Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Forma Firmware 4.11.11911

New firmware for the Forma is out today. If you sync your kobo you should get it.

Most notable change I’ve seen is you can now enable or disable the header and or the footer in kepubs

I’ve not looked for other features yet. This update did not come to my KA1 just to my Forma.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can a mod edit the topic I mistyped it’s 4.11.11911
Old 10-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I've updated my Forma to this new firmware level, hoping it fixes the issues I have with it freezing, we shall see.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I am seeing "swipe to unlock" when waking my Forma from sleep, can't say I recall ever seeing that on any other Kobo Firmware before.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been seen, there is new firmware for the Kobo Forma. This is the expected first release for the device. I do not believe that this will be released for the other devices. But, I would expect a release in a month or so.

The release notes are (my comments are in bold):
  • Page-turn buttons:
    • While reading, press a page-turn button to go forward or back one page
    • If you want to swap the buttons, go to Settings > Reading settings > Button controls,
    • While reading, press and hold a page-turn button to flip through pages quickly
  • Read left-handed or right-handed:
    • Simply hold your Kobo Forma in either hand and the screen will flip automatically
  • Read in landscape or portrait (not available on other devices):
    • While reading, rotate your device to read in any orientation
    • To lock into portrait or landscape while reading, tap the middle of the page to bring up the menu, then tap the Auto-rotate icon
    • Even when locked, you will still be able to hold your Kobo Forma in either hand.
  • Hide book title or footer (for all book formats - no longer need the full screen option):
    • Keep your book title private, or just give yourself space for words on the screen
    • Go to Settings > Reading settings > Page appearance
  • Reading PDF documents:
    • While reading a PDF, double-tap to zoom in, then swipe to move between sections of the page
    • Double-tap to zoom out, or use a page-turn button to move to the next page
    • While reading a PDF in landscape, you’ll automatically see half of the page. Swipe up and down to navigate through the document
  • Reading Comics (.CBR, .CBZ):
    • Performance has improved when reading .CBR or .CBZ comics, especially when zooming in
    • You can now press and hold to flip through pages quickly in .CBR and .CBZ comics
  • More enhancements:
    • Fast page flip is now faster
    • Several Wi Fi issues have been addressed
    • Enabling and disabling Wi Fi is faster and more stable

With the title and footer hidden when reading, as far as I can tell, this does not suffer the issues that the previous full screen mode did. I don't use it all the time but I couldn't find an example of the cut off text that was reported before. When the title and header are not displayed, there is still some margin. It is a little larger than I would like, but it is not as big as the space taken when they are displayed.

Bugs fixed:
  • When returning from a search or viewing an annotations, the top bar is no longer displayed.

I'm sure there was something else not, but I can't think of what. If I remember, then I'll add it here.

Hopefully, it won't be to long before an update is made for the other devices. There are some good improvements here.

Support for the Kobo Forma and this firmware version has already been added to calibre. This was included in version 3.33.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • Hide book title or footer (for all book formats - no longer need the full screen option):
This is the new feature that really got my attention. Hope it comes to my old Kobos.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I've updated my Forma to this new firmware level, hoping it fixes the issues I have with it freezing, we shall see.
Sorry to hear about the freezing. I must have missed this. Did the upgrade help?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This is the new feature that really got my attention. Hope it comes to my old Kobos.
Right? I assume the various text cutoff bugs that had to be patched out, were fixed as well.

Feels like the end of an era now that they've actually added FullScreenReading officially. Maybe it means white-on-black text is coming too.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Right? I assume the various text cutoff bugs that had to be patched out, were fixed as well.
That's what I said. But, maybe I just happened to only use books that never had this problem.

And it will come to the other devices as part of the next update to them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Can a mod edit the topic I mistyped it’s 4.11.11911
Done, but please use the "report post" facility to request this in future. We only became aware of this when someone else reported it on your behalf (which they really shouldn't have to do!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Download link mark 7 http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...4.11.11911.zip (firmware locked, can't be extract)

Last edited by oren64; 10-23-2018 at 09:39 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Download link mark 7 http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...4.11.11911.zip (firmware locked, can't be extract)
It seems to unpack OK for me. It behaves like every previous firmware. Have I missed something?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Done, but please use the "report post" facility to request this in future. We only became aware of this when someone else reported it on your behalf (which they really shouldn't have to do!).

Thanks noted for the future
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
It unpacks OK for me too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It seems to unpack OK for me. It behaves like every previous firmware. Have I missed something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It unpacks OK for me too.
I Don't know why it didn't work for me, I will try again latter, thanks.

Last edited by oren64; 10-23-2018 at 09:40 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote