Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
tr_tr
tr_tr began at the beginning.

Device: none
compact tablet PC or an ebook reader?

I am still looking for the perfect ebook reader, unfortunately they all seem to have issues or a lack of features so I'm leaning towards buying a tablet PC.

The most feature rich ebook reader is probably the Irex dr1000s. I like its size, pdf reading capabilities, note taking. It costs in the Netherlands 699.00 Euro

Then there are the compact tablet PC's like

Asus EEE PC T91 price 459 Euro
Gigabyte Netbook T1028 599 Euro

or the less compact

HP TouchSmart TX2-1050ED 919 Euro

They all have their pros and cons. I am in doubt, and although money is not my biggest concern I might buy the T91 for its price and hope it will do what I want.

Not interested in handwriting recognition, but I do want to anotate pdf's (and preferably other formats as well)
It needs to be as compatible and fast enough for all pdf's (also bigger PDF's based on scans). The less I need to scroll through PDF's the better, so the bigger screen of the HP TX2 and Irex could be very useful.

Still in doubt, so if anyone has suggestions that might help me decide please let me know.
tr_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
The ebook readers are just that, ebook readers. If you're gonna need a lot more function besides comfortable reading, even the most feature rich ebook readers will be overshadowed by a tablet pc.

Buut if money is not your concern I guess I'm preaching to the wrong crowd.

Can you specify a little bit more as to why you're in a dilemma between a tablet pc and an ebook reader besides reading and taking notes?

Last edited by Loose_Appeal; 09-23-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_tr View Post
I am still looking for the perfect ebook reader, unfortunately they all seem to have issues or a lack of features so I'm leaning towards buying a tablet PC.

The most feature rich ebook reader is probably the Irex dr1000s. I like its size, pdf reading capabilities, note taking. It costs in the Netherlands 699.00 Euro

Then there are the compact tablet PC's like

or the less compact

They all have their pros and cons. I am in doubt, and although money is not my biggest concern I might buy the T91 for its price and hope it will do what I want.

Not interested in handwriting recognition, but I do want to anotate pdf's (and preferably other formats as well)
It needs to be as compatible and fast enough for all pdf's (also bigger PDF's based on scans). The less I need to scroll through PDF's the better, so the bigger screen of the HP TX2 and Irex could be very useful.

Still in doubt, so if anyone has suggestions that might help me decide please let me know.
I'm an iRex fan and I LOVE eINK.
But I wouldn't use iRex 1000S for extensive scribbling.
It's relatively slow, lags about 0.5 seconds behind and simply isn't very precise.
Any Tablet PC in that instance will be far superior.
But the reading experience will be totally different.

I've had a Tablet PC from Fujitsu Siemens Computers with outdoor display a few years ago for some days to test.
I've installed MS reader and absolutely was fine with it. Have been reading on Pocket PCs for years as well.

But check out Sony 505 and you'll never go back.
Contrast, clarity, mobility, battery duration, ... are phantastic.
And you can have great readers for € 250, way below competitive Tablet PCs.
In my opinion, it depends on your personal preference: Reading, mobility or scribbling?
If scribbling is a "must", I'd be careful about iRex 1000S or Sony 600. You should check them out before buying.
If reading is your main concern and some scribbling would be nice, each of them is great.
I'd check out iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S, Sony 600 and the announced new iRex unit, as you obviously would like to have a touchscreen unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
tr_tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm an iRex fan and I LOVE eINK.
But I wouldn't use iRex 1000S for extensive scribbling.
It's relatively slow, lags about 0.5 seconds behind and simply isn't very precise.
Any Tablet PC in that instance will be far superior.
But the reading experience will be totally different.

I've had a Tablet PC from Fujitsu Siemens Computers with outdoor display a few years ago for some days to test.
I've installed MS reader and absolutely was fine with it. Have been reading on Pocket PCs for years as well.

But check out Sony 505 and you'll never go back.
Contrast, clarity, mobility, battery duration, ... are phantastic.
And you can have great readers for € 250, way below competitive Tablet PCs.
In my opinion, it depends on your personal preference: Reading, mobility or scribbling?
If scribbling is a "must", I'd be careful about iRex 1000S or Sony 600. You should check them out before buying.
If reading is your main concern and some scribbling would be nice, each of them is great.
I'd check out iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S, Sony 600 and the announced new iRex unit, as you obviously would like to have a touchscreen unit.
Thanks, you really summarized it well. Scribbling is more than a nice thing to have, it is probably the most important feature I am searching for. I'm not planning on reading in the usual way that much, but use the ebook reader/tablet for study and note taking. Most of my ebooks are scanned material right now. To be able to add some comments on pages would be great.

I am not convinced the tablets are any better in scribbling than the ebook readers. In most reviews of tablet pcs this is not discussed.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Well, I tried scribbling on a demo unit PRS-600 at the local Borders and any curves were rendered as jagged approximations made up of straight line segments --- not something I'd be able to tolerate --- perhaps that's specific to a demo unit, but I doubt it.

