Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #61
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Oh well, that didn't last long. After playing with it for a few hours, I realized that the two-finger light adjustment is still a bit wonky. It sometimes (most of the times) works almost immediately, and other times it decides to wait a couple of seconds before responding, but I wasn't able to discern any pattern. It seems like once it works then it works reasonably well, until the next time it doesn't. Why can't they fix this?

So it's back to 3.12.1 for me. Thankfully you can easily roll firmware releases forwards and backwards on Kobo readers -- though I have a feeling it's going to bite me one of these days.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you want to go back to such an obsolete firmware version just for the light adjustment?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #63
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you want to go back to such an obsolete firmware version just for the light adjustment?
You mean why would I go back to a firmware that actually works instead of "upgrading" to one that doesn't?

Because of the nature of my job, I do a lot of reading in environments with inconsistent lighting and regularly use the two-finger swipe on my Kobo to adjust the brightness. Having this feature work predictably and reliably is critical as far as I'm concerned. It's not something I should have to fuss with. It should just work, and on 3.12.1, it does.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #64
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Two-finger light adjustment?
Try a single-finger slide along the left margin.
It works reliably for me now, and is much more responsive with the upgrade.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #65
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Why has there been no update for a year on mark 5 hardware? Hell the Glo HD which is mark 6 like the aura edition 2 and the aura one isn't getting updated...?! I'm thoroughly confused and more then a little disappointed that the not that old devices were seemingly abandoned
Diruuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #66
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post

It's a two-finger slide on the Aura.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #67
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diruuo View Post
Why has there been no update for a year on mark 5 hardware? Hell the Glo HD which is mark 6 like the aura edition 2 and the aura one isn't getting updated...?! I'm thoroughly confused and more then a little disappointed that the not that old devices were seemingly abandoned
Bad timing and bug fixes. There is usually an update for the older devices about a month after a new device is released. Unfortunately, Kobo have needed to sort out the problems with the Aura ONE, so have concentrated on that and not released to the other devices yet. Kobo have not abandoned the older devices and there will be a release in the new year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
You mean why would I go back to a firmware that actually works instead of "upgrading" to one that doesn't?

Because of the nature of my job, I do a lot of reading in environments with inconsistent lighting and regularly use the two-finger swipe on my Kobo to adjust the brightness. Having this feature work predictably and reliably is critical as far as I'm concerned. It's not something I should have to fuss with. It should just work, and on 3.12.1, it does.
I'm on the latest 3.19 and it works. I prefer to be on the latest firmware unless there is a deal breaker and there isn't. It is better than 3.12.1.

I might be giving the 4.2 firmware a go once my H2O gets a full charge. I just have to look at the patches first.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #69
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm on the latest 3.19 and it works.
I suppose it depends on what features you find the most valuable. Having a front-light that can not be reliably adjusted using the two-finger swipe is a deal-breaker for me.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #70
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
I didn't even know that was an option... I'll give it a try.

Edit: Must be device specific. It doesn't work on my 6" Aura.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 12-21-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #71
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Odd -single-finger light-level works fine on my H2O and Aura One.

I never heard of using two fingers - perhaps that's why it's flaky for some people...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Odd -single-finger light-level works fine on my H2O and Aura One.

I never heard of using two fingers - perhaps that's why it's flaky for some people...
The two finger light adjustment is a feature specific to the orignal 6" Aura with the capacitive touch screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #73
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue LikeBook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yes, the next version of Calibre should support the new database version (given the usual release schedule, on Friday). You can also go into the properties of the KoboTouch driver (Calibre Preferences => Plugins => Device Interface plugins => KoboTouch => customize plugin => Metadata, On Device & Advanced => check Attempt to support newer firmware.
Most excellent
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #74
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Oh Gosh, Kobo sure is taking their sweet time to get their act together. Its been like, half a year and several updates and they've only *just* managed to *maybe* fix the auto-brightness issue...! I dont mean to be a negative Nancy and start fights or whatever (because I do love my Aura one more than any ereader ever) but hot damn, i'm still getting words cut off the sides of kepubs (that ive bought) in full screen mode, as well as numerous other bugs that are really testing my patience... I really dont feel like reinstalling the patch every time a new firmware comes out just so my Kobo can display text infull screen properly but them's the breaks... the auto-light still works pretty poorly and would still love to see ligatures in kepubs... it took them a few months to fix the software to show whether you have actually read a book or not... why are these updates so slow and honestly kind of poor?

Anywho, rant over, grrr...
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #75
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Successfully upgraded my Kobo Glo (Mark 4) to FW 4.2.8110.
Now trying to apply Metazoa patches and Nightmode patch. After that I'll study it's performance and will revert back.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote