Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 04:44 PM   #61
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
https://cals.overdrive.com (Central Arkansas Library System)
Thanks!
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:04 PM   #62
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like the St. Louis Public e-card gets you three libraries, once you get the St Louis Library card supposed to also grant access to St. Louis County Library and the St Charles-City County Library. So there’s a large selection. Says this changes it to 180,000 eBook titles, and 43,000+ audiobook titles. (see here: https://www.mylibrary.org/read-listen-watch-play) This is the one that wanted the 40.00 donation.

It doesn't look they are combined into one Overdrive account that I can tell, though.
At the top of the overdrive account it says Partner Libraries, and drops down to include the other 2.
https://stcharles.overdrive.com/

Not sure of duplicates of each, of course.
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #63
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The website says it requires in-person registration. How did they get the cards?
https://broward.ent.sirsi.net/client...0%7c%7c%7ctrue

This is for the e-card and doesn't say anything on applying in person. Maybe it's only for the physical checkouts for in person? It does seem glitchy though so who knows

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-31-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:32 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
It looks like the St. Louis Public e-card gets you three libraries, once you get the St Louis Library card supposed to also grant access to St. Louis County Library and the St Charles-City County Library. So there’s a large selection. Says this changes it to 180,000 eBook titles, and 43,000+ audiobook titles. (see here: https://www.mylibrary.org/read-listen-watch-play) This is the one that wanted the 40.00 donation.

It doesn't look they are combined into one Overdrive account that I can tell, though.
At the top of the overdrive account it says Partner Libraries, and drops down to include the other 2.

But having duplicates can be a good thing as you can pick which library has the shortest waiting list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:43 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
https://broward.ent.sirsi.net/client...0%7c%7c%7ctrue

This is for the e-card and doesn't say anything on applying in person. Maybe it's only for the physical checkouts for in person? It does seem glitchy though so who knows
Quote:
​Instant eCard: Access online resources

Gain immediate access to our complete online collection of eMedia including eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming movies and music, eMagazines, research sources and more.

* Apply on​line​ for an Instant eC​ard​

Eligibility requirements are to either currently live, work, attend school or be visiting Broward County,​ or to have been born in Broward County (regardless of current residency).
Your link applies to this card, which has a residency requirement.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 05:44 PM   #66
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Your link applies to this card, which has a residency requirement.
Hm, true. Reddit posts people said they put their addresses and were granted one - one person put in a New York address. I tried with my Florida address and will see.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-31-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:02 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hm, true. Reddit posts people said they put their addresses and were granted one - one person put in a New York address. I tried with my Florida address and will see.
If that's the case, then Broward isn't enforcing their own policies. When I get this library added to front page, it'll be listed under the "Must Register In-Person" category.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #68
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
If that's the case, then Broward isn't enforcing their own policies. When I get this library added to front page, it'll be listed under the "Must Register In-Person" category.
For the "instant access e-card only", they may not have the same requirements. I can't get half the pages to load on their website, so I can't dig around on too many pages. When you go to the applying page for the e-card, it didn't say anything about needing to be in person.

It's more likely their system just isn't' paying attention and may be handing out these e-cards without checking properly, as you said.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-31-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:07 PM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

Great catch!

Since we're only concerned with digital media, the best value for OverDrive access from these libraries is the St Louis Public Library card for $40/year. It provides the same access to all three OverDrive accounts as the other two libraries do.

Media outside of OverDrive will still require one to get separate library cards from the other two libraries and that'll be an added expense. Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

Non-residents don't qualify for free reciprocal library cards, since those cards require residency in one of the participating library districts.

St Louis Area Libraries

Non-Resident Library Cards
OverDrive Collections
Quote:
read, listen, watch, play!

If you have a valid St. Charles City-County Library card you can now check out eBook and audiobook titles from St. Louis County and St. Louis Public Libraries using OverDrive in your browser or the Libby app. Just look for the partner libraries link on the OverDrive site or click here for a Libby tutorial.
Quote:
Get access to even more titles in the Libby app!

St. Charles City-County Library, St. Louis County Library and St. Louis Public Library have teamed up to share OverDrive collections!

You can get access to available titles in all three collections. (Holds are not permitted.) Just add each library system to your account in the Libby app
Quote:
What is Reciprocity?
A reciprocal lending agreement among neighboring library districts allows St. Charles City-County Library customers to borrow materials from the participating libraries without paying special fees.

That means St. Charles City-County Library cardholders have access to more than 50 library locations throughout St. Charles County, St. Louis County, and the City of St. Louis.

How can you check out materials?
In order to check out materials from other library districts, you must have a card from the library you wish to use.

To get a card, you just visit the library of your choice, and provide acceptable identification that shows your current address and proves you are a resident and/or taxpayer of one of the reciprocal lending library service areas.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-31-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #70
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
For the "instant access e-card only", they may not have the same requirements. I can't get half the pages to load on their website, so I can't dig around on too many pages. When you go to the applying page for the e-card, it didn't say anything about needing to be in person.

It's more likely their system just isn't' paying attention and may be handing out these e-cards without checking properly, as you said.
I would call or e-mail to verify whether you need to go in person. Libraries in my area that used to require in-person activation/renewal began offering digital-only accounts without the in-person requirement during the pandemic.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #71
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would call or e-mail to verify whether you need to go in person. Libraries in my area that used to require in-person activation/renewal began offering digital-only accounts without the in-person requirement during the pandemic.
After I applied yesterday, the system emailed me my card and pin code, so I am in with that library.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After I applied yesterday, the system emailed me my card and pin code, so I am in with that library.
Congrats for being able to join another library for free.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #73
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Congrats for being able to join another library for free.
Thank you - it helps! It is a county near me, most of the counties here have small library e-book choices for residents despite Florida being an incredibly populated state. At least it opens it up a bit.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you - it helps! It is a county near me, most of the counties here have small library e-book choices for residents despite Florida being an incredibly populated state. At least it opens it up a bit.
And if they have the same book you want at other libraries, you may be able to hopefully get it sooner. That's one thing I like is being able to see which library has what I want sooner rather then later.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #75
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Well, after searching this weekend and subscribing to Stark for 30.00, I am doing pretty well. Had one library call me that is in our reciprocal county (Citrus for Polk) - they are sending me a card in the mail with a bookmark of all their libraries and a welcome packet - the librarian was super sweet. They live in a tiny county with a smaller selection of books but she was very excited to speak with me and sign me up.

The Stark came through this afternoon after paying for it after receiving the email.