Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Aura Lights Leaking / Bleeding Around the Borders

I had to exchange the Aura twice this week because of the lights leaking around the top border. Anyone having this issue or could this be a batch issue? IMO, it's super annoying and very distracting to read at night.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I went through three Aura's, two of which had the exact problem you described. If you look in the Aura Impressions thread you can read about it. Anyhow, between that and other issues, I decided to just go with the AuraHD instead and do not regret it one bit.

For what my two cents is worth, I'd just get your money back and wait and see if the Aura improves over the next few months or so.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you don't get a better one when you exchange it, +1 to what mr_nihilism says about getting a refund and waiting for a couple of months to see if it improves. Similar to the Kindle PW and all it's colour blotches last year, and the Kobo Glo and it's blue light, the issues seem to be more down to quality control than anything else, and they should improve in time. With both the PW and Glo last year, if you bought them four months after they were released, you were far less likely to get one with any issue.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Finally it took me 6 exchanges from 2 different location to get a perfect Aura. If it isn't the light leaking it would be a bright white dead pixel that annoys me. There are some serious quality control issue and I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of returns on these devices.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
rone1986
Enthusiast
rone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I had to exchange the Aura twice this week because of the lights leaking around the top border. Anyone having this issue or could this be a batch issue? IMO, it's super annoying and very distracting to read at night.
I know your pain. I posted about my experience on this very forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224457

Unfortunately I purchased directly from Kobo as no Aussie retailers are stocking the Aura 6", so my only choice was to return the device directly to Kobo and await a replacement. They mistakenly sent me an Aura HD instead. The trials and tribulations continue.

I'm happy you found a satisfactory replacement. It gives me slim hope that my replacement, when I eventually receive the correct one, may be okay.
rone1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
thymaster
Zealot

^^ Haha, I just went through that thread and another super Aura experience thread and found many more reports of defective screens. I thought I was the only one at first but I'm happy now that I found a perfect one.

I hope the product manager at Kobo reads this and take these new Aura off the shelves immediately with a fix. Not only will it cost them a lot of money but customer experience will go down the drain fast.

Other then that I love the new Aura. I think they got a good product going on, or perhaps the best on the market right now. The hardware and software are well engineered. They just need to touch up on the quality control.

Last edited by thymaster; 10-15-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi! Can one of you still with the light leaking/bleeding device post a picture? (if the defect is indeed visible in a picture)
I'd like to understand this kind of problem, I have a perfect aura hd but I follow the aura threads and I'm curious as to how this looks like!
When they announced the new Aura and I had had my Aura HD for a few weeks only I felt a bit sad, I would have gone for a Mini if it had a light, so a new smaller aura was appealing to me, but I'm super glad now I got the HD.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
rone1986
Enthusiast
rone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beautyrone1986 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Other then that I love the new Aura. I think they got a good product going on, or perhaps the best on the market right now. The hardware and software are well engineered. They just need to touch up on the quality control.
Yeah, I too loved the Aura 6" while I had it. As you say, it is a good device. I really liked the form factor (light and compact), the software (Pocket integration was a brilliant idea) and the hardware (always quick and responsive with 2,500+ books loaded). That's why I'm hanging out for an acceptable replacement unit to arrive, rather than just keeping the Aura HD they sent me by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
Hi! Can one of you still with the light leaking/bleeding device post a picture?
Images attached FYI. The light bleed is easy to see, but the raised layer is slightly harder to see in daylight. I could push the raised layer down, and obviously the light bleed would then stop, but whatever adhesive Kobo used wouldn't hold and it just kept on rising a shot time later, causing the light bleed to appear again.

As thymaster says, it's a great device. Just a pity their quality control and customer service aren't up to scratch (to lean more about my customer service experience, check out my Customer care / RMA experience thread ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light bleed.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	113371   Click image for larger version

Name:	raised layer.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	113372  
rone1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
@rone1986
thanks for the pics! I definitely see it °_°
glos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura 6"