Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
That is what I meant also. That is what my phrase mirror image of default settings means..
an option that means a tap anywhere along the left edge of the screen flips to next page, and a tap anywhere along the right edge flips back a page..
Okay, so there is a way to change the Kobo to be the opposite of the selection below? So the arrows (on both sides) point in instead of out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nomirror.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	166801  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #47
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
FWIW, my advice would be to go with the Kindle. Kobo's lost me as a loyal customer after being with them since they started selling e-readers.

I'm a Kobo to Kindle convert. I have had three Kobos; needing a repair I got a several-month absolute horrendous runaround in which Kobo kept telling me I needed to buy a new machine, until the time for the warranty ran out and they denied my claim to get it fixed; according to customer service, they no longer repair, even if under warranty. I gave up and bought a used Kindle off Facebook marketplace (the 2014 model). It converted me ... library books get sent automatically through Amazon to the device, I got a 3-month trial of Kindle Unlimited which has been great. We then went and bought a paperwhite since reading in the dark was something we missed. It's so easy to put multiple devices on a family account and choose what to download or which device to send something to. Sideloading can happen through email, too. It's so much easier not having to connect it to a computer for these tasks.

The readers themselves feel about the same -- same quality, same feel in the hands. We always use cases, so I can't speak to any device taking great knocks.

So yeah, after the sudden downturn in Kobo customer service now that it's provided by Walmart, and the much easier integrations of the Kindle, I don't see us going back to Kobo. It's too bad, we enjoyed them from the beginning, but they're not the company they used to be and pushed us away.
Wouldn't it be much easier to return a Kobo now that you can buy one from Walmart U.S. ? With a 15 day return window that would be the same as buying from Best Buy. Only Best Buy doesn't have Kobos.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sure but it's the principle of the thing, the cost of adding a proper lefty mode is surely minimal.
Kobo has more options but no true left handed one I think .i.e. no mirror image of the default settings
For my uses, there is no difference whether I hold my Kobo in my right or left hand. I have them set to page forward/back on swipe only so a right to left swipe pages forward and a left to right swipe pages backwards regardless of where on the screen I swipe.

For now, I'm waiting for the Forma to show up at Chapters/Indigo so I can decide if the 32GB version makes it to my Christmas list. Rumour has it that when you rotate the Forma so the page turn buttons are on the left, the tap zones are also reversed but since very few posters on MobileRead have a Forma to play with (Hi, Nate!), it's one of those rumours I will take with a tablespoon of salt at this time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So yeah, after the sudden downturn in Kobo customer service now that it's provided by Walmart, and the much easier integrations of the Kindle, I don't see us going back to Kobo. It's too bad, we enjoyed them from the beginning, but they're not the company they used to be and pushed us away.
How is Kobo customer service now supplied by Walmart? If you purchased your Kobo from Walmart, they are responsible for customer service on those for a limited period. From various posts, they have been responsive to return/exchange requests. If you purchase from Kobo directly or a retailer other than Walmart USA, Walmart has nothing to do with the customer service.

Quote:
library books get sent automatically through Amazon to the device
I really do wish that Kindle users would stop making that claim as if it applied to everyone and everywhere. Where I live, the local libraries support epub format (well, and a very small number of older PDF ebooks) and my KA1 and Clara HD Kobo ereaders can do loans directly from the device with no computer involved. Even if I place a book on hold from my computer, when it becomes available, it auto-magically syncs to all my Kobos. Admittedly, this is only in the countries where Kobo/Overdrive have implemented this functionality. In the USA, this would cover ~90% of the public libraries. If you live in Georgia, at the majority of public libraries you will run into GADD powered by RBDigital which only supports audio and epub, preferably using the RBDigital app. This brought to you courtesy of one of my overly numerous collection of relatives.

