Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #46
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
It sounds like the new home screen has been tweaked a little--can someone post a screen shot or two? I'm still thinking I prefer the old home screen and am not ready to upgrade yet because of that, but I am curious to see what the new screen looks like.

Thanks!
I do think that there are some small changes in the GUI :

Home menu

List books by authors

Menu

I changed the font on the home screen, but other than that, the books displayed are also bigger compared to previous 4.x releases.

Last edited by haidinhtuan; 05-10-2017 at 06:09 AM.
haidinhtuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #47
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
So I must bite the bullet and move to the new home screen.
Can I customise it at all?
E.g at the bottom it has Find your next great read -and- Browse...
I never go online with the Kobo, can I get rid of these
On the left it has current book -and-My Books - these are ok
At the right it has Top New Releases -and- one author apparently randomly chosen from what I have on the device. Both of these are pointless for me.
Can someone point me to instructions how to fix this, if possible?
Thanks a lot
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #48
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That is definitely an improvement to the home screen! (But I still like the old tiles best, after customization with Calibre+Kobo Utilities)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #49
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Dang, I was hoping my devices would be among the first to get this update, since they skipped the last one.

I'm gonna give it a couple of days and then seriously consider changing my affiliate or looking into sideloading.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #50
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Another change from the last version on the new homescreen is you can dismiss tiles by long pressing on them.

The touchscreen accuracy on the aura edition 2 has been fixed.

Last edited by geek1011; 05-10-2017 at 06:59 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #51
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Another change from the last version on the new homescreen is you can dismiss tiles by long pressing on them.

That worked on the old homescreen but doesnt seem to on the new homescreen???
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #52
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

The touchscreen accuracy on the aura edition 2 has been fixed.
Only the top tiles can be dismissed. If I remove all but the one I am reading I get a random selection (one of those staggered title arrays as in the second row) from the author's list. This cannot be dismissed.

Even worse, when I dismiss the current read, I get a link to the Kobo store in its position.

Last edited by llcj; 05-10-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Added last line.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #53
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, there is now an inetd.conf in /etc in the firmware with commented out lines for ftpd and telnetd.

Sent from my surnia using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Also, there is now an inetd.conf in /etc in the firmware with commented out lines for ftpd and telnetd.
I'm pretty sure that has always been there. But, I don't remember if uncommenting them works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #55
geek1011
Wizard

Here is a list of migrations I found:

Code:
11DbMigration
12DbMigrations
18ReaderDbMigrations
18SecureDbMigrations
2userPlatformMigrationDone()
2userPlatformMigrationProgress(int)
AddAbTests
AddAccessibilityState
AddAchievements
AddActivity
AddADEAnnotationXML
AddAdobeExpirationDate
AddAnalyticsEvents
AddAuthorTable
AddBookmarksTable
AddBookshelfTagsColumn
AddBTBFooterSection
AddCloudAnnotationsColumns
AddContentProperties
AddContentRatingCount
AddContentRenditionSpread
AddContentURL
AddCrowdCareMessageTable
AddCrowdCareReferenceColumn
AddDepth
AddDiscoverTitleAbTest
AddEbookLocation
AddEnglishJapaneseDict
AddEpubType
AddEventTable
AddFacebookAchievementInfo
AddFallback
AddFavouritesColumn
AddHideFromHomePage
AddImages
AddISBNColumn
AddIsHiddenColumn
AddIsSocialEnabled
AddKoboLove
AddLanguage
AddLastAccessedToShelf
AddMarketingMessageTable
AddMonetizationState
AddMultipleBookmarks
AddNewAbTestTable
AddNewAchievements
AddNewNederlandsDictionary
AddOverDriveCheckoutBook
AddPageProgressDirection
AddPocketFields
AddPortugueseDictionaries
AddProgressFields
AddPromoAbTest
AddPublishedToBookmarks
AddRatingsTable
AddRecommendationFeedback
AddRecommendationFeedbackSynced
AddReviewsSyncDate
AddReviewsTable
AddRussianDict
AddSelectedDictionary
AddSeriesIDNumberFloat
AddSeriesInfo
AddSocialChecksums
AddStackColumns
AddStackKeywordsTable
AddStackTable
AddTabTable
AddTestKey
AddTimeToWordList
AddTurkishDictionary
AddUserAuthToken
AddUserIdToBookmarks
AddUserProfileColumns
AddUserRefreshToken
AddWishlistColumn
AddWishlistedDateColumn
AddWordCount
AddWordListTable
AddWorkId
AddZoomFactor
BookShareSettings
BookShareSettings12shouldVacuumEv
bool migrate(const Device&, const QString&, int, bool*) [with Migrations = ReaderDbMigrations]
bool migrate(const Device&, const QString&, int, bool*) [with Migrations = SecureDbMigrations]
CastIDBlobToText
ChangeAchievementIds
ChangeUrlToHasUrl
CleanKeywordsAndStackTable
ClearBundledBookmark
ContentBookIDIndex
ContentBookIDIndex12shouldVacuumEv
CreatePublicationsAndContentKeys
CurrentChapterEstimate
DeleteNewspapers
DeleteObsoleteImages
DoNothing
DropIndices
DropIndices12shouldVacuumEv
DropMarketingMessageTable
EncryptDeviceIds
EncryptNickelDeviceIds
EventAppVersion
FixBrokenBookmarks
FixBrokenContentIds
FixBrokenContentIds7convertERK7QString
FixCurrentChapterProgress
FixEUPreviews
FixReadingLineHeightColumn
FNACContact
FullSyncUpdates
/home/build/n/Nickel/src/db/migrations/DbMigrations.cpp
InitialImport
LessContentTypes
LocalizedBundledContent
Migration: %1
MoveDictionaries
MoveFavouritesToShelf
NewShelves
NewSync
onUserPlatformMigrationProgress
OverDrive
OverDriveAndSyncUpdates
OverDriveLibrary
ParentTabID
PopulateKeywordsAndStackTable
RecentInBookSearches
RecreateRating
RemapNewsContentTypes
RemoveActivities
RemoveCrowdCareMessageTable
RemoveDyslexie
RemoveHelpAndWelcomeGuides
RemoveNewReleasesTile
RemoveStacks
RemoveTouchBoggleTile
RenameMessagingTable
renameSelectedFooterTab
ReparseEnglishHelpEpubs
ReparseLegalHelpEpub
ReplaceMorisawaFontsSettings
ResizeImage
ResizeImage10swapImagesERK7QStringS2
ResizeImage12migrateImageERK7QString
RestOfBookEstimate
SetDefaultReadStatus
SetPercentFields
SetUserID
ShelfPK
SMIL
Subscriptions
SwitchToUTC
SyncFixes
SyncQueue
UpdateDictionaries
UpdateJapaneseDictionaries
userPlatformMigrationDone
userPlatformMigrationProgress
UsersTable
WelcomeGuideEN
I found them with: strings libnickel.so.1.0.0|grep Migration|sed 's/D2Ev//g'|sed 's/D1Ev//g'|sed 's/D0Ev//g'|sort |uniq|cut -d_ -f3|sort|uniq|grep -v startVersion|grep -v endVersion|grep -v QSql

Last edited by geek1011; 05-10-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #56
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm pretty sure that has always been there. But, I don't remember if uncommenting them works.
It should now, I will try it. The binaries are now there in the bin folder, unlike what I saw before I think.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #57
geek1011
Wizard

I have found a newer bigger list of affiliates!

Code:
Acer
Aluratek
Aluratek2
AluratekBordersUS
AngusRobertson
BestBuyCa
BordersAU
BordersSouthernTel
BordersUS
eMachines
Ematic
Gateway
GetCodeCommand
HP
Indigo
Info
Kobo
KoboDesktop
Manager
MerchSource
PackardBell
Rakuten
RakutenCodeRequest
RakutenCodeResponseInflater
Request
ResponseHandler
ResponseInflater
Sears
Swindon
ThreeHK
ToshibaEurope
ViewSonic
WalmartCA
WalmartUS
Whitcoulls
WHSmith
The command: strings libnickel.so.1.0.0|grep ZTI|grep Affiliate|sed 's/Affiliate//g'|sed 's/_ZTI..//g'|sort|uniq
Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't take a screenshot at the moment, but, I don't think the looks have changed from the test version. Kobo have added more things to what can be displayed down the right side. The two noticeable are for an author or collection. These look pretty much the same as "My books" but have the author or collection name where "My Books" would go.
Thanks for the info. Is this user-configurable, and can it include more than one author and/or collection?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Thanks for the info. Is this user-configurable,
There is nothing obvious in the settings, but I haven't done much looking under the covers.
Quote:
and can it include more than one author and/or collection?
There are only two places these can be put, so it is limited two.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #60
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
I have found a newer bigger list of affiliates!
I got impatient and decided to try and change my affiliate in order to get a newer firmware than 4.3.8945. I went to the folder named '.kobo' and opened the affiliate file in notepad. First I changed the 'affiliate=Kobo' to 'affiliate=Rakuten'.

When I ejected my reader and tried to sync, I got a "whoops, something went wrong".

So, I went back and changed the affiliate to 'WHSmith'.

When I ejected the reader and synced, it downloaded and updated the firmware - to version 4.3.8966!

Am I doing something wrong? I've never tried to change the affiliate before. The same thing happened with my Aura One and my Aura H2O (1st edition). Maybe it is to do with my geographic location (I am in the UK).

Edit: Okay, so I tried with "BestBuyCA" as my affiliate, and now I'm running the new firmware. Yay!

I like it a lot. The icons along the top are bigger and I think it makes sense to have them this way.

Last edited by Braid; 05-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote