Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anne of Green Gables Series, Puzzled

I was just looking at some Amazon freebies when I came across this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anne-Green-...e+kindle+books

Where it lists the contents, I noticed that several of the Anne books were written out of order, for example: Anne's House of Dreams was written in 1917 and covers Anne's ages 25-27, yet the novel which covers ages 22-25 was written in 1936.

And there are other chronological discrepances, such as there being no book covering ages 27-34, at least, not according to this kindle compilation.

There must be some really fascinating story about why the books were written in this way. If you know it, please tell!
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables

This may help a little.
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I dug a little deeper into that page and found more info about the books.
The series:

1 Anne of Green Gables 1908 11—16
2 Anne of Avonlea 1909 16—18
3 Anne of the Island 1915 18—22
4 Anne of Windy Poplars (US & Canada)
Anne of Windy Willows (Other) 1936 22—25
5 Anne's House of Dreams 1917 25—27
6 Anne of Ingleside 1939

It seems that Book 4 had a different name in the US and Canada to the name it was given elsewhere where it was feared the title was too similar to Wind in the Willows. According to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Windy_Poplars

"The novel features a series of letters Anne sends to her intended, Gilbert Blythe, who is completing medical school. Chronologically, this book is fourth in the series, but it was the seventh book written."

More info found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Ingleside

"Anne of Ingleside is a children's novel by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. It was first published in July 1939 It is the tenth of eleven books that feature the character of Anne Shirley, and Montgomery's final published novel. (Two novels that occur later in the Anne chronology were actually published years earlier. As well, the short story collection The Blythes Are Quoted, written in 1941/42, but not published until 2009, concludes the Anne chronology.)" (Irrelevant info deleted by me.)

I'm curious as to why she wrote some of the books out of order. I suppose I'm used to modern authors like Rowling who publish parts of a series according to the chronology.

Last edited by BookCat; 09-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm curious as to why she wrote some of the books out of order. I suppose I'm used to modern authors like Rowling who publish parts of a series according to the chronology.
It's not at all uncommon - many authors "fill in the gaps" in a chronological series later on. Other examples that occur to me are the "Amelia Peabody" series by Elizabeth Peters, and the "Sharpe" series by Bernard Cornwell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not at all uncommon - many authors "fill in the gaps" in a chronological series later on. Other examples that occur to me are the "Amelia Peabody" series by Elizabeth Peters, and the "Sharpe" series by Bernard Cornwell.
If I recall correctly, the Hornblower series was also written out of order. The first book publish was actually the 6th book chronologically in the series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

What possessed Forester to publish the 6th book first? I feel like a demanding child constantly asking why, but if I was considering writing a series I would begin with the first book. It's possible that having written something expected to be a stand-alone, prequels might then be thought of, but a sequel would be more likely. One would want to continue working with the characters, take them on other adventures, allow them to grow even more. Then, having done that, maybe consider their early years.

Thinking about it, I can see how a series could grow out of sequence. Think I've answered my own question, thanks for helping.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
What possessed Forester to publish the 6th book first? I feel like a demanding child constantly asking why, but if I was considering writing a series I would begin with the first book. It's possible that having written something expected to be a stand-alone, prequels might then be thought of, but a sequel would be more likely. One would want to continue working with the characters, take them on other adventures, allow them to grow even more. Then, having done that, maybe consider their early years.

Thinking about it, I can see how a series could grow out of sequence. Think I've answered my own question, thanks for helping.
Yes, you have. For the most part, the Forester books are written more as stand alone, kind of like the James Bond novels by Ian Flemming. I believe that he started to add the earlier books as fans expressed interest in how Hornblower got to where he was. Forester, of course, didn't know that he would eventually write 5 books that occur prior to the events in the first Hornblower book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
The Chronicles of Narnia were also written out of chronological order.
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anne of green gables, chronology, mystery