed to find the actual source of the Qt plugins here: http://www2.griffin.net/kindleqt/ I'll try to play with that .
Quote:
When you put the Kindle to sleep does the mplayer process is put to "sleep" as well?
Yup; the system isn't really stopped when the Kindle is in sleep mode(either in the sleep mode with the screensaver or the one without), so if mplayer is running it will continue to do so(and you'll still hear music). To prevent that, use the stop shortcut "Shift, M, S" which also quit mplayer. I guess I should add a warning about that.

Last edited by Smarter; 02-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Smarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
I managed to find the actual source of the Qt plugins here: http://www2.griffin.net/kindleqt/ I'll try to play with that .
I started with that code too, but than had to rewrite the keyboard and screen plugins.
Look under drivers/ in a source tarball.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
To prevent that, use the stop shortcut "Shift, M, S" which also quit mplayer. I guess I should add a warning about that.
That explains it. I think I didn't "Shift, M, S" last night so the battery went to almost empty.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Smarter
Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Smarter can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
I started with that code too, but than had to rewrite the keyboard and screen plugins.
Look under drivers/ in a source tarball.
I see. If you and the original author don't mind, I think it'd be great to publish that on gitorious, maybe at http://gitorious.org/kindlebrew
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #22
dent
dent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
wow, thanks for sharing that smarter!

a few comments:
  • you should add a mkdir -p build before cd build in build.sh
  • The source mentioned you couldn't get libasound to build. I built it using the same environment you use with the following configure:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/home/kindle --host=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi --build=i686-linux-gnu
I think I had to patch it first with the fix-tstamp-declaration.patch that comes with the amazon sources. It's also possible the patch command failed and I had to do it manually (it's pretty small). That was when I was still experimenting, before I started keeping detailed notes on my build commands

I couldn't however get the alsa-utils to build but decided i didn't need them for cross-compiling so left it at that.

Did you configure crosstools-ng identically to NiLuJe's log file? I ask because, other than using crosstools-ng-1.9.2, i configured mine identically to his (including using glibc 2.9 for the c library which now that i've tried building a few things for the kindle i'm starting to question: why 2.9 when the kindle ships libc.so.5?)

I can build mplayer with your script (the patch to avoid pulling in glibc) but when i try running it on the kindle I get:
Code:
./mplayer: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./mplayer)
Your mplayer binary works just fine though. Fwiw, I got the same error when I recently built gstreamer but haven't had the chance to investigate it further yet.

thanks!
dent
dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
Smarter

Quote:
you should add a mkdir -p build before cd build in build.sh
Oh, I thought it was in the git repo, I'll add it.
Quote:
The source mentioned you couldn't get libasound to build.
I was able to build it, but only the static library.
Quote:
Did you configure crosstools-ng identically to NiLuJe's log file?
Pretty much. I'm currently trying to get older glibc to build, but this isn't easy (ct-ng is missing patches for some versions). If I get something satisfactory I'll post it somewhere. I'm thinking of starting a wiki, maybe kindlebrew.wikia.com (to follow the trend set by wiibrew and dsibrew).
Quote:
I can build mplayer with your script (the patch to avoid pulling in glibc) but when i try running it on the kindle I get:
Weird. The patch should prevent that. What's the output of
Code:
objdump -T mplayer|grep GLIBC_2\.7
?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
Smarter

New release, with shuffle mode!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #25
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
New release, with shuffle mode!
Very nice.

But I've ran into a new problem. It seems that occasionally that the mplayer stops working. I think that it's a consequent to my Kindle losing its wifi signal while listening to a radio channel, this happens all the time after mostly a rather short while. Of course the radio cannot work without wifi, but it cannot even play the local playlist anymore after this has occured. I'm not sure if this could be the mplayers fault, though. I read that others also have this problem, but not related to the use this app. I have to reset my Kindle to get it to find the signal again, unfortunately.

I like to hear if anyone else has this problem, or if not.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Smarter

Even when you stop mplayer with the "M S" shortcut before restarting it?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #27
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Even when you stop mplayer with the "M S" shortcut before restarting it?
Yes, I've tried that. It's kinda strange, really.

I guess you could turn off your internet while the Kindle is streaming to imitate the situation, though it might not be the same.

But there haven't been any other reports of this happing yet, so I really don't think that this has anything to do with the player itself.

I read that the Kindle doesn't, supposely, like older routers, and the one I have is long past is prime, I'll admit. But it still works solid enough on my laptop.

Edit:

My Kindle just lost the signal without even having turned on the player, so is not the player's fault, I'm sure. My laptop was left unaffected.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Okay, this is getting even more frustrating now.

Here's why; I was listening to music locally (M-A), but 15 mins after it had gone into screensaver mode, it suddenly stopped playing. I tried to start the player agian, but, alas, no luck.

I'll try to see if I reproduce the event.

Update:

Having tried multiple times, I still get the same result.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-07-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #29
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Hm, I tried to setup seeking forward/backwards by adding 'cmd "seek 5"' etc to the control.sh script but there is a problem - sound always stopped a few seconds after the seek was performed (this is actually a local file in music directory, not a stream).
Then I tried running mplayer via SSH (without the slave mode) and seeking again (this time using arrows) - and again the same problem. So it seems like a problem with mplayer itself...

Last edited by janvanmaar; 02-08-2011 at 05:50 PM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #30
Smarter

Quote:
Here's why; I was listening to music locally (M-A), but 15 mins after it had gone into screensaver mode, it suddenly stopped playing. I tried to start the player agian, but, alas, no luck.
Try editing control.sh and replacing
Code:
killall mplayer
with:
Code:
killall -9 mplayer

Tags
aac, mplayer, music, ogg, streaming