As for Kindle? Hmmm... download the ebook using ADE, strip the DRM, import into Calibre, convert to AZW3 or mobi format and send to your Kindle either directly or using the right ebook format, email. This is the user experience outside the USA and in the USA for libraries that do not support Kindle format loans.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #50
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Wouldn't it be much easier to return a Kobo now that you can buy one from Walmart U.S. ? With a 15 day return window that would be the same as buying from Best Buy. Only Best Buy doesn't have Kobos.
Not if you didn’t buy it from Walmart. Mine was direct from Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How is Kobo customer service now supplied by Walmart? If you purchased your Kobo from Walmart, they are responsible for customer service on those for a limited period. From various posts, they have been responsive to return/exchange requests. If you purchase from Kobo directly or a retailer other than Walmart USA, Walmart has nothing to do with the customer service.

I really do wish that Kindle users would stop making that claim as if it applied to everyone and everywhere. Where I live, the local libraries support epub format (well, and a very small number of older PDF ebooks) and my KA1 and Clara HD Kobo ereaders can do loans directly from the device with no computer involved. Even if I place a book on hold from my computer, when it becomes available, it auto-magically syncs to all my Kobos. Admittedly, this is only in the countries where Kobo/Overdrive have implemented this functionality. In the USA, this would cover ~90% of the public libraries. If you live in Georgia, at the majority of public libraries you will run into GADD powered by RBDigital which only supports audio and epub, preferably using the RBDigital app. This brought to you courtesy of one of my overly numerous collection of relatives.

As for Kindle? Hmmm... download the ebook using ADE, strip the DRM, import into Calibre, convert to AZW3 or mobi format and send to your Kindle either directly or using the right ebook format, email. This is the user experience outside the USA and in the USA for libraries that do not support Kindle format loans.

I contacted Kobo customer service through their website. Three separate times. The second and third attempts were answered by people who had Walmart/Rakuten signatures. The last one definitely kept trying to send me to my local Walmart to buy a new reader rather than fix the current one.

I borrow from libraries in both the US and U.K. they all support kindle or ePub, you just choose which you want. Choosing Kindle sends you to Amazon where it sends your library book direct to device and removes it when the lend is finished. I can’t guarantee all libraries do that, but the four library systems I borrow from all do.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #51
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hi Atunah--

Here's a picture of what my Kobo looks like with the margins and the line height both set to the smallest they can go without patching. Picture

This is without any fiddling or tweaking.

Note also that I have set my kobo so that the books are left aligned. I know that some people don't like it, but I do. It's easy to change that so that books show fully justified.

Shari
Glad you mentioned about the left aligned, cause that is horrific to me. . Must be justified for me. That space is a bit much, but not as bad as I feared. Assuming it would be the same for any file no matter where it came from. Library, converted, etc. Its a wee bit waste of space, but doable.
Thanks for showing me. It does help to actually see what is talked about.

Can one put more than one library on the device? I have 3. I might see if I can find a Kobo locally. Still looking, none of the walmarts have them. I think it wold be great for my husband for library books. Right now we keep moving his kindle from my account to his account. I have the libraries, he doesn't. He buys and gets free books on his own amazon account. But it annoys him not to be able to browse the libraries at will and me having to send the books then read them and switch accounts again. He can never remember all the sign ins to the libraries.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #52
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@Atunah: Can't you link both your accounts together as a family, keep his Kindle on your account, and he should be able to read all purchased books from his account and the loans from yours. At least how I understand it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #53
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
@Atunah: Can't you link both your accounts together as a family, keep his Kindle on your account, and he should be able to read all purchased books from his account and the loans from yours. At least how I understand it.
only if you want to share full use of your payment card(s), for all of amazon. that's a pre-requisite for family book sharing
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #54
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
only if you want to share full use of your payment card(s), for all of amazon. that's a pre-requisite for family book sharing
That is hardly a problem, unless they are married only on paper without real trust. I have to assume they are married because they want to be.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 AM   #55
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is hardly a problem, unless they are married only on paper without real trust. I have to assume they are married because they want to be.
my need was to share occasional books with my daughter, in a different house in a different city. I don't want to have to share all my payment details to do that, not that i don't trust her but it is / should be un-necessary, and it becomes something else to have to fix if ever her device is lost or stolen

as an example of how it could be done, I have a share of her google play music family subscription and they get to share my paid for google apps placed in family library. no sharing of payment details was needed to set that up. It's not perfect, I cannot see their playlists and vice versa, but it is better than amazon's attempts.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #56
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
as an example of how it could be done, I have a share of her google play music family subscription and they get to share my paid for google apps placed in family library. no sharing of payment details was needed to set that up. It's not perfect, I cannot see their playlists and vice versa, but it is better than amazon's attempts.
So, Google does it better than Amazon. How about Kobo? Far as I know they don't do it at all. What Amazon does is useful for a household, add in child accounts and parental locks, and it will suit most use cases.