On the other hand, I've actually written notes w/ a pen into a .pdf (and my handwriting leans to the small side) and sent them off and the recipients have found them perfectly readable.

Drawing &c. work fine as well.

Until the annotations for stylus-equipped ebooks are as effortless and smooth as painting in programs like ArtRage and Sketchbook, or there're notetaking capabilities like to EverNote or PhatPad, Tablet PCs are much better at scribbling.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, you really summarized it well. Scribbling is more than a nice thing to have, it is probably the most important feature I am searching for. I'm not planning on reading in the usual way that much, but use the ebook reader/tablet for study and note taking. Most of my ebooks are scanned material right now. To be able to add some comments on pages would be great.

I am not convinced the tablets are any better in scribbling than the ebook readers. In most reviews of tablet pcs this is not discussed.
You'll probably use a Notebook for studies anyway. I'd buy a convertible then.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Well, I tried scribbling on a demo unit PRS-600 at the local Borders and any curves were rendered as jagged approximations made up of straight line segments --- not something I'd be able to tolerate --- perhaps that's specific to a demo unit, but I doubt it.

On the other hand, I've actually written notes w/ a pen into a .pdf (and my handwriting leans to the small side) and sent them off and the recipients have found them perfectly readable.

Drawing &c. work fine as well.

Until the annotations for stylus-equipped ebooks are as effortless and smooth as painting in programs like ArtRage and Sketchbook, or there're notetaking capabilities like to EverNote or PhatPad, Tablet PCs are much better at scribbling.

William
That's no problem of "demo unit".
They present the original Sony 600 "as is".
iRex (although being Sony fan as well) in my opinion is superior to Sony concerning touchscreen.
iRex has a WACOM tablet, whereas Sony is touch sensitive.
Meaning: You can rest your hand on iRex' display (which is the "natural" writing position) but not on Sony.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

When using for studies, you probably should check for a "search function" as well. Will be a showstoper for many units (iRex for example).
Old 09-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Scribbling is great on Tablet-PCs.
Check out gottabemobile.com there are a'lot of detailed video-reviews (click on "inkshows") that show exactly that and everything else you can do.

Last edited by schmolch; 09-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I second schmolch here.
Go for the tabletpc, it’s what you will be needing and note that besides what you explaining you are getting a full, and my advice, your day to day computer for the future.
One more hint, if you go with a tabletpc wait until they ship with windows 7, you will get amazing performance and outstanding inking results with it.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
tr_tr

Thanks all! You've convinced me I need a tablet PC and not an ebook reader.
Just searched for the word scribbling in google (tried annotating before and didn't result in something useful) and found this cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM34QVH_jRY
screen seems to be pretty responsive

Any comments on these tablets?

My choice would be T91 if I needed to pick one now. It is relatively small and lightweight. Screen could be too small for convenient PDF reading though so I can use some user experience. T91 has most users of the three, and I have seen reports of Linux/Ubuntu running pretty well on it. Linux is my favorite OS DDHarriman, so I would rather avoid any Windows version
Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Im not sure but the netbook-tablets will probably only have a touchscreen and not a wacom-digitizer. This reduces the quality of your handwriting/scribbling greatly, however it might also have reached a good quality meanwhile. I think gottabemobile has a inkshow about the eee.
The TX2 has a pretty bad reputation regarding quality/battery-life/heat but check out gbm's forums to be sure.
I also use Linux, it will not be a problem. Xournal meanwhile annotates pdfs alot better (using poppler) so you will not need any powerfull hardware to do this.

edit: the scribbling on the eee looks actually pretty good on that video
edit: not sure about the size though. i use 2 12" Tablets but they have cost me 2800 €.

Last edited by schmolch; 09-23-2009 at 05:41 PM.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
tr_tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
Im not sure but the netbook-tablets will probably only have a touchscreen and not a wacom-digitizer. This reduces the quality of your handwriting/scribbling greatly, however it might also have reached a good quality meanwhile. I think gottabemobile has a inkshow about the eee.
The TX2 has a pretty bad reputation regarding quality/battery-life/heat but check out gbm's forums to be sure.
I also use Linux, it will not be a problem. Xournal meanwhile annotates pdfs alot better (using poppler) so you will not need any powerfull hardware to do this.

edit: the scribbling on the eee looks actually pretty good on that video
edit: not sure about the size though. i use 2 12" Tablets but they have cost me 2800 €.
I guess your avatar already gave you away Thanks for the info, I have searched for xournal and that seems to be a great scribble tool.
Probably have to go to another forum for a good comparison of the three tables.
Might try gottabemobile..
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
tr_tr

I have just bought the Gigabyte Netbook T1028X, I hope it is a wise decision
Biggest reason for choosing this instead of the asus t91 is its screen and keyboard.
Screen is bigger, I hope that will help with reading high resolution pdfs. Keyboard is better/bigger, so I can use it as a standard laptop as well.

2 youtube links convinced me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1GgWNXMko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIhj7jI8zQ

I will update this post when I received it.