Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Jafofubar
Jafofubar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Calibre Locks Up

Hello,
I have a Kobo Aura Second Edition. Thank you to Kovid and all the Calibre developers. I am having trouble using Calibre lately. It used to work perfectly. Now when I connect my Kobo it almost always comes up with an error saying Error Communicating With Device. At first (over a period of months) it just seemed to go slower and slower and now it won't communicate with my Kobo at all. I rebuilt my Kobo from factory defaults and uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre but still get the same thing. Calibre will open ok. When I click on the Preferences button, Calibre locks up and the only way for me to do anything with it after that, including closing it, is to go into Task Manager and "end task". Windows sees the Kobo fine. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with Calibre 64bit installed. Calibre does say "Connected to Kobo Aura Edition 2. The "Jobs" icon keeps spinning until after a long while and error comes up saying Error Comminicating with Device. I can't close that error box and I can't click on Details. All I can do is open task manager and End Task.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going wrong?
Thanks!
Jafofubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is it Really locked up or is the focus NOW off screen.
That can happen, when you close calibre with 2 monitors and then take one away.

1)easy, connect the 2nd monitor, then move preferences and config dialogs to the main screen before exiting

2)harder. Rename(just in case it does not work) the (hidden) Calibre Configuration folder
Code:
C:\Users\<your logonname>\AppData\Roaming\calibre
Calibre will rebuild THE FACTORY DEFAULT. You lose your settings and plugins
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Jafofubar
Jafofubar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is it Really locked up or is the focus NOW off screen.
That can happen, when you close calibre with 2 monitors and then take one away.

1)easy, connect the 2nd monitor, then move preferences and config dialogs to the main screen before exiting

2)harder. Rename(just in case it does not work) the (hidden) Calibre Configuration folder
Code:
C:\Users\<your logonname>\AppData\Roaming\calibre
Calibre will rebuild THE FACTORY DEFAULT. You lose your settings and plugins
Thanks for your response. Yes, it was locked up. When I reinstalled Calibre, all the settings were still there so I wondered about hacking the registry to fully remove Calibre. Your way was much easier and it seems to have worked. I renamed that folder and tried again but it was still the same thing. So I renamed the folder, reset my Kobo to factory and started over. I imported the same library but now everything seems to be working. My guess is that something was wrong with one of the books on the Kobo and that was causing all the headaches. I got rid of two books that I suspect were causing the problem.
Everything looks good now.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by Jafofubar; 08-11-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Jafofubar is offline   Reply With Quote