Btw, all my Kindles are parental locked. It prevents resetting the device by accident or on purpose.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 AM   #57
stumped
Wizard

Everybody but kobo has jumped on the digital family subscription idea, Spotify. Apple, Google, Amazon...

But the thought of a "kobo quality" implementation is scary. Probably safer to diy it with the relevent de DRM tools. Even their simple library loan idea seems bogged down in having to have the correct flavour of Adobe id,and having to do things in a certain sequence, though Adobe probably deserves some of the blame for lack of compatibility across all their versions

Paper books have always been a natural " friends and family share" , more so than music. The limitation that there can only be one reader at a time is not a problem. Others bad habits of dog earing pages and spine bending was probably the most off putting factor of book sharing
Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 AM   #58
stumped
Wizard

[QUOTE=Duckie..

Btw, all my Kindles are parental locked. It prevents resetting the device by accident or on purpose.[/QUOTE]

We parent lock kindles for store purchases, as we have no need to shop from device.
I forgot a password once though and it was as nightmare to unlock even with Amazon's help. They have some secret backdoor code unlock tricks but getting them to work...

As this is a comparisons thread, what locks, controls does kobo offer?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:53 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
but it is a copycat of oasis 2 which many amazon customer reviews say is not comfortable for one handed use - too heavy/too slippery. i would be wary of pre ordering the forma until there are lots of reviews
the oasis 2 reviews 1 star to 5 star distribution at amazon uk is not good and as I say it is much critisized for comfort. forma may avoid the specific criticism of frame being cold metal though
there seem to be 3 common complaints re oasis 2: battery life, comfort, and compatibility issues with audible purchases. audible will be n/a for kobo?
The Forma is not slippery. Besides, those people trying to use the Oasis 2 without a case would actually find it easier to hold if they had a case. I find a case macks a Reader much easier to hold. The Oasis 2 is not too heavy. Those are just whiners complaining for nothing. My H2O is heavier than the Oasis 2 or Forma and I have no trouble using it one handed. I find the idea of trying to make new devices lighter and thinner do so at the ability to hold it. For example, the iPhone is too thin to hold easily without a case on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I borrow from libraries in both the US and U.K. they all support kindle or ePub, you just choose which you want. Choosing Kindle sends you to Amazon where it sends your library book direct to device and removes it when the lend is finished. I can’t guarantee all libraries do that, but the four library systems I borrow from all do.
I think you might have gotten lucky with the UK libraries you have tried.

Of the two I have access to, one uses cloudLibrary by Bibliotheca, which doesn't support Kindle ("cloudLibrary is currently not compatible with Kindle Paperwhites or the Kindle Apps. If you would like to read eBooks on your Kindle please email kindle-feedback@amazon.com and request that Amazon allow compatibility with cloudLibrary").

The other uses OverDrive, which doesn't support Kindle in the UK ("Note: Kindle Books are currently available for U.S. libraries only.")

Amusingly, Amazon UK's help pages have an entry for "Borrow Books from a Public Library". It is empty.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200747550

While you may find individual libraries that do work, the safest assumption for the UK would be that you cannot borrow books on a Kindle.

One thing to think about though is Kindle Unlimited. If you don't mind paying the £8 per month, you may find it a better service than the public libraries. Obviously you don't have access to all the books that the public library does, but you also never have to go on a waitlist for a book, and the total number of books available is orders of magnitude higher.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-09-2018 at 06:31 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, compare, ereader, fast, kobo