Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
best Windows OS for Pentium II laptop?

I know this is a little random, but does anyone have an opinion about what OS I should put on an old PII laptop, 98 or NT? I just received a hand-me-down laptop that still works great. I'm going to let me wife use it to surf and do some basic work wirelessly and wonder whether 98 would be better for drivers (for the wireless networking) and such, or whether the inherent strength and stability of NT would be more appropriate.

Any opinions to help guide me in this?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think it depends on the available memory. If you can fit the notebook with at least 256Mb Ram, Windows 2000 might work even. I wouldn't go with Windows NT anymore, since, as you mentioned yourself, you will probably run into driver troubles. On the other hand, I am not fond of any Windows 9x-based system... so again, if you can, go with Windows 2000. --- Or try one of the free alternatives like Linux or Freebsd :P
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that I have 164 on it now. Currently having a hard time with the hard drive, may be broken, so it may not matter much. Would love to go 2000 as I also despise the 9x series. And yah, been researching the wireless and I don't see any I like that support NT. Would love more to go Linux, but this will be mostly for my wife, and she's used to Windows and not too interested in a change. I'll have a look at reqs for 2000 if I can get this damn thing to work. Not even sure where the HD is! It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro, and I think the HD is buried inside, not easily accessible from the exterior. Have to open the whole sucker up! Thanks Alex, I'll let you know what I do...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic

This poor old thing cannot handle more than 160 Megs of RAM, which is what it has now. Evidently the hard drive problems were just caused by a loose connection, because once I removed it and reinserted it, it started up just fine. It is running 2000 now! Long boot, but seems functional, and fast enough for a PII. However, the HD is only 2 gigs, and is pretty full... Looks like a project here!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Unregistered
Nameless Being

JAYMAN!

Jst a thought here..Why not go with Windows ME? Unless you plan to upgrade the hard drive from 2gb to 30 or 40+ gb.

JAYMAN
Advert
Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
I still use my old PII for some games and agree that windows ME ended up being my best choice.
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
ignatz
mechanoholic

That's good to know; I would never have thought of it. I'll give it a try. I was working with Linux but I'm too much of a newb at it. Rather stick to what I know for now.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don´t forget to use a disk backup tool to make an disk image to a restore dvd.

It's real handy to be able to install windows and all my goodies in 15 minutes
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote