Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #241
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Hmmm. Found £3.00 credit in my Kobo account but whether it's the settlement or an attempt to get me using Kobo I'm not sure. I've only ever purchased 11 books from them (3 in 2013, the rest earlier this year). The only reason I have an account is because I used to use a Kobo Touch (now retired because of firmware issues), and I purchased books not available (or cheaper than) on Amazon.

The problem now is which titles to spend this credit on.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #242
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Odd, in addition to the Amazon credit I mentioned earlier, I just got a check for $28.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #243
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Hmmm. Found £3.00 credit in my Kobo account but whether it's the settlement or an attempt to get me using Kobo I'm not sure. I've only ever purchased 11 books from them (3 in 2013, the rest earlier this year). The only reason I have an account is because I used to use a Kobo Touch (now retired because of firmware issues), and I purchased books not available (or cheaper than) on Amazon.

The problem now is which titles to spend this credit on.
OK, nothing to do with the settlement - it's just some promotional credit which expires next weekend.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #244
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I received 4 checks today.

Most from closed stores (Sony, Borders, ARe), the other for books I purchased directly from Penguin.

I've adjusted my book buying habits, but on days like today I do miss the glory days of Fictionwise (100% micropay!) and having so many more ebook sellers to choose from.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #245
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I received 4 checks today.

Most from closed stores (Sony, Borders, ARe), the other for books I purchased directly from Penguin.

I've adjusted my book buying habits, but on days like today I do miss the glory days of Fictionwise (100% micropay!) and having so many more ebook sellers to choose from.
Apple and the price fix six screwed the little guys who had a very nice way of doing business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #246
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
$50.35 in my Amazon account
Another $12.40 in my account now.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #247
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple and the price fix six screwed the little guys who had a very nice way of doing business.
The timeline doesn't support that narrative. A good portion of the little guys had already gone belly up before Apple entered the ebook business. When Apple was looking to come into the ebook store business, Amazon had 80% of the ebook market in the US, so if you want to point fingers, point them there. Pretty hard to run someone out of the market when you aren't even in the market and just as hard to run people out of business when you have less that 20 percent of the market at your peak.

The bottom line is that Amazon was very aggressive in the ebook market at that point, investing in an infrastructure that no one else in the business was close to matching. They were aggressively selling name ebooks under cost to capture market share. That, in addition to creating an infrastructure that made it very easy to buy ebooks and have them automatically download on the the kindle readers even if you didn't have wifi (their whispernet), and building the biggest inventory of ebooks by far was very hard to beat.

Apple probably had the cash and marketing muscle to compete with them, but the anti-trust suit made them decide that the fix was in and it just wasn't worth the effort, thus there is little competition. The fact that Amazon quickly caved on agency pricing after the competition had dried up, showed that it was all about market share. Lack of competition is a bad thing for the consumer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #248
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I was excited to get a credit only to find my bride had used it unknowingly on another purchase! It looks like it doesn't apply to just ebooks.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #249
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The timeline doesn't support that narrative.
That is BS and you know it. Shops like Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard were doing well before Agency. After Agency came into being and they had to renegotiate their business models had to be changed and those business modes were what made them stand out from the likes of Amazon. Lots of MR users shopped at these stores. There is no way they were going under before Agency.

Yes, some stores did go under and it was not from Agency. PaperBackDigital was one such store. But they only sold Mobipocket format eBooks and that was not sustainable with MS Reader and ePub.

So please spare us this "Agency wasn't as fault" because it most surely was at fault.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I was excited to get a credit only to find my bride had used it unknowingly on another purchase! It looks like it doesn't apply to just ebooks.
You should NEVER let her buy stuff with your account. She should have her own account. My wife has her own account and I would never use any credit she had on her account.

You should to make your bride get her own account and return whatever it was she blew your credit on. You can't let her keep stealing your money.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #251
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should NEVER let her buy stuff with your account. She should have her own account. My wife has her own account and I would never use any credit she had on her account.

You should to make your bride get her own account and return whatever it was she blew your credit on. You can't let her keep stealing your money.
Hmmm...my husband and I do have our own accounts, but that's just because he buys a lot of things for his work on his account, and I buy things for work on my account. (and for Christmas presents ) However, the personal credit cards on the accounts are the same, and neither one of us considers it "stealing" to do so. If you think that your wife is "stealing" from you when she makes a purchase that uses "your money", then maybe you need to re-consider what marriage means.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #252
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think Jon was joking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #253
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think Jon was joking.
Or he's met my ex.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #254
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Jon, were you joking?

I'm guessing he isn't.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #255
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Or he's met my ex.
Or my ex.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote