Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
If only they decided to quadruple the battery capacity instead of storage
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
What about a Faster processor .... 32 gb is a Lot of e-books to wade thru, eReaders are so Sllooww
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
OP what are the specs of the new Kobo?
From info awailable at the moment , the only difference will be increased storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
But it seems that it will only be available in the US and Japan... Good thing I don't have many digital manga yet or I might be very disappointed.
Many japanese sellers on ebay offering kobo e-readers, thats where i got my reader as kobo isnt officially available in my country.
So im pretty convinced that it will make its way over the pond pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post
I really want an Aura One for the light, and I could use the extra space (I had to remove the comics from my H2O to keep putting books on it), but the Aura One's expensive enough as it is. I was pretty sure I'd get an Aura One soon, but now I have a dilemma. I'm thinking the space probably isn't worth it, considering my limited funds.
You can always add 32gb sd card for total of 36GB to the H2O, or even opt for also replacing the onboard sd card to a 32gb one, and bump that storage to a total of 64GB(no other ereader offers this atm as far as i know).
For limited funds, the original H2O is best all rounder if you ask me.
Even large format comics text is sharp and readable(true, a bit tinyier than one would want).
But if you read lot of large format comics that tiny text can get on your nerves, and your best option is to go with aura one. The measely 8GB on the current Aura One and new H2O model was for me the only reason i skipped them in favour of the original H2O, as i do read a lot of comic books for the time being.
I considered the storage size more important than the comfort light at the moment i was making my decision, and i dont regret it a bit. But now with the Aura One with 32GB behind the corner, it would be way harder decision, all things considered
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:12 AM   #19
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
You can always add 32gb sd card for total of 36GB to the H2O, or even opt for also replacing the onboard sd card to a 32gb one, and bump that storage to a total of 64GB(no other ereader offers this atm as far as i know).

That is a very good tip thanks!, my funds are indeed limited. I read mangas, would like that to be able to read them in a ereader. The new model with 32 GB is not available for Canadians, a bit strange, since the Kobo company was Canadians at first. But what kind of MicroSD card and brand should be bought for this? I remember when I bought a 16 GB MicroSD for my Kobo Glo, certain brands were recommended, and I made sure to buy a good brand, but I'm not capable to find that link. Thanks!

Edit:

just bought on eBay the Kobo Aura H2O ereader.

Last edited by Nothingness; 11-03-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And what about that one?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-625-_-Product
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 06:45 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

That's what I got in April. I also thought it was the best for the money at the time. I am very happy with it. I have an 8GB SD card in mine. But I don't read PDF or Manga on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #22
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
If only they decided to quadruple the battery capacity instead of storage
That's easy enough by simply giving it a larger battery. Of course the trade-off is a thicker, heavier e-reader.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #23
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Thats an excellent SD card, great read/write speeds
Also it has great random read/write speeds which would be beneficial if you would ever consider using it as a system sd by replacing the onboard 4GB one, and i suppose(not 100% sure how kobo acesses collections) faster loading of large collections.
You could also go for the newer EVO Plus model, which has similar write speeds(maybe a bit lower than evo) but noticeably faster read speed.Difference in price should be negligable, except if you get it from newegg which have it listed for 70$+

There are many fakes going around.Like 12$ for 32GB EVO Plus on ebay, which most probably isnt the real deal.So skip offers like that, unless you like to gamble and feel lucky .
There are some chinese sellers claiming 100% genuine for around 17$, but i would also take that with a grain of salt.
So try to get it from a trusted/reputable source.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Good Brand capable of faster read write speeds than Kobo H2O reader? Could also install larger internal uSD card. I should buy Kobo H2O while they are available because I like external SD card option.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:59 AM   #25
Nothingness
Zealot

Thanks for the answers, I bought it. And I don't know how to replace the onboard memory of 4 GB. Is there a walkthrough somewhere?

Last edited by Nothingness; 11-04-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:24 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Thanks for the answers, I bought it. And I don't know how to replace the onboard memory of 4 GB. Is there a walkthrough somewhere?
I normally point to Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. The instructions are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same. But, you might want to do a search for opening the Aura H2O (I think that's what you bought) as it is a little different from the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #27
lambstone
Enthusiast
lambstone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
even opt for also replacing the onboard sd card to a 32gb one
Wouldn't that screw up the water seal?

I would have thought the best idea would be to add a 128gb micro sd card instead of replacing the onboard sd card.
lambstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone View Post

I would have thought the best idea would be to add a 128gb micro sd card instead of replacing the onboard sd card.
Yes, and I agree. Though I only have an 8GB card in mine. I have experience in opening the original Kobo Glo to install a larger card, and they never did work 100% right after that (the slider no longer functioned). I wouldn't open another one, except the Mini, which is pretty easy. Mine has a 16GB internal card.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, and I agree. Though I only have an 8GB card in mine. I have experience in opening the original Kobo Glo to install a larger card, and they never did work 100% right after that (the slider no longer functioned). I wouldn't open another one, except the Mini, which is pretty easy. Mine has a 16GB internal card.
But, there are plenty of people who have opened these devices and had no issues afterwards. But, getting the switch lined up properly for the Glo is a little tricky. I've had mine apart four times. The first time was to restore the image and the third time was to replace the card. The second and fourth times were five minutes after the other times to get the switch in the right place. But, it worked perfectly afterwards.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #30
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone View Post

obvious common sense ideas are not Kobo's forte these days.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote