Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Most people just don't care about anything beyond the text if its an e-book. I wonder if they'd accept the same crap (no covers, no TOC, mangled markup, missing pages...) in paper books as well; I suppose not.
Considering some of the books I've seen people purchase in local thrift shops, there are some who would be willing to accept a book that looks as if it was last used to wrap garbage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 AM   #92
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is it just this book? Or any preview? I just tried it on my Aura H2O, which is running 4.2.8110, with no problems. I was able to find that book, and the preview for it and several others loaded OK and I could turn from the cover page.
Sorry for my late reply; I had this problem during previous firmware transition; so I have factory reset my device with cable connected and reinstalled my content. I have tried the same book preview and it loaded successfully this time; however it reset again after I have played with the font settings Whatever. Then I converted three small .docx files to Kepub with Calibre 2.75 with tablet profile to read and voila! all three files reset the device I was rich now everytime the device resets itself.

My only wish, Kobo Dev Team put an automatic crash log sending procedure via wifi for analysis after each reset; I'm sure they must have a lot of data to analyze.

edit: epub conversion worked for three files without a problem.

Last edited by aegeus; 12-23-2016 at 06:53 AM.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
Sorry for my late reply; I had this problem during previous firmware transition; so I have factory reset my device with cable connected and reinstalled my content. I have tried the same book preview and it loaded successfully this time; however it reset again after I have played with the font settings
Is it restarting when you change the font settings while looking at the preview, or for any books?
Quote:
Whatever. Then I converted three small .docx files to Kepub with Calibre 2.75 with tablet profile to read and voila! all three files reset the device I was rich now everytime the device resets itself.
Are you converting to epub first, or direct to kepub? It should be the same, but something might have crept in with the two conversions. Or it might get cleaned up. Any chance of seeing one to test?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #94
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Calibre 2.75

Came up today and supports Kobo 4.2.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried the custom menu header bar reduction by 50%. I found that it was not easy to tap the icons. I then tried 33% and that works much better.

Also, for those installing 4.2.8110, if you've had a different hyphenation dictionary, remember you'll have to reinstall. I had to reinstall to get hyphenation back to working properly.

Here's the link to the better English and French Hyphenation dictionaries.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #96
WiBu
WiBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4.2.8110 fixes the sleep cover issue. You can get a good cover now that should work. You'll be able to use your KA1 again.
That's 100% right with the Kobo origin cover. Works absolutely fine here.
WiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #97
aikidoka
aikidoka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura One
I updated my Aura H20 with the file mentionned above. Now opening an epub seems snappier. However I found there are some issues:
1. Missing collections created in the previous fw, however if I created a new one with the same name, it will appears again.

2. I cannot connect to wifi with user name and password. The new fw thinks it is a hotspot and open a blank page. This wifi connection was working before.

Not sure if I need to do a factory reset. Haven`t got a chance to do it.

Update:
I did a factory reset and the firmware reverted back to the version before 3.19 and the subsequent sync updated it to 3.19.
I didn't know the manual updating the fw is not permanent.

Update 2:
I got my Aura One and the same wifi connection issue exists (#2 above). So it is firmware issue not related to hardware.

Last edited by aikidoka; 01-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #98
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Is it worth updating H2O from 3.19 to 4.2? What are the benefits?
The wifi problem doesn't really affects me, as I don't use a wifi with username and password.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #99
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Wait for an official release would be my advice.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
Is it worth updating H2O from 3.19 to 4.2? What are the benefits?
The wifi problem doesn't really affects me, as I don't use a wifi with username and password.
4.2.8110 does work on the H2O. But, I see no benefit. I do hope we get a new firmware for the H2O sometime soonish.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #101
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks. If there is no real benefit, then I don't see the reason to mess with the update.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
Thanks. If there is no real benefit, then I don't see the reason to mess with the update.
I think any benefits to 4.2.8110 is for the Aura One and the Aura Edition 2.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #103
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Wait for an official release would be my advice.
Its out for everything but the Mini since a few hours ago. http://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/...mware.html#4.2

Sent from my XT1527 using Tapatalk
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote