Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
Thinking of buying a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2 ... looking for insight from Kobo owners

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2 because I like the bigger than 6" screen and the idea of the ComfortLight option.

Here are my concerns:

1.) I've never owned an e-ink e-reader before.

2.) I have to buy it from Amazon via a seller there who is selling new but I contacted Kobo and they said they will not honor their 1-year warranty.

3.) Seems a lot of people are having problems with this model Kobo, specifically when it comes to connecting it to a Windows 10 computer (I see what seems like a lot of complaints about this model not always wanting to connect)

Point 1 is just there for reference. Point 2 and 3 are what really worry me. As for no warranty, the seller does say they will accept defective units within 30 days and give a full refund. I know I know I should buy it directly from Kobo but I have $200 in Amazon Gift Card money and I'm otherwise a poor bastard lol

My other option is the Kindle Oasis 2 (again for the bigger screen) but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money (and I really like the idea of the ComfortLight on the Kobo).

I guess I'm looking for people who own this particular Kobo who are ready to truthfully say: It's fine and works A-OK for me (assuming that IS the case).

Also I considered going with the cheaper Kindle Paperwhite 4 or the Kobo Clara HD but after looking at the Paperwhite 4 and Oasis 2 at Best Buy I'm convinced I need something larger than a 6" screen. The main reason I want an e-ink e-reader is because I need a larger sized font and the 6" Paperwhite 4 seemed very cramped when I was testing it (I seemed to enjoy Font Size 8 but it was very cramped on the Paperwhite 4).

Also what pitfalls do I need to know when it comes to Kobo?
For instance, should I always convert epub to kepub with something like Kepubify? If I buy a book from Amazon will it convert well to epub or kepub or it is better to buy a Kindle e-ink e-reader and convert epub to AZW? You know things like that lol

I know I'm probably asking too much but any help is appreciated!

P.S.
I've been reading through the forums here trying to get a grip on these things and it is a very nice place with a lot of info. I guess I'm saying THANK YOU for this community!

- John 'FulciLives' Coleman
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Kindle and a Kobo. I do prefer the Kindle but I like the Kobo well enough.

They haven't made the H2O for a while so my guess is that the reason Kobo won't honor the warranty is that they don't consider it new. Fortunately Amazon has a 30 day return policy and you can get a Square Trade warranty if you feel the need. They're very reliable.

I'm pretty sure the Oasis does have something comparable to the comfort light but with a different name. I've never actually used an Oasis so I can't be sure. I have a Paperwhite which has mostly the same interface as the Oasis but a 6" screen. It doesn't have the adjustable color in the light, just adjustable brightness.

I do have a Nook with adjustable color and when I got it I added just a tiny bit of orange since that was easy to do. I've never changed that. I personally don't see any need for that feature. I read before going to sleep all the time and I sleep very well.

I have helped a friend set up his H2O and I read a bit with it while I was checking it out. It's a nice device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
There are no Kindles currently on sale that have something similar to the Kobo's ComfortLight (i.e color-changing frontlight). The Oasis 2 does have the option to invert the screen natively though, IIRC, which is something you can only get on a Kobo with a specific patch.

I own several Kobo ereaders - though not this model - and I've never had any problem in connecting them to my Windows 10 laptops. Keep in mind that Mobileread is a very small community compared to the amount of people that own Kobo ereaders in real life and never have problems with them. This is not to say that there isn't a problem, but that problems reported here are not necessarily the norm.

As for the rest of it, the epub vs kepub issue is complicated I'm pretty sure the field is evenly divided over at the Kobo subforum. In general both work well if you don't have any specific requirements. Fonts in EPUBs look better due to the fact that the KEPUB renderer doesn't support ligatures; KEPUBs have better support for pictures and footnotes. Anyway, there's a Calibre plugin that can be setup to convert EPUBs to KEPUBs while sending them to your device, so it's a relatively painless process.
Converting from azw3 to epub and viceversa is relatively painless as well, but it will require DRM removal.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I apologize then. I thought the Oasis let you adjust the color.

Barry
Old 04-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Definitely get the ereader you like the most, and then use the Calibre app--which you can get a lot of help with here on the forum--to convert your ebooks to whatever format you need.

It's good that you've tried a few readers hands on; knowing you prefer a larger screen size is really helpful. In the dedicated e-ink reader world, that narrows it down pretty quickly to a handful of good choices: the H20 you are considering, an Oasis, or a Kobo Forma. There are a few others but not that I could recommend.

IMO there are two nice things about Kobo devices: they are flexible in handling more ebook formats (which can save you an extra conversion step when buying ebooks), and they are built on the Linux OS, so they are easier to customize and install 3rd party apps. In comparison, the Kindle devices to me, seem to have a bit more refined software, hardware, features. You really will be ok with any of these devices though.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2 because I like the bigger than 6" screen and the idea of the ComfortLight option.

Here are my concerns:

1.) I've never owned an e-ink e-reader before.

2.) I have to buy it from Amazon via a seller there who is selling new but I contacted Kobo and they said they will not honor their 1-year warranty.
Why do you have to buy it from Amazon through a third party seller? Walmart (Kobo's US partner) has it listed at $180. Then you can return it to the store if you don't like it and should have the 1 year warranty.

I just bought a Clara from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Ordered Wednesday, delivered Thursday. Very happy with it.

Quote:
3.) Seems a lot of people are having problems with this model Kobo, specifically when it comes to connecting it to a Windows 10 computer (I see what seems like a lot of complaints about this model not always wanting to connect)
Check the Kobo forums. I honestly don't remember hearing problems about the H20 Edition 2. It seems pretty rock-solid (though to be fair, I pay more attention to the Clara).

Quote:
I know I know I should buy it directly from Kobo but I have $200 in Amazon Gift Card money and I'm otherwise a poor bastard lol
Well, I guess that answers why you wouldn't buy from Walmart.

Quote:
My other option is the Kindle Oasis 2 (again for the bigger screen) but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money (and I really like the idea of the ComfortLight on the Kobo).
I haven't used an Oasis 2. I've owned Nooks and Kobos and have only really played around a bit with relatives Kindles. Kobo's software is preferable to me. Things like being able to display the series in your library are just nice extras.

But Kindles are nice readers too. They have a better dictionary, which matters to some readers. X-Ray seems like a nice feature if you're reading a book with tons of characters.

But the Oasis won't have the color changing light the H2O has.

Quote:
I guess I'm looking for people who own this particular Kobo who are ready to truthfully say: It's fine and works A-OK for me (assuming that IS the case).

Also I considered going with the cheaper Kindle Paperwhite 4 or the Kobo Clara HD but after looking at the Paperwhite 4 and Oasis 2 at Best Buy I'm convinced I need something larger than a 6" screen. The main reason I want an e-ink e-reader is because I need a larger sized font and the 6" Paperwhite 4 seemed very cramped when I was testing it (I seemed to enjoy Font Size 8 but it was very cramped on the Paperwhite 4).
I've owned two Kobos (the Aura and the Clara HD). I bought my Aura refurbished five years ago and it still works fine. It even still receives software updates. I just replaced it because I wanted the screen upgrade, really. I'll be giving my Aura to a relative and have no reason to suspect it will fail any time soon.

Having said that, I don't own an H2O (1 or 2). I just don't want a larger than 6" screen.

Quote:
For instance, should I always convert epub to kepub with something like Kepubify? If I buy a book from Amazon will it convert well to epub or kepub or it is better to buy a Kindle e-ink e-reader and convert epub to AZW? You know things like that lol
Reading about formats and thngs can get overwhelming when you don't own an ereader. You don't know what matters and what is just esoteric talking.

If you want to start the process, I'd say download an older version of Kindle for PC, Calibre and the Alf plug-ins. Install everything and try importing your books purchased from Amazon into Calibre. You can do this before you buy an ereader.

I use the Calibre Kobo Touch Extended plug-in. I have ePubs on my PC and when I tell Caliber to send them to my Kobo it converts them as they're sent. No muss, no fuss.

Quote:
John 'FulciLives' Coleman
I like Italian horror, but I don't feel the Fulci love So you may not want to trust anything I have to say

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-27-2019 at 04:22 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
They haven't made the H2O for a while so my guess is that the reason Kobo won't honor the warranty is that they don't consider it new.

Barry
Barry, the H2O Edition 2 is the replacement for the original H2O. It's a current device still made by Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Speaking of Kobo ereaders, I have a chance to purchase a Kobo Aura One that is new.
Would it be worthwhile to buy it now since it is not currently sold or supported by Kobo?
I like the size, backlighting, and that it can borrow and download books from the library directly. I especially like the size. So is it a good idea to purchase it now?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry, the H2O Edition 2 is the replacement for the original H2O. It's a current device still made by Kobo.
Thanks. I must have missed hearing about that one.

Barry
Old 04-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Speaking of Kobo ereaders, I have a chance to purchase a Kobo Aura One that is new.
Would it be worthwhile to buy it now since it is not currently sold or supported by Kobo?
I like the size, backlighting, and that it can borrow and download books from the library directly. I especially like the size. So is it a good idea to purchase it now?
Kaysclie--I have an Aura One and love it! I've had it for about two years now. It's a great reader. I love the screen size. I personally don't really use the comfort light feature, I adjusted it a few times when I first got my reader, but have left it alone since then--just adjust the brightness up and down depending on where I'm at.

I say go for it!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I love mine. And despite peeking at the Forma, I've not got upgrade fever yet.

Quote:
None of this is any sort of dealbreaker at the moment (unless Amazon hardens their DRM further, in which case just purchase elsewhere). I buy from Amazon quite a bit. Install the appropriate DeDRM software, throw everything in Calibre immediately after purchase, and the rest you can choose on the fly based on your own personal preferences. Kepub's a bit better with things like highlighting; others prefer epub features.

My biggest concern would be the lack of warranty. Are there no other essentials you or someone you know needs from Amazon that you could use the gift cards on? A lifetime supply of toilet paper?

As for connection issues, I don't use Windows. Lots of connection issues seem to be solved by using a different cable. Not all are data cables, and sometimes cables go bad. I did have connection issues a long while back, caused by a bodgy USB port. Again, easily solved. And while you're troubleshooting, you can always get books on wirelessly using Calibre Content Server.

Last edited by meeera; 04-28-2019 at 12:13 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #12
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
I've watched several KOBO reviews on YouTube and some of them have mentioned that the header and footer are NOT available on side loaded books but I actually like the look of the header and footer so I was wondering... do you get it if you convert the side loaded book into kepub format?
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:40 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I've watched several KOBO reviews on YouTube and some of them have mentioned that the header and footer are NOT available on side loaded books but I actually like the look of the header and footer so I was wondering... do you get it if you convert the side loaded book into kepub format?
There is a footer on epubs, a header and footer on kepubs. Unfortunately, a lot of video reviewers are woefully ignorant about the products they are looking at.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You are probably looking at old reviews, or, as @meeera said, reviewers who don't actually know how to use the products they are reviewing.

In older firmware, kepubs, whether sideloaded or purchased from Kobo, had a footer and a header. Sideloaded epubs had only the footer. More recent firmware has options to display/hide either of them for both formats.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Kaysclie--I have an Aura One and love it! I've had it for about two years now. It's a great reader. I love the screen size. I personally don't really use the comfort light feature, I adjusted it a few times when I first got my reader, but have left it alone since then--just adjust the brightness up and down depending on where I'm at.

I say go for it!
Thanks for your reply dordale . I hate to ask, but how high a $$ amount do you think I should reasonable offer for a new Aura One? I am trying to maintain some good judgement about this.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote