Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #31
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
Has anyone been able to get multiple dictionaries working on the latest (November 2020) firmware? I have never been able to get this working and if anyone has step-by-step instructions, I'd appreciate it. I am pretty tech literate and comfortable with coding, but for whatever reason this has never worked for me.

Is there a maximum file size? My OED stardict is over 200 megs. At the moment, it will show up if I place it in the custom dictionary folder, but when I try to search it there are never any results. So I infer that it sees the file but can't read it.

On past FWs, I have been able to replace the original dictionary with this same file, which would work until a reboot or something caused it to be removed/replaced (probably because it failed CRC compared to the real file or something)
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
Has anyone been able to get multiple dictionaries working on the latest (November 2020) firmware? I have never been able to get this working and if anyone has step-by-step instructions, I'd appreciate it. I am pretty tech literate and comfortable with coding, but for whatever reason this has never worked for me.

Is there a maximum file size? My OED stardict is over 200 megs. At the moment, it will show up if I place it in the custom dictionary folder, but when I try to search it there are never any results. So I infer that it sees the file but can't read it.

On past FWs, I have been able to replace the original dictionary with this same file, which would work until a reboot or something caused it to be removed/replaced (probably because it failed CRC compared to the real file or something)
I think you mean February 2021 and not November 2020.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #33
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you mean February 2021 and not November 2020.
According to the wiki 4.25.15875 was released in November and is the most current version? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...eleases#Mark_7

mayve theres another

Edit: I had tunnel vision on my specific issue and wasn't paying close attention. Not ultimately relevant to my issue, but please disregard.

Although it's worth pointing out that I only ended up here because you, our resident curmudgeon, sent me here. Link. Maybe you didn't realize it was me.

Similarly, issssssy, the "double (or triple) post" was just trying to close the loop after I got sent here.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have solved my own problem for myself and was just hoping that someone else would find the solution useful.

Last edited by genoasalami; 02-26-2021 at 05:02 PM.
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoasalami View Post
According to the wiki 4.25.15875 was released in November and is the most current version? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...eleases#Mark_7

mayve theres another
Have you bothered to actually read this thread that was started in February 2021? Read the topic and then read the thread.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Please don’t double (or triple) post. Link to an earlier post if you must.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #36
bajillioneer
bajillioneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is there any noticeable differences in terms of performance/speed and/or lag from the last update?
bajillioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajillioneer View Post
Is there any noticeable differences in terms of performance/speed and/or lag from the last update?
I don't notice anything different in terms of performance.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #38
joshjacobson
joshjacobson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma N782
this update reset affiliate.conf

Hi all, my first post here - I just wanted to say thanks for your fantastic wiki pages! I let my Kobo Forma do its thing today, and much to my surprise the big ugly walmart logo re-appeared on the sleep/off screens (yes, I bought mine at walmart to save the $10 or whatever it was at the time). I was able to quickly find and edit affiliate.conf back to blank, after finding your wiki page from a google search. It must have been reset in this update, which has generally not been the case in past updates - so, just in case anyone else came here googling, don't fret! It's an easy fix

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Affiliate.conf

-Josh
joshjacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #39
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Note... stay away from Walmart when finally getting my own Forma, haha. Thanks.

I read old firmwares supported very true full screen viewing (near edge to edge diagonal text). Does the current allow for this? Just wondering. Oh, does margin adjustment also work on pdfs ?

Cheers and thanks all for the helps. Been a rough road trying to find ONE device to purchase (I'm not into having multiples).
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjacobson View Post
Hi all, my first post here - I just wanted to say thanks for your fantastic wiki pages! I let my Kobo Forma do its thing today, and much to my surprise the big ugly walmart logo re-appeared on the sleep/off screens (yes, I bought mine at walmart to save the $10 or whatever it was at the time). I was able to quickly find and edit affiliate.conf back to blank, after finding your wiki page from a google search. It must have been reset in this update, which has generally not been the case in past updates - so, just in case anyone else came here googling, don't fret! It's an easy fix
No, the update did not reset the affiliate. Or at least not directly. The affiliate is checked once a week. If it you change it, it could last for a week of syncs before it is "fixed". If you have had WiFi off for a while and turned it on to get update, the affiliate was probably updated at that time.

There is a workaround. When the affiliate was last checked is stored in the config file. If you set this to a date in the future, it will not be checked until seven days after that date. Adding the following should do it:

Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
LastAffiliateSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\x3!>i\x2)
There will probably already be an "ApplicationPreferences" section, so just add the other line in that section. And if you are using Windows, make sure you use a Unix line end aware editor such as Notepad++.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #41
joshjacobson
joshjacobson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma N782
haha yes indeed if I had it to do over again, I would have just spent the extra few bucks on a non-affiliated device

Thank you for the information Davidfor! I actually bought my Forma in January of 2019 and it's been on wifi and receiving updates ever since. I do remember googling around for the affiliate.conf editing trick right when I got it, but it has never flipped back on during the entire time I've had it. So perhaps not as a direct result of the update, but as an immediate indirect result, since the logo did come back immediately after the update happened.

I found the LastAffiliateSyncTime line in "Kobo eReader.conf" file and edited it to the string you provided (with unix style line breaks!) - thanks for providing that string. Is there a resource somewhere to generate those, or a documentation of the format? (just out of curiosity)

Thanks!
-Josh
joshjacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:03 AM   #42
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjacobson View Post
I let my Kobo Forma do its thing today, and much to my surprise the big ugly walmart logo re-appeared on the sleep/off screens (yes, I bought mine at walmart to save the $10 or whatever it was at the time).
No need to apologize for buying from Walmart. They had a great deal on the Kobo Clara last year.

I've also noticed that if you let the device update itself over WiFi then the affiliate will reset itself. I guess the update process must check serial numbers and apply the "correct" affiliate. It's not a problem if you sideload a new firmware.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #43
KoboH2OUser
KoboH2OUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O,PocketBook nkpad
Had some trouble after updating with Plato + Koreader + KMenu installed. The H2O did start and after about 2 minutes it froze and after about 5 minutes it rebooted. No firmware reset possible. So I disassembled it and took the sd card out, cloned it onto a 32GB one, deleted all files from the install archive and put an old firmware archive in .kobo. After restart it did a firmware reset and i had to do the installation process. When wifi was connected, it downloaded the new firmware, did the update and was working again. Put the latest Koreader + Plato + Kmenu on it again and reassembled the H2O. Took some (a lot) probably unnecessary tries over the weekend and could not find anything in searching the web. A virtual box linux mint came handy for dd and gparted.
KoboH2OUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #44
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Do you know the format of this entry?

[ApplicationPreferences]
LastAffiliateSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\ x3!>i\x2)
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #45
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
Do you know the format of this entry?

[ApplicationPreferences]
LastAffiliateSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x94h\ x3!>i\x2)
I haven't looked at that, but as an educated guess, this would just be a QDateTime as a QVariant encoded via a QDataStream (I have some code which can read a QDataStream here if you don't want to dig through the Qt source code).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release