Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
getxbook

http://njw.me.uk/getxbook/

source: http://njw.me.uk/getxbook/getxbook-1.1.tar.bz2

I compiled this and ripped convert and tesseract-ocr from debian. put together a few scripts to try it out. I did not bother with the GUI as it's Tcl/Tk.

result: works terribly, can't download all the needed files to convert properly.

why the heck did I post this: I thought maybe someone else might be interested enough to mess with it. I'm done, but if someone wants, I can supply a larger file with the tessdata directory to make tesseract work - it's 34Mb so I didn't post it yet.

directions: in a web browser, find a book in google books that you can preview. write down the code after the ID= part in the address. In the KUAL button for getxbook, type "./getgbook.sh code" and it should download all the pages (mostly jpg and pngs) to a directory in the current. "ls" the directory name. "mkpdf.sh directoryname" should try to build a pdf of the images into a pdf. mkocrtxt.sh is to convert the images to a tiff, then OCR the images to text files. I couldn't figure out getbnbook or getabook. Lots of other smart people out there, try "./getbnbook.sh -h"...

Have a nice day.
Attached Files
File Type: zip getxbook.zip (4.20 MB, 261 views)
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
I got getxbook on my Mac using http://brew.sh

Works a treat, I have currently downloading 42% of a 306 page book.

I also recommend installing tor, and torsocks so you can run the command anonymously. Otherwise your IP will be banned temporarily after about 35 pages.

example command line:
Code:
torify getgbook o_W9Vp4JE-QC
or use the gui (but make sure you're running tor at a system level)
Code:
getxbookgui

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 08-13-2018 at 07:08 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote