Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
REALLY basic, basic, basic questions

I would like to get hold of a kindle. The ONLY reason I want one is to check the formatting on some stuff I'm preparing for publication - basically it will be a sort of proof-reading tool. So, I'll probably buy one second hand.
I don't know anything about kindles so I thought I'd turn to the mobileread massive for some expert advice.
Are there any things I should bear in mind before parting with the cash?
Are some versions better than others?
Are there any known issues with any particular versions?
Do they use generic connectors, chargers, etc?
What would you want to know before you paid for one (obvs it must be legit)?
Thanks in advance for all assistance.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
- Touch series are arguably the "current edition" kindles. This is the KTouch and the Paperwhite.
- What's "better"? Some have other means of data input, more or less storage space, higher or lower resolution and there's now one with illumination. In fact, the hardware is also a bit different, but K1, K2 and arguably KDX aside, that's not so noticable. The change in software from K3 to K4 (and to some extent K4 to K5) is more relevant, but I would classify it as "being different" rather that "better".
- As for the Paperwhite, that should be obvious from looking at the current threads. And some minor issues are present with other devices, but they are not likely to bite you for "light use", especially considering the purpose you're describing.
- Yep, generic connectors. So you can use generic chargers. Well, chargers can break and behave badly, just keep that in mind when you notice your $1.50 USB charger plug burst into flames.
- legit and working.

If I were in your position and had to turn every dollar twice, I'd settle with the cheapest one I could get my hands on, except for K1 and K2 (KDX won't be the cheapest and if it were, it would be a nice bargain).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kindlepreviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
I would like to get hold of a kindle. The ONLY reason I want one is to check the formatting on some stuff I'm preparing for publication - basically it will be a sort of proof-reading tool. So, I'll probably buy one second hand.
I don't know anything about kindles so I thought I'd turn to the mobileread massive for some expert advice.
Are there any things I should bear in mind before parting with the cash?
Are some versions better than others?
Are there any known issues with any particular versions?
Do they use generic connectors, chargers, etc?
What would you want to know before you paid for one (obvs it must be legit)?
Thanks in advance for all assistance.
Download Kindlepreviewer.exe from the Kindle area on Amazon.com, it'll simulate all of the past & current Kindle models' display characteristics on a PC.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Download Kindlepreviewer.exe from the Kindle area on Amazon.com, it'll simulate all of the past & current Kindle models' display characteristics on a PC.
Brilliant! I didn't know it existed. Thanks very much alansplace, that's saved me some time and money
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote