Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
kleron
kleron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Question Epub to Mobi image conversion problem

Hello,

I am trying to convert an epub to mobi using Calibre but the resulting file becomes four times larger. The input file is 700k whereas the mobi file is 3.1 MB. I thought this was bizarre and unpacked the mobi file using Mobipocket Unpacker script. The images in the resulting folder were all converted to jpegs and were a lot larger, because originally I was using optimized gifs. Since I have around 100 images in my book this becomes a problem.

So, I wonder if there is a way to tell Calibre not to touch images when converting from epub to mobi. I know Kindle supports gifs, so it is not a problem. I try to keep the file size as low as possible, because of the Amazon's additional delivery charges.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
kleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest you investigate using KindleGen to go from ePub to Mobi instead. That will leave your pictures alone.

Or (if you need some of the clever CSS interpretation that calibre provides) you could take the output from Mobiunpack, copy back in the original pictures, tweak the HTML to refer to the GIFs instead of JPEGs, and use that as source into KindleGen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
kleron
kleron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Thanks a lot. Second suggestion did the trick. Brilliantly.
kleron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, gif, image, plugin