Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Question Koreader often freezes on Kobo Forma

I really love this app - been using it more than the standard interface, especially because it does PDFs so well...I also find the HISTORY feature a great way to know where I'm at...And so many other clever features.

But I've noticed it freezes alot on my Forma.

Using Koreader
2022 0501 0000

Any better one to use for my device, even an older version?

Any ideas as to causes?

* But many are not that long or big
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Define "freeze" (and the circumstances in which it happens, in *excruciating* details). All Kobo Mk.7 devices (and *especially* Mk. 9 & Mk. 10) devices suffer from various kernel issues that *may* cause kernel crashes of various severity (ranging from epdc hangs, to kernel hangs, to watchdog reboots).

The Forma should be on the stablest end of this scale, though (but, yeah, it *will* hang from time to time. From my own experience, possibly exacerbated for primarily image-based workflows).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

When I say freeze, I mean an extended period where doing either of the following does absolutely nothing, for such a length of time that I feel the need to reboot using the power button:
- touching or swiping the screen (100% non-responsive)
- sometimes: pressing the power button once (non-responsive)

I'd estimate it freezes once for every 2.5 hrs of use.

Questions

1. Is there a particular version of Koreader that might work best with the Forma? That isn't too lacking in features?

2. Would it be useful to post crash.log? (with book names removed if I wish) There is quite a lot in it...I also just enabled verbose debug logging...

I will use this thread to list some examples when it happens.

LIST OF APPARENT HANGS OR FREEZES

1) I call up the folder shortcuts list via a gesture:
a) one-finger swipe: right edge up
b) I tap on the top shortcut but (i find out later because it no longer exists) it takes me to the next shortcut down
c) repeat a and b (same result)
d) repeat a and b, but this time nothing happens. It's frozen (see definition above). I reboot.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 10-26-2022 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:38 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Logs are better than nothing, yeah.

FWIW, I can count on the finger on... okay, both hands ;p, the amount of actual kernel hangs I've seen on my Forma in over four years (or however long it's been released). And, if it is indeed a kernel issue, the koreader version is meaningless.

Also: those weren't excruciating details : *how* do you open the folder shortcut list, *exactly*?

I'd recommend keeping an SSH terminal open either via Wi-Fi or USBNet and see if it's *actually* hung for real (and/or if it magically stops hanging that way, because that's not unheard of either (hi, Libra 2!)).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-26-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:10 AM   #5
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

1. Do you mean if I wait, it might stop hanging? That's hopeful!

2. I envy you so few crashes! I wonder what's going on...

3. NOTE: My Forma does get pretty full sometimes.

4. Please see amended info above for latest hang...I realised that when I did go for extra detail, I guess it was a slightly unusual situation.

5. FWIW I just earlier selected 'Always abort on crash', hoping that means 'restart koreader'...so that I wouldn't have to restart the device every time. Does that mess up your idea about the SSH terminal (5)?

6. "keeping an SSH terminal open either via Wi-Fi or USBNet" - is that as hard as it sounds? It is related to my PC?

Last edited by LivresInOz; 10-26-2022 at 02:35 AM.
Advert
Old 10-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Definitely can't tell you much without those logs, but thanks for the details .

1. Depends on what's exactly hung. And even if it's only a softlock, you'd need a shell to recover. (But, yeah, power delivery "fixes" the kernel hangs on the Libra 2).

3. That can't be good, either, on a more general note, FWIW (but should be irrelevant here) .

5. Don't. That's only for Lua crashes, and nobody except a dev working on the startup code should ever need to enable this.

6. It's slightly non-trivial if you've never dealt with SSH before, yeah (doubly so if you're not running a *nix OS).
Old 10-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
WinSCP is a good way to get SSH functionality on Windows. It integrates well with PuTTY.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have version 2021.09 on my Forma and I've never had it freeze, so that may be worth trying out. I only read epubs with very few images, though.
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #9
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen-ated View Post
I have version 2021.09 on my Forma and I've never had it freeze, so that may be worth trying out. I only read epubs with very few images, though.

Thanks! Where would I find a copy of that older version?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post
I suggest trying the latest stable version. The one you have is not the current version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #11
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/tag/v2021.09
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Still haven't seen any logs... ;'(.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #13
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Still haven't seen any logs... ;'(.
Haha thanks NiLuJe for answering using my NUMBERS (above) lol...FINALLY they come in useful! I'll follow your suggestions.

I haven't posted logs yet because when it 'freezes' its all a bit vague!

But the next time it does, I will diligently upload the log!

Old 01-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #14
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

I had a freeze that I feel 100% comfortable posting, because I tried and tried and couldn't get it to work. Sadly I lost a whole bunch of highlighting on a very important project.

I'm considering setting Kobo up to save the highlights to the drive - just for the duration of this project (there is a warning in this setting that it can wear-out the drive, though I don't know how serious that is).

Just before the crash, here's what happened:
- I highlighted some text (in the mode where the pop up dialogue asks you what you want to do)
- i hit the 'highlight' button on that dialogue
- it froze right there, with the dialogue showing
I do note that my Forma is rather slow in doing this kind of operation.

Anyway, here is the log for that day, with my attempt to note where it happened (~~~):

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

01/27/23-15:04:42 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-15:04:57 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-15:38:35 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-15:38:36 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-15:38:36 INFO Inhibiting user input
01/27/23-15:38:45 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-15:44:34 INFO Inhibiting user input
01/27/23-15:44:50 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-17:40:06 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-17:40:06 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-17:57:36 INFO Inhibiting user input
01/27/23-17:57:54 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-18:07:55 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-18:07:55 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-18:12:26 INFO Inhibiting user input
01/27/23-18:12:42 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-18:12:50 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-18:12:51 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-18:12:53 INFO setting zoom mode to page
01/27/23-18:12:55 INFO Thumbnails cache: 11/500 (2.6 MB/13.8 MB)
01/27/23-18:12:55 INFO writing document to /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/File1.pdf
01/27/23-18:12:56 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File2.htm
01/27/23-18:13:41 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3 (problem occured on THIS file).pdf
01/27/23-18:13:42 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
01/27/23-18:36:19 INFO writing document to /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3.pdf
01/27/23-18:38:00 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3.pdf
01/27/23-18:38:00 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
01/27/23-18:40:32 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3.pdf
01/27/23-18:40:33 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
01/27/23-19:00:07 INFO setting zoom mode to page
01/27/23-19:00:09 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
warning: ... repeated 9 times ...
warning: unknown link uri 'http://[webpage]
Original fb rotation is set @ 1
Original fb bitdepth is set @ 32bpp
Switching fb bitdepth to 8bpp & rotation to Portrait
[FBInk] Detected a Kobo Forma 32GB (380 => Frost @ Mark 7)
[FBInk] Enabled Kobo Mark 7 quirks
[FBInk] Clock tick frequency appears to be 100 Hz
[FBInk] Screen density set to 300 dpi
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 1440x1920, 32bpp @ rotation: 1 (Clockwise, 90°)
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 11796480 bytes & line length: 5760 bytes
[FBInk] Canonical rotation: 2 (Upside Down, 180°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 32x32 (IBM (Default) base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 45 cols, Page size: 60 rows
[FBInk] Horizontal fit is perfect!
[FBInk] Detected a change in framebuffer bitdepth (32 -> 8)
[FBInk] Detected a change in framebuffer rotation (1 -> 3)
[FBInk] Reinitializing...
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 1440x1920, 8bpp @ rotation: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 11796480 bytes & line length: 1440 bytes
[FBInk] Canonical rotation: 0 (Upright, 0°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 32x32 (IBM (Default) base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 45 cols, Page size: 60 rows
[FBInk] Horizontal fit is perfect!
[FBDepth] Screen is 1440x1920 (1440x2048 addressable, fb says 1440x1920)
[FBDepth] Buffer is mapped for 11796480 bytes with a scanline stride of 5760 bytes
[FBDepth] Requested canonical rota 0 translates to 3 for this device
[FBDepth] Switching fb to 8bpp @ rotation 3 . . .
Updating bitdepth from 32bpp to 8bpp
Sanitizing grayscale flag for 8bpp
Updating rotation from 1 (Clockwise, 90°) to 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
Mangling rotate to 1 (Clockwise, 90°) to account for kernel rotation quirks
Bitdepth is now 8bpp (grayscale: 1) @ rotate: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
[FBDepth] Screen is 1440x1920 (1440x8192 addressable, fb says 1440x3840)
[FBDepth] Buffer is mapped for 11796480 bytes with a scanline stride of 1440 bytes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE: I THINK THIS IS WHERE CRASH OCCURED, BECAUSE I HAD TO RELAUNCH!

(more log below!)

---------------------------------------------
launching...
_ _____ ____ _
| |/ / _ \| _ \ ___ __ _ __| | ___ _ __
| ' / | | | |_) / _ \/ _` |/ _` |/ _ \ '__|
| . \ |_| | _ < __/ (_| | (_| | __/ |
|_|\_\___/|_| \_\___|\__,_|\__,_|\___|_|

It's a scroll... It's a codex... It's KOReader!
[*] Current time: 01/27/23-19:12:45[*] Version: v2022.11

ffi.load: libs/libutf8proc.so.2
ffi.load: blitbuffer
01/27/23-19:12:45 INFO initializing for device Kobo_frost
01/27/23-19:12:45 INFO framebuffer resolution: {
h = 1920,
w = 1440
} --[[table: 0x76ce19f8]]
[ko-input] Forked off fake event generator (pid: 1582)
ffi.load: libs/libmupdf.so
ffi.load: libs/libwrap-mupdf.so
ffi.load: libs/libfreetype.so.6
ffi.load: libs/libharfbuzz.so.0
ffi.load: libs/libzstd.so.1
PING 192.168.20.1 (192.168.20.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.20.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=8.096 ms

--- 192.168.20.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 8.096/8.096/8.096 ms
PING 192.168.20.1 (192.168.20.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.20.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=4.219 ms

--- 192.168.20.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 4.219/4.219/4.219 ms
01/27/23-19:12:48 INFO Loading plugins from directory: plugins
ffi.load: sqlite3
01/27/23-19:12:59 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3.pdf
ffi.load: libs/liblept.so.5
ffi.load: libs/libk2pdfopt.so.2
01/27/23-19:13:00 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
01/27/23-19:13:24 INFO Inhibiting user input
dhcpcd[1604]: dhcpcd not running
dhcpcd[1616]: dhcpcd not running
01/27/23-19:13:26 INFO Kobo Wi-Fi: disabling Wi-Fi
dhcpcd[1628]: dhcpcd not running
OK
01/27/23-19:13:42 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:14:19 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:14:20 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/27/23-19:18:40 INFO opening file /mnt/onboard/MyBooks-Forma/MyBooks-Forma/[folder]/[folder]/Books/Books/File3.pdf
01/27/23-19:18:41 INFO setting zoom mode to pagewidth
01/27/23-19:19:08 INFO Inhibiting user input
01/27/23-19:19:36 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:19:39 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:19:54 ERROR Kobo suspend: putting device back to sleep after 1 unexpected wakeups.
01/27/23-19:19:54 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:25:38 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:25:53 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:42:29 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:43:03 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:48:45 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:49:54 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-19:52:02 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-19:53:05 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/27/23-20:26:00 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/27/23-20:26:15 ERROR Kobo suspend: putting device back to sleep after 2 unexpected wakeups.
01/27/23-20:26:15 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/28/23-05:28:16 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/28/23-05:28:31 INFO Kobo suspend: going to sleep . . .
01/28/23-12:57:07 INFO Kobo suspend: ZzZ ZzZ ZzZ... And woke up!
01/28/23-12:57:08 INFO Restoring user input handling
01/28/23-12:57:56 INFO Exiting KOReader to enter USBMS mode...
01/28/23-12:57:56 INFO quitting uimanager with exit code: 86
[ko-input] Closed input device with fd: 7 @ idx: 2
[ko-input] Closed input device with fd: 6 @ idx: 1
[ko-input] Closed input device with fd: 5 @ idx: 0

Last edited by LivresInOz; 01-27-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's not a verbose debug log (not that it would help much anyway, except to confirm whether it's actually a deadlock vs. a softlock), but a PDF seems like a good candidate for tripping up the EPDC, FWIW.