Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Polish puts the "book jacket" in a file called 'jacket.xhtml', immediately after the cover page ('titlepage.xhtml') - I prefer to have it at the back of the book, which is easily done with the editor - just drag it there in the file list.

Suggestion, instead of appending your review to the Comments column, where it could get overwritten by a subsequent metadata download, add a custom column.
Note, if adding review as a custom column, the template for the jacket would need to be modified to add the review. Either that or append the review to comments before running polish.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
Thanks,
At least the book file will be named the same and the body of the book will be unchanged (only the comments) so maybe?
It really depends on what changes were in the book. If it was a simple spelling fix, or change to a stylesheet, then any existing annotations will probably work. But, if the changes were more extensive, such as reorganising the internal file structure of the book, then the location references the bookmarks are using have probably change. Automatically fixing those would be a nightmare.
Quote:
I'll have to look into what "free format book description" is and where it's located (couldn't find anything with a quick search). I'm going to use Bookari (with epub) as it seems for me to be the best option with all it's features. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions as well. All i really want is for one or two lines of text to be inserted into the epub file (comments), that's all....so they will be part of the epub file and travel with the book (to make it easy when i have to move to a new device, and also automatically readable in both Calibre and Bookari). Thanks again for your time with this, i'll do some more research and post back should i find a solution...or have more questions!
A possibility is the Annotations Plugin. This supports fetching annotations from a device or app into a column in calibre. It formats them with some location information from the device, and can merge annotations from different sources. At the moment it supports Kindles, Kobo's and I'm adding tolino. It also can import from the Goodreader app (a fairly clumsy method). Other apps and devices can be added if the annotations can be seen or exported to a file somehow. It doesn't support sending the annotations back to the device/app, but, if you want to add them to the jacket as others have suggested, you can.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, if adding review as a custom column, the template for the jacket would need to be modified to add the review.

Which raises the question, how does one plug a column into the jacket and use its already embedded HTML tags?

If I put "blah blah" into the aforementioned #review/Review column, and code <div>{_review}</div> in the jacket template , I get <p>blah blah</p> displayed in the jacket - which is the HTML in the Review cell

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-27-2018 at 12:04 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Which raises the question, how does one plug a column into the jacket and use its already embedded HTML tags?

If I put "blah blah" into the aforementioned #review/Review column, and code <div>{_review}</div> in the jacket template , I get <p>blah blah</p> displayed in the jacket - which is the HTML in the Review cell
Good question. I suspect this would be an enhancement/feature request for Kovid.

To be honest, I'm too lazy to create templates for my different libraries so I've always just done Bulk metadata edit - Search and replace (with saved searches) to get my comments looking the way I want them prior to polishing or conversion. Granted, I do have separate #summary and #notes custom columns.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
update: what i have mistakenly called "free format description" is the area called Comments which appears on the calibre edit metadata screen and in the right hand book details pane.
that Comments box accepts free text or html input
often , the text looks to have been written by the publisher - I never really thought about how/where calibre gets it
i guessed ( maybe not accurately) that whatever is there is used by plug ins to create the "jacket" page
i think it also appears as book detail in calibre companion and in the various apps' book details
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:22 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know, HTMl in custom columns is directly inserted into the jacket, just as it is for comments 9although IIRC the comments HTML is sanitized first)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid - Comments as displayed in jackets honour the mark up for bold, italics, underline, text colors, indent, centre etc, even embedded images. It seems to be the same as what you see in Book Details.

IMO Long text columns containing HTML ought be given the same treatment.

BR
Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I'm saying they should aready be doing that, are you saying they aren't?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind, they were being escaped, this should take care of it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...dd5e1a982216a2
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Lock 'em up

tks BR
Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Lock 'em up

tks BR
All fixed ✔️

FWIW this what the tail of my test jacket looks like

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	166531